ACE 1/72 BRDM 1

Deon

With workspace ever decreasing, I thought I'd find a small project I can build in bed for 20 minutes or so each night, so here's my ACE BRDM. It fits where it touches and will need a bit of wire to amke somes handles, otherwise, just some files to sharpen up the soggy looking kit parts. I put the four hull parts together last night, next - the unnecessarily complicated running gear .

The kit comes with Soviet and DDR markings, but I fancy something African or Middle Eastern. options would be Afghanistan, Albania, Bulgaria, Congo, Cuba, Guinea, Mozambique, Sudan and Zambia, time to google :)

brdm1-1.jpg

Edited by Deon

looking forward to this. if you dont use the DDR decals, could you send em my way please :-)

looks ok for the price, ok a bit soft around the edges but ok

looking forward to this. if you dont use the DDR decals, could you send em my way please :-)

looks ok for the price, ok a bit soft around the edges but ok

Will do , just drop me a pm with your address

• 1 month later...

at last a bit of progress, strangely I only get anything done when im off ill, thank the modelling gods for 'manflu'.

All the bit are together apart from the headlights which Ill add when i find something appropriate. I found most of the smaller items almost unuseable and the major items fitted only where they touched. Still here she is.. brdm1-2.jpg and...

brdm1.jpg

I'll probably do this as an Indonesian license built machine in grey or a speculative green and dusty FAPLA machine from Angola. The Indonesian one appears to have no markings, so Ill be doing a medium gloss grey undercoat. If I like it, it stays, if not, on goes the green, just need to find some suitable numerals for an ex cuban FAPLA vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

The BRDM one was also used and for this I have touchable, fotographable,inclimbable, unfortunately no longer driveable etc etcable proof the angolan Machines was a kind of lush satinish green and some were captured by the SADF during the bush war one is currently on display at the School of Armour museum along with a whole bunch of russian made armour including a wide range of the T series tanks personell carriers 2 different types of PT76's one a command car and also some GAZ trucks and a BMP2 that was used in a rambo movie if memory serves.

Regards:

Shaun

Fab TSA! I can't find any pics, but lush satin green it is. Im guessing that FAPLa kept the Cuban callsigns C-XXX or something like that? I dont suppose you have any links to a piccy? I've done the usual trawl include some vet's blog. Winding up the airbrush tomorrow with a new batch of greens :)

Unfortunately no links deon but:The callsigns were deleted from the vehicles after capture as any and all so called revolutionary thingys was taboo in the years of the bushwar.But then again if I were to take a not so very educated gues and according to the DVD set called "Bosoorlog" (translated as Bushwar) the callsigns would have been unique to FAPLA.The reason for above mentioned is that the cubans arrived towards the end period of the war and actually tried to keep a low que.The cubans were "up there" only as "advisors" and not as soldiers.I work with some exAPLA and MK members and even according to those that were doing their so called training up in Angola the Cubans was not always a welcome addition, they tended to be very inhumane Think camp quatro etc. and they never went out in the frontlines rather choosing to act as section commanders and also accepted no retreat Shooting the blokes that tried to retreat onthe spot for desertion.The FAPLA commanders were also very proud of their own heratage and would rather have used callsigns unique to their organisation(almost always copied from the russians and converted to english e.g I used to have a commander with the "battle name" of wet fish and another with the name Lion of Zion.But that said let me see what I can dig up and then get back to you.BTW if you are planning on using humbroll enamels the closest to spot on colour will be army green.Will get the number from the paintrack and let you know.

Hi guys 1st off Blank sorry you were right.BRUISED EGO!I went back to my own photos from the armour museum and guess what the BRDM is a BRDM 2 and not a one .The rest of the above post still ring true though According to the net Angola still has a 120 BRDM1's in service but I cant as yet find pics I will stay on it though and let you know if anything pops up.I also still have to go through my anti tank text books and see if there is something in there!

Hi guys,

Thanks for all this,

I did see a pic of a wrecked Brdm 2(?) after one of the ops, not so clear, but looked like C-5xx in white on the side. I figured something like this would be ok for the Brdm 1, just need to try and match the font. Obviously it would be great to get a real number for a BRDM1 or a colour pic but, if not Ill get as close as I can. I can always redo it in the future if more evidence turns up :)

Hi Deon I searched all of the nether regions but nada!I did stumble across some links re the BRDM 2 though and will be glad to PM them to you If you want.I am however very sure that the BRDM 1 was in service with Angola and may still be as all of the sites Ive visited states that they are on Angolan inventory.As for the serial you can use pretty much any number as the FAPLAS couldnt be bothered less about the markings as long as it started and ran they were happy.A safe bet would be to use a vehicle number taken from a cuban one for the time being as according to some cuban sources they sent a fair amount of hardware to angola in the run up to Cuito.(wich they lost BTW)The articles that they write on the subject makes no sense and the propaganda pics has the wrong equipment in a lot of the cases and in the rest the "shot out" vehicles can be clearly seen to have been C4'ed.But then again that is only my and all ofthe guys that was actually there including my Father and uncles' oppinions.Good luck with the rest of the build and I am looking forward to the end result.BTW is there any african nation that you guys know of that uses the T80 besides for Libya and egypt?(Both of wich I am BTW also not sure of)

Regards..........

Thanks TSA for the info. One of my stepfathers was a merc in Angola in the nasty business with Col. Callan but I was too young to pick his brains on anything other than infantry tactics :) . Not something he wanted to talk about mostly, so I guess his memories died with him.

BRDm now undercoated with scratched headlights , probably get the main colour on tomorrow, kleared and decalled for the weekend.

Cheers

• 5 months later...

sorry for the long absence - I think I used life colour olive drab, closest i could get to the Soviet colour Ive seen on 70s russian stuff. Im hoping to redo it once i can get some better pics of Angolan stuff.