Monogram 1/72nd B-52H conversion.

I built both the AMT 1/72nd B-52G and B-52H a few years back and had the usual problems with converting the wings into a 'resting' rather than 'in flight' position. I was also a little disappointed at the level of detail in the kits, such as lack of flaps, bomb-bay and wheel-well detail.

I was fortunate enough to pick up the Monogram edition of the B-52D a few months ago, and was impressed with the dihedral of the wings, the option to have the flaps lowered, and the option to include an open bomb-bay. I had a look at my old AMT B-52H and decided it was time to do some surgery, and convert the better Monogram B-52D into a modern and current B-52H.

Out came the hack-saw and I removed the nose, tail, engines and wing tanks from the AMT kit to graft onto the Monogram kit...

DSCF4275.jpg

DSCF4270.jpg

DSCF4271.jpg

The Monogram kit has very basic wheel-well detail, so I have scratch built a lot of the interior bulkheads etc. Wiring and pipe-work is still to be added.

Front wheel bay:

DSCF4264.jpg

Rear wheel bay:

DSCF4267.jpg

I also did the bomb-bay; racks and weapon load will be added after painting:

DSCF4268.jpg

Interior detail completed:

DSCF4289.jpg

The interior of the AMT nose was taken out and re-done, then grafted onto the Monogram fuselage. The fit was reasonable with only minor variations in the contours:

DSCF4286.jpg

Next the tail was added. This was far trickier than I first thought. The Monogram B-52D has a wider rear fuselage than the AMT kit as the 'D has space for a rear gunner. Therefore I had to chop the tail section off just aft of the rear gear-bay and narrow it before attaching it back onto the fuselage. This then enabled the narrower 'H reat turret to be added. The vertical fin will be the 'D version shortened and added at a later date.

DSCF4287.jpg

Everything is now filled with car-body filler and ready for sanding:

DSCF4290.jpg

DSCF4291.jpg

DSCF4292.jpg

The next job is sanding; then the fuselage will be re-scribed. The 'lumps and bumps' such as ECM pods etc will be added later on in the build.

I'll post more pictures as I progress.

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 3

A good solution for creating a late model from the Monogram kit without laying out lots of cash on resin :thumbsup: Having had my head in some B-52 gear bays, they're a bit of a mess, covered in wires & things, so good luck with the wiring ;)

A good solution for creating a late model from the Monogram kit without laying out lots of cash on resin :thumbsup: Having had my head in some B-52 gear bays, they're a bit of a mess, covered in wires & things, so good luck with the wiring ;)

Yes I've got a fair few pics - I must admit I'm not looking forward to the wiring part!

Have been busy sanding today and have blended everything in. I've also re-scribed the entire fuselage:

DSCF4295.jpg

Also I've modified the 'D version tail by removing the top of the fin. I then re-scribed it and attached it to the fuselage. Later I will add the ECM bumps on the side of the fin. The join is yet to be sanded.

DSCF4293.jpg

When done I can prime the fuselage and begin work on the wings.

• Like 1

Watching this with real interest. The old Monogram kit was one of the first of my "proper" builds back when I was a teenager :) Looking good so far!

A little more progress on the fuselage today.

The tail has been completed, and the strengthening strips added to the lower rear fuselage:

DSCF4300.jpg

DSCF4296.jpg

Next I masked the canopy and primed the fuselage. I've used white as I feel it shows up any blemishes better. I'm pleased with the result so far - only a few minor blemishes to be filled when the filler is next out.

DSCF4302.jpg

DSCF4303.jpg

DSCF4301.jpg

Now work will start on the wings...

• Like 1

Great job on the BUFF!

I built the Monogram kit once in the late 80's,and the AMT B-52G when first released....and found both to be frustrating builds...shame as i really have a soft spot for the jet.

I'll be following this one with interest

A little more progress...

The wings have been re-scribed and extra detail added to the flap apertures. I used various thickness Evergreen strip.

DSCF4305-1.jpg

These are the finished wings in primer:

DSCF4306.jpg

The next job will be grafting the AMT engines onto the Monogram engine pylons.

• Like 2

Some cracking work there Tom - what filler are you using? Seems to sand & prime well :) Will you leave the wings loose for storage?

