MiG-29 AS "Slovak Air Force"

How Convenient! I just got this in the post:

IMAG0148.jpg

I would love to join in if I may. Just gotta get this bloody harrier off the bench and Im in.

Want to get the resin burner cans for this and the eduard photo-etch too if its appropriate for the slovakian version.

• 5 weeks later...

Ok update time!

So managed to get the harrier finished and she's in the ready for inspection section for those interested.

I took reciept of the wolfpack resin cockpit :

Now bear with me as this is the first time Ive attempted a resin set on a kit - Im used to OOTB builds but the kit pit is really lacking on this one.

Here's a mini-review

SSL24563.jpg

Niceley protected, in separate bags

SSL24565.jpg

Nice full-colour instruction sheet, they even tell you websites and books they used as reference!

SSL24569.jpg

The main office - decent detail, however Im not sure what to do about the dials and MFD. might have a stab a creating some decals for these.

SSL24567.jpg

SSL24566.jpg

A Couple of shots of the main tub.

SSL24570.jpg

Ejection seat - probably the best detailed piece of the set

SSL24571.jpg

Some odds n' sods. looks like a replacement pitot tube there.

SSL24568.jpg

Nice little photoetched hud frame.

Set looks nice to me - I didnt know if the eduard colour etched set would be appropriate for the NATO upgraded MiG, even though I would have prefered to slap the colour etch on, seems a lot easier to me!

Next ill be ordering the Aires burner cans and probably to smaller etched fret from eduard. Ill post details when /if I get them.

Im thinking of how to present this one, I like to do 'in flight' but not sure Ill find a pilot to fit in that seat. Suggestions welcome!

If not Ill probably have to get the wheels bays and spend more cash :(

In the meantime, Ive been doing a bit of gluing. The fit on this kit is legendary - even in hell! (points for those who get the reference :smartass: ) Next post Ill detail what Ive been up to - maybe tonight, as im at work so I should really be doing some work lol, but it is friday after all. Greggs is calling me, coffee and an iced ring doughnut :bleh:

Later

Word Up. More progress:

So ive put together a few pieces. Im trying to be methodical - the fit is quite terrible so Im thinking how this will best go together with the least amount of the dreaded putty and sand shmozzle.

So I started by removing the unwanted plastic to make way for the resin unit, then attaching the two upper fuselage halves together.

I started by pinning the very top of the join with superglue and kicker, then adding pastic weld. Once this had dried I moved on and did the same process at the LERX ends of the join. I tried to keep the two pieces as flush as poss while doing this, but its quite hard !

SSL24576.jpg

Not too shabby, I knew I wouldnt be able to get away with it, but there will be a little of the ol' fill/sand/scribe party going on here.

Main thing it that there is a rather obvious change in contour along the top the fuselage, I dont think theres much I can do about that without major putty work. Ill think about it.

SSL24575.jpg

I then moved on to the nose and added the pieces there, which was the hardest part:

SSL24577.jpg

Hmm. Im seeing a lot more detail on these pics than I can with my puny vision. Serious shmozzle here.

Im going to need to go back and clean up that forward canopy rim too.

That black stuff you see is Filla-Glu black. Im in love with the stuff atm , It sands easy and is the best filler for scribing over Ive found so far.

Lastly, started on the intakes, which had some nasty ejector pin marks in them: clean them up as I want the fod covers UP if I go in-flight.

CopyofSSL24574.jpg

Yes Metallicus, in between modelling I pick up the axe and shred, a lot of the time its metallica too :winkgrin:

Back with more soon

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at the same stage with mine, not looking forward to trying to get it to fit nicely together, lots of filler will be needed! That update set is nice, might get on for the next MiG-29 I do. Watching this one with interest.

• 1 month later...

Update!

So disaster struck and I completely lost my mojo for a good month :( Couldnt get into it at all. Im probably not going to make the group build deadline and I was going to enter this into the compo at Scale Model Addict, which I will also miss . Never mind - better late than never i suppose.

So here's where we are ATM:

I got the quickboost nose (which didnt fit at all, but more on that in a sec) and the eduard PE. Ive already put the ventral intake mesh in place and needs some cleanup. (Any tips people have for fitting PE flush with the kit surface would be greatly appreciated!!! )

IMG_20110607_014844.jpg

The resin nose was a good mil or so larger in diameter than the kit nose, so I glued a couple of small nuts together and threaded a screw through them. I glued this to the end of the nose and used this to expand the nose vertically after cutting away some material. then I put in some cocktail stick braces sideways to get some extra width. The fit was much better, but I still needed to sand quite a bit to get it flush.

The plastic on this kit is very soft, and when I was using the screw the side ripped !! I had to patch it up as you can see below. I also cut out and reshaped the gun vent as you can see here, Im going to make a new one later as the real one is raised out slightly from the surface.

IMG_20110607_014900.jpg

Heres what probably lost me the mojo : endless sanding!! Im going to be displaying this model in flight, so I had to raise the gear doors.

I gotta say this was extremely tricky and glad it came out the way it did. I will need to do some rescribing to get the door lines back in in place.

But I can concentrate on details once the fuselage halves are together. The intakes where all sanded down on the insides also as the FOD doors will be raised also. I also eliminated the seam along the rear of the intakes toward the engines. Careful positioning while gluing and then plenty of filler was in order. The nose wheel bay was filled and scribed. Still lots of cleanup to do though!!

IMG_20110607_014921.jpg

Made a start on the cockpit too:

IMG_20110607_015004.jpg

and I got this little chap: gonna try and get him sat inside

IMG_20110607_015259-Copy.jpg

IMG_20110607_015327.jpg

Doesn't look like much progress I know but there's some quite hard work there lol!

In the meantime ive been working over the decals in Photoshop and turning them into masks. Ill post some details on that later.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Cimmerian

I know where you are coming from I have only just picked up my Angolan Flanker again and hoping to finish it by the deadline! But progress is progress!!!!

Looking good!! Good start on the cockpit!!

Good luck with the rest of the build!!

Cheers

Brenden