FAA Golden age photo's.

Troffa

Cor! great pics. Those were the days. Interesting bit in the second pic is the fully castored nosewheel on the Bucc, now who's going to tell you you've got the nosewheel the wrong way round? :D

• Like 1

Thanks to your and your friend, not to mention his Dad, for sharing these fantastic photo`s of an equally fantastic era. Seeing the RAN Gannet was a bit of an eye opener, especially as it was a trainer version, I wonder if it was just visiting or whether it was temporarily filling in...in the COD role as I didn`t notice the Gannet COD.4 on deck, so maybe it was u/s?

Cheers

Tony O

Glad to see that these pics have gone down well- my colleague knows I am a bit of a geek when it comes to this stuff so brought them in to show me- I thought that a few more people ought to see them and he kindly agreed- I often think of the wealth of reference material that must be lying in shoeboxes in dusty attics long after the original owner has gone and always encourage anyone with such collections to publish them as widely as possible.

I will show my mate this thread and pass on your thanks!

Here's a couple more:

DaveCribleysdadspics009.jpg

DaveCribleysdadspics003.jpg

DaveCribleysdadspics018.jpg

DaveCribleysdadspics022.jpg

DaveCribleysdadspics023.jpg

• Like 8

Thank you for sharing these images, a truly unique personal record of time aboard ship. Some absolutely stand out images there, including Americans on board a British carrier. How long will it be before that is repeated?!

absolutely amazing photos, and what a sight to see an F-8 landing on what must have seemed, to the pilot, a very small flighdeck! I see there is another carrier in photo 7, wonder which one that was? and all those merchant vessels including the Oriana, truly fascinating stuff, hope we get to see more! :speak_cool:

It's easy to see why many refer to the 50's, 60's & 70's as "The Golden Age" of military aviation (and other things). Compared to these aircraft, everything seems so dull to me nowadays, as I don't like grey as a colour on aircraft.

Thanks for sharing these pictures with us.

I totally agree that there is a wealth of imagery in private collection, which, when the owner dies is just thrown away. My dad took millions of pictures of V bombers, particularly Vulcans. My mum gave them to my idiot sister for some reason and now they are gone!

Also I work in historic gardens and sometimes the public bring in images which really fill gaps is the knowledge of the history of the gardens, likewise these pictures.

At the very least all these images should be placed with the Local Studies Library, every town has one. Then they will be archived and accessible for future generations

:angrysoapbox.sml:

I realise I'm ranting but I know from first hand experience what can be lost when someone dies. or just 'De-clutters' sic :doh:

I must open that box of old slides and look at them closely......

But again thanks for sharing, I really want to see more of those hovercraft.

Adam

Edited by Madam I'm Adam

Amazing photographs! A really interesting insight into a bygone era. Great stuff.

I can confirm that the first and third shots are taken in Fremantle (have driven ships in there too so know it pretty damn well!), and the shot with the submarine over the stbd bow is Fleet Base East #2 berth at Garden Island, Sydney, of which I also have a working knowledge of.

Thanks for the pics, great history in every one of them.

• Like 1