1/72 Spitfires

• 4 weeks later...

BTK Spit being built in conjunction with review in SAMI April edition.Thought I would just build this one as per kit but I think I should have tried his mod of 10 thou

plasticard between top and bottom starboard wing halves at the root leading edge. as it is turning out wonky. Will try with next one as I have a stash of them .(On offer at Toymaster £3.99) Do not really understand his mod but hopefully will explain itself once I try it.

Also the pilot is leaning causing canopy fit problems due to the thickness of the moulding!

P1010586.jpgP1010580.jpg

P1010582.jpg

Postscript .

My father was stopping on the Woodhall Spa campsite last Fiday 6/5/2011 and saw a spectacular aerobatic display from one of the BBMF Spits. Was walking by the Petwood Hotel ,some old boys were on the lawn in their RAF blazers. Came in below treetop level before aerobating!

Edited by roys

• 3 weeks later...

Still hoping to make the deadline.Progress so far

P1010615.jpgP1010587.jpg

P1010591.jpgP1010610.jpg

Plus more photos at Spitfire Summer 2011

BTK is the one with camo. Not happy with the wing to fuselage joint & will try filling/sanding/painting. Masking for the green would have been better if I had used my Xacto knife with the swiveling blade,rather than a standard

blade which lead to curved lines made out of straight ones!Going to try altering them with a flat brush and a small amount of paint-or does anyone thing I will do more harm than good?

Canopy is a bit of a disaster & intend to remove repolish & start again.

Remembered whilst in the bath about my Scale Models B of B Special which I bought 29 years ago!!!!!!

Quite interesting reading the articles, all 1/72, by Ray Rimel and a certain N L Robinson did the Camouflage markings and text. Had not read the articles much over the years as I was a flying models man.

Picture of tail of BTK shows the fine raised panel lines- the new mold kit seems to have etched panel lines as deep as the gaps between the control surfaces which is a shame.

Will have fun experimenting with how to highlight them.

Intend to finish BTK as the fictional BTK and the Vb as the boxart.

Picture of tail of BTK shows the fine raised panel lines- the new mold kit seems to have etched panel lines as deep as the gaps between the control surfaces which is a shame.Will have fun experimenting with how to highlight them.

Intend to finish BTK as the fictional BTK and the Vb as the boxart.

Have you tried dry brushing raised panel lines?

The builds are coming along nicely. Hope you meed the deadline.

Stewart

Bit more progress tonight. Sprayed top surface of Vb with Revell Aqua 47 mousegray which is an equivalent to Humbrol 106 Ocean Grey. Bottom has been sprayed Humbrol 165 Medium Sea Gray. Not too sure how accurate or realistic they are, but will have to wait until the models are complete & varnished to tell. Prefer spraying Humbrol but the end result of the Aqua seems OK , hope its not too fragile for the rest of the build. Agua is very kind to the airbrush & no smells in the house!

P1010621.jpgP1010616.jpg

First picture flash on, second off.

Off to Bruntingthorpe so will resume Monday/Tuesday. Been doing a bit of secret lunchtime modelling at work to try & speed things up!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

After Bruntingthorpe decided to put the VB on hold and concentrate on BTK as I want modelling to remain enjoyable and not a rushed stressed affair.

Sprayed BTK with gloss Xtracrylix Friday evening which bunged up my single action airbrush instantly, switched to the Eclipse which was OK due to the shorter paint track. Am convinced gloss Xtracrylix produces a satin

finish just like the matt! Cleaning both AB's was a big job and will try a cheapo Humbrol sprayer next time.

Decalled Saturday morning before going to Manchester to see Take That with SWMBO!!!!!!!!!!

Glad I have done BTK as it is a fictional scheme but have not used the yellow wing roundels ,to make it look more convincing and I enjoy making models with a twist and seeing how many people notice.

Will post up piccies this evening.