Tamiya TS range of paints

JakeEaton

I've just recieved my lovely Yamaha YZR-M1 through the post and it keeps mentioning TS paints.

Now on the online shops, these spray paints are nearly a fiver! And they want me to get 4 pots!

Is there any actual benefit from getting TS-49 (or there abouts) which is bright red, when I could just get X- (insert number here) Red and save £3.

Hmmm...

So couldn't I polish acrylic paints? Or put a gloss coat over them and then polish that or does it not have the same effect as these TS spray cans.

I actually used their TS range for the main colours on my A10. They go on smoothly and dry super quickly, it's just that they're so damn expensive!

This is a new field of modelling I'm looking into (highly finished and polished paint work) so would really appreciate an idiots guide to polishing (materials, paints, finishes etc)

Cheers for the help and links Pingu, much appreciated.

I'd like to polish it and apply lots of thin coats.

I've done a bit of researching but I'd like a bit more clarification on 'cutting down' of the surface of coated surface. I <i>think</i> this refers to a polishing compound that smooths the top layer of paint once it's fully cured...is this correct? You then go to work with a polishing wax....

One more question...this sounds very easy for a main base colour that is only one colour but I have to use 2 (Red and silver)

Do I finish one totally minus the polishing with compound and wax, mask and then apply the second (repeating the same process I did in the first colour) and then finish them both off by rubbing with compound and then polishing wax?

• 4 weeks later...

I have used Tamiya spray cans on a few automotive projects, and I find them forgiving with respect to getting a good, smooth gloss finish - far better than Halfords spray cans in my experience. The last time I used Halfords colours, I got a horrible orange peel finish that was hard to polish out with Micromesh due to the corners and ribs on the surface of the subject. Here's the body of a Tameo Ferrari that was sprayed with several coats of Tamiya Red (TS-8 I think) - this is before polishing with Micromesh and The Final Detail model car wax.

126_C2_00601-800.JPG

Yes, the cans are expensive, but you should end up with some leftover paint for your next project. Also, when you consider the price of the kit and your efforts in bringing it up to a good standard, then isn't your model worth it?

Jens

I tend to agree with Jens here. I've been using a TS Metallic Blue spray on a Hornby Subaru Impreza in 1/32nd scale, and the finish is indeed excellent. I've just bought the Orange spray for my Airfix Lifeboat.

It isn't a paint I use a lot of, but for a "special" job I'd have no hesitation recommending it.

John