Tamiya 1/72 Corsair F4U

All, I will be building the 1.72 Tamiya Corsair F4U. Not sure which markings yet but all OOB..... looking forward to starting what is reportedly a very nice OOB kit

photos by the end of the week

Edited by robw_uk

This kit is next on my list after the A-10 I'm building for this GB, so I'll be watching your build with interest and getting as many tips as I can! :)

J.

I wouldnt look for tips from me ;-) bad idea ;-) lol

hope to get this kicked off tonight so photos and a little progress to follow... will begin with the cockpit and fuel tanks then progress as prescribed in the instructions.... (better to paint the individual cockpit parts first???)

A Nice Corsair is always welcome - as to the cockpit parts normally it's easier to paint as much as possible as sub-assemblies before joining it all together, but it depends on the model. I always tend to paint the instrument panels at a minimum separately.

HTH

A Nice Corsair is always welcome - as to the cockpit parts normally it's easier to paint as much as possible as sub-assemblies before joining it all together, but it depends on the model. I always tend to paint the instrument panels at a minimum separately.

HTH

Peter,

the cockpit is one of the nicest I have done in 1.72 - made up of 6 or so pieces.... hit it wilth the ModelMaster Interior Green yesterday (it works OK with Humbrol Enamel thinner but I think the paint itself is thinner than humbrol to start with - note to self dont overthin)..... so base of green is done ahead of the black and instrument colours, IP decals and then weathering...

note for GB Mods - I know I need to post photos, took sprue shots before I Started so will put them up (hopefully tomorrow) and then start with progress pics......

That's looking great Rob, and it shows how a cockpit decal can be effective, unlike the ones on my A-10! Keep up the good work and post more pics, as you know I've got a personal interest in this one! :)

J.

That's looking great Rob, and it shows how a cockpit decal can be effective, unlike the ones on my A-10! Keep up the good work and post more pics, as you know I've got a personal interest in this one! :)

J.

thanks Jason... more progress... fuselage together, wings together, engine together.... must say the talk that tamiya kits go together well is not wrong... lovely kit to put together (shame its me doing it and ruining it later when it gets painted ;-))

_MG_0195.jpg

_MG_0197.jpg

_MG_0193.jpg

_MG_0196.jpg

Looking good Rob, love the shape of those wings!

J.

they look even better attached to the fuselage Jason ;-)..... need to get them glued in place then add engine, cowling and rear horizontals thenm its painting.... might try something new in that area - go with lightened blue undercoat then salt mask on

1) wing roots - to simulate walk ways

2) leading edges

3) upper surfaces - to simulate the fading in the pacific...

need to go find references on that lot tho

done it again.... looking for paint refs and my eye is drawn to the 8 nice rocket pods under the wings... and my mind is going... "why the fffffffffffffffff didnt i open the holes before gluing the wing halves".... did the fuel tank ones but not the rocket ones - oh well... no rockets for this aircraft!!!!!!

still struggling in finding decent (colour) painting guide to show how Pacific paint weathers... oh well.. have enough to give a breif guide in terms of fading etc.... worth trying something new anyway....

Looking good - for pacific paint it depends a lot on just who's corsair it was and where it was based.

Navy ones on carriers stayed quite clean, but Marine ones operating off coral strips got very beaten up and faded a lot.

The markings from the box are for a carrier based one, so a light fading on the upper surfaces and some light wear is probably about right. If you think about it there isn't a lot loose on a carrier deck to create chips, and the fading is caused by light so if it spends 40% of it's time under the deck it will fade less than if it was always on deck.

At the end though, it's your model so weather it how you like

Looking good - for pacific paint it depends a lot on just who's corsair it was and where it was based.

Navy ones on carriers stayed quite clean, but Marine ones operating off coral strips got very beaten up and faded a lot.

The markings from the box are for a carrier based one, so a light fading on the upper surfaces and some light wear is probably about right. If you think about it there isn't a lot loose on a carrier deck to create chips, and the fading is caused by light so if it spends 40% of it's time under the deck it will fade less than if it was always on deck.

At the end though, it's your model so weather it how you like

the box top shows VFA-84 (USS Bunker Hill) one of the others is VMF-312 based in Okinawa.... cant find any specifically "beaten up" birds from that sepcific squadron but some shots of Okinawa show them quite mucky.... so might decal based on my desire to practice a certain technique and go for Okinawa based aircraft.....

Hi Rob,

Sorry for the delay in replying to this, I only just thought of something today and it should have occured to me when you posted!

As I have the exact same kit in my stash ( in fact, it *is* my stash! :) ), if you want I can take some pictures to show you where the holes for the rockets need to be drilled, and that way you can have rockets again. It might be too late now, but let me know. Thanks...

J.

Hi Rob,

Sorry for the delay in replying to this, I only just thought of something today and it should have occured to me when you posted!

As I have the exact same kit in my stash ( in fact, it *is* my stash! :) ), if you want I can take some pictures to show you where the holes for the rockets need to be drilled, and that way you can have rockets again. It might be too late now, but let me know. Thanks...

J.

Jason,

that would help - least then I have the choice (think I know where they are but with a photo to help.........

No worries at all! I'm guessing the easiest thing to do would be for me to drill them out on my kit, as at least then I can take pictures of the underside of the wing. That makes it as easy as possible for you to compare them to your already closed wing. You've got the Fuel Tanks done, right? I'm not planning to add the fuel tanks to mine ( but I think I probably need to drill the holes anyhow to fit the fuel tank pylons? ).

Anyhow, I'm going out tonight but will get this done for you tomorrow evening at the latest and I'll post the pic here. Thanks...

J.

cheers Jason, yeah to fit the fuel pylons you need to drill the holes tolo... I had done that but read somewhere taht the rockets were unusable so didnt drill the hole.. however I now know the model I am building would;ve had them so therefore i need to drill.......

Ah, so that makes me ask then - which one are you building? I plan to do the one on the front of the box ( with the Yellow cowling ); would that one have rockets or not? Though, to be honest, whether it did or not probably won't stop me from adding them, and therefore it won't stop me from drilling... :)

J.

Here you go Rob, I managed to get this done tonight. Hope it helps, let me know if you need better pics from different angles etc...

J.

Holes1.jpg

Holes2.jpg

Holes3.jpg

Edited by Jasonb13

Ah, so that makes me ask then - which one are you building? I plan to do the one on the front of the box ( with the Yellow cowling ); would that one have rockets or not? Though, to be honest, whether it did or not probably won't stop me from adding them, and therefore it won't stop me from drilling... :)

J.

I am doing the Okinawa based one (white check nose & tail) mainly cos everyone builds the one on the front ;-) I get the impression from looking at images & reading on the web that all 3 of the ones in the kit are old enough to need rockets - one of the websites (not sure c=whic) GAVE THE bu NUMBER AFTER WHICH ALL f4u-1D had rockets... think the 3 in the box are all afte rthat)

Nice one, thanks for checking that, it saves me doing the research! Though, like I said, I'd probably hang rockets off it anyhow, I'm not too worried about accuracy. I'm gonna build the one on the box 'cos I just like the Blue / Yellow look ( and it'll help me use the last of my White primer, as I've heard Yellow looks better over white ). Am actually thinking of holding onto this kit 'til the Pacific GB which I think starts in July. Gives me a chance to practice some more before hand, I've bought a couple of 1:144 kits for exactly that reason.

J.

Edited by Jasonb13

must say it looks good with blue paint... not hanging the rockets on (personaly decision, so sue me!!!).... photos of painted version coming soon