Some cracking work there Tom - what filler are you using? Seems to sand & prime well :) Will you leave the wings loose for storage?

Thanks Mike - I'm really enjoying this build.

I'm using P38 Car Body filler. For big join seams like I've got it gives a really smooth finish. The bonus is it adds extra strength too. For smaller areas I'm using Revell Plasto.

As for the wings... well the fuselage to wing join isn't great so I'm going to attach them properly. As for where to store it though... who knows!

WOW this puts paid to all the internet scuttlebutt about the fuselage cross section of the AMT B52 been the wrong shape compared to the MONOGRAM kit !

(ive lost track of how many times ive read that the AMT is to "boxy" )

youve mated the two perfectly ! well done !

This afternoon I have been doing a bit to the engines. I've mounted the AMT Pratt & Whitney TF33-P-3 engine pods to the Monogram pylons.

I was amazed at how well these newer engines fitted to the Monogram parts - only very minimal trimming was needed:

DSCF4307.jpg

Here are all four pylons completed and filled. When sanded I'll mount them onto the wings:

DSCF4308.jpg

I'll add more pictures as I progress.

• Like 1

This afternoon I have been doing a bit to the engines. I've mounted the AMT Pratt & Whitney TF33-P-3 engine pods to the Monogram pylons.

I'll add more pictures as I progress.

Spectacular work on your BUFF. Your attention to detail is superb. I don't mean to be critical, but since you are putting so much effort into this model, I thought that you would be interested in this engine information. The TF-33 engine pods in the AMt kit are very much undersize and poorly shaped. BUFF Master Designs, available from http://www.greatmodels.com/ are much more accurate and commensurate with the amount of work that you are putting into this model. Engine set: http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/cgi/...m_num=BMDR72014

BUFF Master on the left, kit on the right

DSCN2584.jpg

DSCN2580.jpg

DSCN2579.jpg

Kit version on top, BUFF Master on bottom

DSCN2581.jpg

Edited by yardbird78

Spectacular work on your BUFF. Your attention to detail is superb. I don't mean to be critical, but since you are putting so much effort into this model, I thought that you would be interested in this engine information. The TF-33 engine pods in the AMt kit are very much undersize and poorly shaped. BUFF Master Designs, available from http://www.greatmodels.com/ are much more accurate and commensurate with the amount of work that you are putting into this model. Engine set: http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/cgi/...m_num=BMDR72014

BUFF Master on the left, kit on the right

DSCN2584.jpg

DSCN2580.jpg

DSCN2579.jpg

Kit version on top, BUFF Master on bottom

DSCN2581.jpg

I must admit the engines look STUNNING. Unfortunately I think I'm too far into the engines now to change them. I've used P38 car body filler to blend the AMT engines to the Monogram pylons and am terrified detaching them now will prove catastrophic for the pylons... I do plan to convert another Monogram 'D to an 'H - specifically NASA's example. I'll also need to get hold of the full resin conversion to do this so will invest in the future. Thanks for the info though - much appreciated.

I must admit the engines look STUNNING. Unfortunately I think I'm too far into the engines now to change them. I've used P38 car body filler to blend the AMT engines to the Monogram pylons and am terrified detaching them now will prove catastrophic for the pylons... I do plan to convert another Monogram 'D to an 'H - specifically NASA's example. I'll also need to get hold of the full resin conversion to do this so will invest in the future. Thanks for the info though - much appreciated.

Hang about, wasn't NASA's B-52 a B? Sorry for the hi-jack, just curious-but fantastic work on quite a daunting project! I am no-where near brave enough to to tackle a project of this size!

Hang about, wasn't NASA's B-52 a B? Sorry for the hi-jack, just curious-....

NASA originally had NB-52A "Balls 3" and NB-52B "Balls 8" that they used for many years for launching the North American X-15 series as well as several other air vehicles. Both of these aircraft were retired several years ago and replaced with a B-52H that was painted in standard NASA colors of all white with the two tone blue stripe down the side. If you Google Image search for "B-52H NASA" you will quite a group of nice photos all three NASA BUFFs.

Darwin

B-52H059.jpg

Edited by yardbird78
  • Like 1