Tamiya 1/700 O-Class

Ray S

Hello, any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. This is my first attempt at water for a ship setting. I used a Tamiya O-Class destroyer finished as HMS Offa, along with White Ensign photo-etch. I borrowed Phil Reeders advice for the water, namely protecting the ship in clingfilm, gluing it to the base, then sculpting the water, prior to releasing the ship from its protection. That was fine, but I did push the envelope slightly because I built the ship about 2 years ago, along with the etch, but decided to do the water only last week as practice for another project I have just started. I only needed to do 2 repairs to the mast, so I think I got away with that one!

For the base I used some pine from Homebase, coated it with Galeria Heavy Carvable Modelling Paste, shaped it with a 'trowel' (cant think of the proper name for the instrument), then built up the wake and bow wave with some No Sanding Polyfilla. When that was dry (ish), I painted over the surface with a dilute mixture of wood glue and acrylic blue paint, then while it was still wet, blended in some Paynes Grey and green. A bit later, I added highlights for the wake and bow wave along with other wave crests. I don't think it looks too bad, but I know it needs to improve.

t0j98j.jpg

11w8pjr.jpg

2i0gldx.jpg

2vmfznb.jpg

28805yh.jpg

The sea colour looks brighter than in real life but I think it does need toning down a bit, and some practice on the bow wave and wash too is needed.

Thanks for looking,

Regards, Ray

Nice job on the kit and base .... B)

to my eye the "sea" does look a bit bright, maybe tone down with a wash of darker green/blue...which would make the wake show up a bit more....maybe also paint the edges of the base a dark colour ...they distract your eye from the model at the moment ..

Regards Trevor ... :D

Hi Ray

Lovely model, particularly all that PE :)

I'm afraid I know absolutely nothing about sea bases, but as a layman I'm wondering whether you would actually have such a variety of colour in one place? Maybe better to do the sea all the same colour (with just some lightening/white for the wake)?

Cheers

Cliff

• 4 years later...

It is basically a fairly simple kit, needing a bit of work. As a Skywave kit it came two to the box: Tamiya only provide one but do provide the alternative main armament. For Offa you would need to do a few alterations, depending upon which time you wanted to model, and the colour scheme changed with time too. Sorry, I don't recall the history of this ship but I must have looked it up because it's on my list "to do". The forecastle break needs to be taken a little bit forward for most of the O class, and you'd need to check the armament. The model shows the later lattice mast rather than the pole provided in the kit. White Ensign used to provide suitable alternative parts and etches, though the etches can be a bit frightening for the novice to ship building. I presume that they will all be available again at some time in the not-to-distant future.

It'll be interesting to see what happens, if anything. Perhaps they have re-appeared - can you give us a link?

There are two key references: Ensign 6: War built Destroyers O-Z Classes, which is probably unobtainable except at highly inflated prices; or the more recent Shipcraft 21: British Destroyers J-C and Battle Classes. The first thing to decide is whether you are modelling Offa as she was 1942/43 or 1943/44? The former has the pole mast, the latter the lattice. The former is the scheme as provided on the box (give or take a bit) using White, B30, B45, G20 and G10 (the last on the decks) whereas the latter is an Admiralty Dark Intermediate scheme - as modelled above but not in those colours - using G45, B40, B15 and G10 (the last also on the decks).

If you don't understand the schemes or colours, I strongly recommend the Shipcraft.

Firstly, the link - https://www.whiteensignmodels.comthis is what came up when I googled White Ensign models. Having found their site, I then drilled down until I found the correct PE for the British O class destroyer. The transaction seems to have been successful and I am now awaiting delivery...... I hope!

I will model Offa as she was in 1942/43 as that is when dad was aboard her. I think she was G29 in those days but not sure. Also not sure if she was just battleship Grey or cammo. Dad passed away in 2013 so I can't ask him. I think I'll try the shipcraft route, many thanks.

Yes, that's the new one, thanks for the link I've now saved it. Yes, she was camouflaged, in the War Emergency Destroyer scheme - I'm not sure that's what it was called but the early ones carried it. This is the scheme that comes in the original Skywave boxing: I don't know what the Tamiya kit comes in but think it is the same.

The book will give you lots of ideas about other destroyers. There is one picture of Offa but 1945.

Edited by Graham Boak

I've found Some pictures, one where she appears to be plain Grey with G29 in White. Another where she has a dark wriggly line rising from bow end, then dropping down back toward the stern, and The other is when she was sold to Pakistan as " Tariq". I think when dad was aboard she had the dark wriggly line but I'm not sure.

OK, I've found a review which shows the box top, and it is good for 42/43. The review does say you'll get two in the box.

The scheme you describe is basically the one shown in the opening posting, and correct for late 1943 (December?) with the lattice mast. The plain grey is, I suspect, postwar, and was preceded by a similar scheme but with a large blue panel on the centre hull. This was a standardised scheme for 1945.

It's in the Shipcraft book. The photo of Offa in the 1942/43 scheme is in the Ensign, unfortunately, and a bit dark. What it does show is that the rear hull colour is darker than the patches on the front hull - you'll find out what I mean - whereas some of the profiles I've seen suggest the opposite. The Shipcraft book has a fine picture of Volage in the same scheme as Offa.

White Ensign models service is excellent. I ordered the PE for O class destroyer from USA on 16th and they dropped, perfectly packaged, through my letter box this morning I ordered the kit from England on the same day and it hasn't arrived yet!

Firstly, the link - https://www.whiteensignmodels.comthis is what came up when I googled White Ensign models. Having found their site, I then drilled down until I found the correct PE for the British O class destroyer. The transaction seems to have been successful and I am now awaiting delivery...... I hope!

I will model Offa as she was in 1942/43 as that is when dad was aboard her. I think she was G29 in those days but not sure. Also not sure if she was just battleship Grey or cammo. Dad passed away in 2013 so I can't ask him. I think I'll try the shipcraft route, many thanks.

Be aware that there is no such colour as 'Battleship Grey'. The RN had 3 different basic greys - APC507A, B and C, where A is Dark Grey, B is Medium (looks a little Greeny) and C is Light Grey. Then they also introduced a wider variety of Grey's for the various camouflage schemes.

thanks

Mike