Harrier chat

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone else found on the 1/48 Hase/Revell kit that the intakes seem a lot wider then the fuselage where they meet? <_<

Yep, on my AV-8B I have had to faff about with them quite a bit to make them sit flush with the rest of the fuselage. Sand, dry-fit, sand, dry-fit.......

They do fit after a little while though, just take your time ;)

Early Harrier u/c bays -White + dirt.

Hasegawa/Revell GR7/9 intake fit... I had a similar problem with my first couple because I didn't tape part B3 in place to keep the top of the fuselage halves the correct width when joining the halves toegther and fitting the fan and bellmouth. Without B3 taped in place the tendency is to make the upper fuselage too narrow so you have to whittle it or B3 down a bit to fit. Because the fuselage is too narrow, the intakes don't fit well.

However, if you tape B3 in place to keep the width correct, not only does it make fitting the front fuselage, B3 and the LERX easier, it also solves the intake width issue. Simples.

(My thanks to Alan Firbank for the tip gleaned from the June 2011 issue of 'Airfix Model World' magazine.)

Hope that helps,

Nick

Edited by NG899

Nick, thats a great tip. I will certainly use that method on my next haseharrier after the hassle I had on the current one, cheers :thumbsup2: .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Craig! You're very welcome to join the GB, looks like a great project you've got there. Just start up a build thread in the main builds section.

I think it's probably a bit more than 25% built though, so in fairness to a few others that had part built projects, it won't be eligible for the poll at the end of the build. Hope you're OK with that. :)

Nils, you could have done some VAAC markings on that sheet, gah!, just have to be patient I guess! Those transfers look great by the way.

Just purchased an Airfix T10/TAV8B off of Ebay today £9.99 + P&P., so I'm quite happy!! I shan't be building it though - not in its entirity anyway. The nose section will be used and grafted on to the new GR7/9 when it comes out, AND the GR5 nose will also be used on another new GR7/9. I may still graft the redundant section from the T10 donor kit and build another GR7...maybe.......In the meantime I've started on my GR3 - well I've removed the resin of the NeoMega seat and forced it into the esci pit!!!

So - should have at the end of this GB.. a new SHAR1, a new SHAR2 (hmmm.. we'll see!) a new GR3, a new GR5 and a new T10 - all in 1/72nd!!

Just saw a pretty daft specsavers ad, the only interesting part of which was the hapless protaganists ended up on the "deck of a carrier" lined with a few T2s (T4s?) and one doing a conventional downwind landing. Anyone know anything about the Harriers used?

Hi there. No it's not too late, you can join anytime. Just have a quick look at the rules at the top of the Harrier GB section and start up a thread for your build as a 'New topic'.

What have you got in mind to build?

Just purchased an Airfix T10/TAV8B off of Ebay today £9.99 + P&P., so I'm quite happy!! I shan't be building it though - not in its entirity anyway. The nose section will be used and grafted on to the new GR7/9 when it comes out, AND the GR5 nose will also be used on another new GR7/9. I may still graft the redundant section from the T10 donor kit and build another GR7...maybe.......In the meantime I've started on my GR3 - well I've removed the resin of the NeoMega seat and forced it into the esci pit!!!

So - should have at the end of this GB.. a new SHAR1, a new SHAR2 (hmmm.. we'll see!) a new GR3, a new GR5 and a new T10 - all in 1/72nd!!

Bums!!!! Airfix T10 arrived and guess what....the fuselage was missing! Along with a piece of canopy, and I suspect a few other parts too!! So contacted seller and await to see if he still has the parts. Don't want to send it back as I really fancy a T10 conversion...

Thing is, it was advertised as unopened - but clearly this was not the case. Now I've traded on EBay loads of times, and whereas I know that accidents happen - do people not check these things before they pack them up and send them?

Bums!!!! Airfix T10 arrived and guess what....the fuselage was missing! Along with a piece of canopy, and I suspect a few other parts too!! So contacted seller and await to see if he still has the parts. Don't want to send it back as I really fancy a T10 conversion...

