Airfix WWI MKI Male

I had to build such a trench diorama for Year 9 school history way back in 2003, and mine was the only one with a tank! The dio's long gone, but I've still got the tank kicking around :)

I was trumped by the bright spark who bought in a trench made entirely of chocolate fudge cake. Perhaps missing the serious point, but delicious all the same!

Did you find the tracks almost impossible to bond together and slightly too short? I remember having to resort to stapling mine together!

Edited by Vulcanicity

Thanks

I had to build such a trench diorama for Year 9 school history way back in 2003, and mine was the only one with a tank! The dio's long gone, but I've still got the tank kicking around :)

I was trumped by the bright spark who bought in a trench made entirely of chocolate fudge cake. Perhaps missing the serious point, but delicious all the same!

Did you find the tracks almost impossible to bond together and slightly too short? I remember having to resort to stapling mine together!

It got a "solomon" cammo scheme put on today...I kept looking at it after I´d posted the pics and though it looked like a museum piece...which I did intend because it was going on a plinth but if it´s going through a muddy field dio then it needs cammo.

The tracks were a pain. With the Female version I found a trick.

Test fit..if they are too short, ie they will need to have tension applied when fitting, dump them in boiling water and carefully stretch. It´s only a couple of millimeters so it doesn´t take much to get them long enough.

Paint the tracks up with dark brown acrylic...just slap it on thickly. As it has gone a bit tacky, not 100% dry, smear a line of secondglue along the whole top length of the runners on the tank body.

Lay the track on the top with an equal length of track to left and right (best ot do both sides at once) and quickly put it on a flat surface and lay a book on top.

Wait util it´s dry, turn the tank upsidedown, put the track (with the tab that will end up flat against the runner) along the runner, mark where it ends, cover that section with glue (again both sides at the same time) and stick the track half down...book on top again.

When that´s dried the other half.

Any bits of track that are not stuck ...this will be mainly the ends of the runners, peel the track back a bit, squeeze some glue in and press shut.