Sword XII & a few of Airfix I's

Of course, 22 not 21, now I see it. I noticed the tail transplant, and from the angle you photographed, I saw it as having the high back fuselage. It just goes to prove that the human eye sees what it expects to see.

Little progress on XII:

Tail planes on...

P1000523.jpg

P1000522.jpg

Nose glued... A little nasty job...

P1000525.jpg

And how does look the cross kitted Mk.22 proto... Wing just dry stuck to fusselage.

P1000527.jpg

P1000526.jpg

Edited by Severus

Looking good so far, I built a model of PK312 myself in 48th by grafting an aeroclub 21 tail onto the airfix kit:

CIMG4008.jpg

I am watching this one closely, keep up the good work!

Very inspirative pic! Have any more? Paints used?

Thanks for kind words, but primarilly I have to finish both of my XII's (clipped and EN221), then to build that damn seafire... I must admit, that I'm thinking about cross kitting the front part of XIX, that's unused after surgery, with IX.c... I find the Sword's XII enjoyable, but somehow... Tiring.

Edited by Severus

The paints used were xtracrylix (which I have learned the hard way should be applied over a coat of primer!) I have one other pic:

CIMG4015.jpg

It was something of an opportunistic build, I was ripped off by an unscrupulous seller on eBay who sold me the aeroclub 21 with a mangled fuselage. I replaced that with one from hannants to build my 21 and grafted the damaged tail onto my 22. Must admit I do prefer the XIV style tail to the later spiteful tail.

With regards to the seafire, a XIX nose would not be correct for a seafire XV as this and the XVII had the earlier/shorter single stage griffon nose like the spitfire XII. You could maybe use the xtrakit spit XII if you can get hold of a cheap one?

The paints used were xtracrylix (which I have learned the hard way should be applied over a coat of primer!) I have one other pic:

CIMG4015.jpg

It was something of an opportunistic build, I was ripped off by an unscrupulous seller on eBay who sold me the aeroclub 21 with a mangled fuselage. I replaced that with one from hannants to build my 21 and grafted the damaged tail onto my 22. Must admit I do prefer the XIV style tail to the later spiteful tail.

With regards to the seafire, a XIX nose would not be correct for a seafire XV as this and the XVII had the earlier/shorter single stage griffon nose like the spitfire XII. You could maybe use the xtrakit spit XII if you can get hold of a cheap one?

Really, looks superb... BTW... Isn't xtracrylics just Czech Agama range, specially packaged and branded for Hannants? If so, then it's obvious, why it didn't work without primer...

Back to kitbashing...

I'm aware of the fact, that XIX is double stage Griffon. My refferal to Sword XII reflects, in spite the box is Xtrakit's, the mold is made by Sword. My idea is, that as I grafted tail of XIX to AZ's 22, I have incomplete Griffon fusselage. Therefore, cutting nose of IX.c, and adding the shortened (according to XV or XVII) nose of XIX would give me usable base of XV.

Another idea occurs - cutting the nose off IX and adding the nose of XIX would give me the XIV prototype with thin rudder... ;)

Edited by Severus

Some excellent and inspiring work in there. I particularly like the emerging PK312 - there are photos of other early F22s with the small tail but 312 seems to be the most commonly photographed. I've a part built one using the Aeroteam 21 wing with an Aeroclub vacform FRXVIII fuselage, although with the availability of the new AZ F18 and the fact it fits their F22 wing perfectly, means I can do it better.

This week was rather suck-sessfull instead of success. On Monday I put my hand between fighting tomcats, when trying to rectify somehow the XII, whole thing dropped to floor, and kicked off thw wingtips... :(

Edited by Severus

• 4 weeks later...

Just to mess up some really cheap piece of plastic... I didn't bother myself with in-progress-pics, as this thema is dedicated 2 griffon spits/seafires:

Humbrol 34 and 230, decals from spares....

P1000552.jpg

P1000553.jpg

P1000554.jpg

Interesting colour scheme! I guess it's a PR. type D? The scheme looks like those on African PR aircraft, but not one I've seen anywhere before. I'd love to know more because it's a very attractive machine!

cheers,

Will

Well. I dyslike - generally - building without photo evidence. I found this one in Aviation Workshop's On Target Profile vol. 8, page 16. Source is reported as private photos, though I have certain doubts.

• 2 weeks later...

Changed mind about building another sword's spits apart from the one - std. winged - XII. This one I'l try to finish in time, and instead of seafires XV and XVII I will build PR.I.G/VII and speedy spit. As a basis will be used new tool airfix I/IIa.

Pics from nightly build... What's done so far:

Mk.I type G

P1000607.jpg

P1000608.jpg

Speed Spit:

P1000609.jpg

Speedy needs to get sanded the plating around the wing-fuselage joint, as there was overlap, very visible, that's missing on new tool Mk.I.

Edited by Severus

I will look forward to seeing the Speed Spit. I will be interested to see how you achieve the propeller and windscreen parts!

regards,

Will

I will achieve it in very twisted way. I wrote somewhere else, that it will be speedy not so speedy... ;)

Nightly build...

Laziness overhelmed me. Therefore cut off kit's windshield, and glued it into place. Not an ideal fit, but I expect a thin strip of styrene resolve this issue.

Peeking into cockpit you'd find decal instead of etch. Went out of supplies. Nevertheless, in effort to add a little of relief, I cut the center panel off and painted it's sides black and glued it on meanwhile decaled panel. Though, not very visible effect.

P1000620.jpg

And here's my twisted, perverse way to speed spit.

Nothing to write mommy about. The windshield of flat canopy of Mk.II package sanded as much as possible round with armored glass removal. I know, that speedy in the assignment as speed hack had rounded canopy, on the other hand, the canopy provided in the kit is flatter than later canopies, but definitely not so flat. :) This matter will be resolved later, until I'll recover some unused canopies from PR's previously build

P1000626.jpg

P1000625.jpg

A little late progress on my PR's. Those, who browsed around BM found another PR's from my chaotic desk. ;)

Well. I must admit, as I looked forward to build PR I. type G, I was somehow unsatisfied with result. As I got - thanks to weather - first attempted layer of paint too grainy, I stripped it off and started over. Unfortunately, the windshield looks clumsy, but for the moment I'm too lazy to do something about it.

P1000631.jpg

P1000633.jpg

P1000635.jpg

P1000636.jpg