Thing is, it was advertised as unopened - but clearly this was not the case. Now I've traded on EBay loads of times, and whereas I know that accidents happen - do people not check these things before they pack them up and send them?

Still waiting to hear from the vendor --- BUT in the meantime bought an Italeri TAV8B off of EBay - for a tenner incl p&p which ain't bad. I'll only be using the nose and fin anyway - so a tenner for a conversion set ain't bad - though I'll be adding some resin MB Mk 12's to the 'pit I think..... I'll have to re-think how I attack the GR5 now though - I think I may have a spare nose or two in the spares box....and then again................"Milliput - the scratch-builder's friend!"

• 1 month later...
I'll have to re-think how I attack the GR5 now though

At the risk of being denounced as an heretic, I'm just gonna graft on the Quickboost GR5 nose, modify the instrument panel and use the 65% LERX. My reasoning? I have compared as many images as I can without going crosseyed of GR5/7/9 wingtips and I cannot see any differences to them. I can find one difference between GR5s and 7/9s in the upper sensor on the ventral fin, and even this seems to have changed before the GR5 production run was complete to match the sensor fit on the GR7/9.

So, apart from maybe using gun pods (Pavla, you guys reading this?!) instead of the LIDS, this Airfix Harrier is a very sound basis for any RAF/NSW Harrier GR5/7/9. Especially if you have the old Airfix Hi-Tech RAF/NATO Weapons set which will give you just about every weapon the Harrier has ever carried when combined with the kit provided ordnance.

In short, I've only bought one of these so far, but I will be filling the stash with more!

Mark.

At the risk of being denounced as an heretic, I'm just gonna graft on the Quickboost GR5 nose, modify the instrument panel and use the 65% LERX. My reasoning? I have compared as many images as I can without going crosseyed of GR5/7/9 wingtips and I cannot see any differences to them.

Having has another look, the difference is tiny - on the later GR7/9 there is an additional 'pip' just forward of the wingtip navigation light on the port side at least - the other difference is that the later aircraft have a 'green' nav light cover on both wing tips

You can see it here:

http://data.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_col...er_GR.7_014.jpg

Early GR7s had a red port navigation light, so it's not a specific GR5/7 difference - IIRC the later nav lights are NVG compatible

Early GR7s had a red port navigation light, so it's not a specific GR5/7 difference - IIRC the later nav lights are NVG compatible

That is the case, the red nav lights and antil collision strobes were found to not show up on NVG's. And now that you've pointed the wee pip, it's so glaringly obvious! The other difference (just in case anyone has missed it) is that you'll need to replace the Sidewinder launch rails with the earlier (non BOL type). Along with the gun pods, these can be sourced from the earlier Airfix kits. An alternative source would be the new tooling of their Hawk T1a. If you need decals for your GR5 conversion, look no further than Modeldecal sheet 100 as it comes with a full set of stencils/national markings for the green schemed GR5s, and are a lot better quality than the original Airfix offerings.

Mark.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for decals for my 1/72 GR.3. All I have are the kit decals (Airfix) which are for a wrap around camo scheme. I would love to do one with the lower parts painted in medium grey with a hard demarcation line. Anyone know if there are markings for this early scheme?

Thanks,

David

I'm looking for decals for my 1/72 GR.3. All I have are the kit decals (Airfix) which are for a wrap around camo scheme. I would love to do one with the lower parts painted in medium grey with a hard demarcation line. Anyone know if there are markings for this early scheme?

Thanks,

David

Good Morning and welcome. What you need is the Harrier OCU sheet from A2zee models. It is great quality and well researched (by the IPMS Harrier SIG) and option 3 gives you a GR3 with Light Aircraft Grey undersides. I have bought it and I can heartily recommend it!

Here's a link for the sheet http://www.a2zeemodels.co.uk/the-harriers-...2-77-4759-p.asp

Mark.