Falklands War Seaking colours

mollythedog

Someone asked me about one of my own models a while back,and it has been niggling me ever since. I had assumed (always dodgy I know) that the Seakings that were involved in the Falklands War were in EDSG,as were the Wessex (Humphrey being the obvious example). But on checking I can find nothing to say one way or the other.

My first port of call was " Falklands, The Air War" by Burden/Draper/Rough/Smith and Wilton, a pretty comprehensive overveiw,but although some B/W drawings are included,nothing for the Seakings.

I don't know if the HC's differed from the HAS,in black and white they all look the same tone to me.

Anyone know? Sorry in advance for the dumb question,but I tried several searches on here and didn't find the answer.

Cheers

mtd

Someone asked me about one of my own models a while back,and it has been niggling me ever since. I had assumed (always dodgy I know) that the Seakings that were involved in the Falklands War were in EDSG,as were the Wessex (Humphrey being the obvious example). But on checking I can find nothing to say one way or the other.

My first port of call was " Falklands, The Air War" by Burden/Draper/Rough/Smith and Wilton, a pretty comprehensive overveiw,but although some B/W drawings are included,nothing for the Seakings.

I don't know if the HC's differed from the HAS,in black and white they all look the same tone to me.

Anyone know? Sorry in advance for the dumb question,but I tried several searches on here and didn't find the answer.

Cheers

mtd

Depending on the airframe you are trying to model they were painted either RAF Blue Grey, Matt OD or Dark Sea Grey (Over painted from the standard SAR yellow scheme).

Cheers

Most of the HAS Sea Kings were RAF Blue Grey finished and the HC4's (the Commando assault version) were finshed in RN Helicopter Olive Drab. However, as is always the case, you can't beat researching the particular airframe you're building, just to dot the I's and cross the T's!

Blue/grey is an interesting colour - all joking aside sometimes it looks very blue, and sometimes it looks very errrr.... grey.

I think Humph is weathered blue/grey but it doesn't look a million miles away from XDSG in this shot.

humph.jpg

Edited by Pat C

For those about to snigger,we salute you.

Thanks for the answers. It is immediately apparent to all that -

a) I am not really an aircraft modeller :analintruder:

B) my colour interpretation might not be as acute as others

c) one of my points of "reference" was my "Humphrey" as modelled by Corgi as a diecast 1/72. Yes,looking again at it,the dark grey has a distinctly blue hue,especially when compared to a Seaking in Dark Grey as made by the same firm. I know,heresy for some to even consider these things as points of reference, but please bear in mind a and b above!

d) if Humphrey et al were blue,why do they appear darker in photos of the period when compared to Seakings? Is it my eyes?

Again, I thank you for answering, I think it strange that although very recent,colour photography is found less often than B/W. But then again,most involved had other things to keep them busy.

Cheers :D

mtd

PS thanks for the photo.Wonderful looking things those Wessex.

Hi MTD,

The Wessex V's, Commando versions and not A/S, were always the typical dark green and the Sea Kings, except the HC.4, were RAF Blue/Grey.

We had a few of the Sea Kings arriving onboard Canberra whilst in transit to the TEU and there were a couple of occasions where I thought they were dark grey but it was just a trick of the light.

I have posted a few images below; the first two are mine of aircraft visiting Canberra and the others are ones that I have found on the web (the last one being of an early Sea King onboard HMS Ark Royal [iV] in the 1970's) As you can see, the Sea Kings look either very grey or even green! such as those on the QE2. It just seems to be the light conditions.

HTH

Mike

Two Seakings on Canberra whilst at Ascension Island en-route to the Falklands

2helovisitorsatAscencionIsland-1.jpg

Wessex V on Canberra en-route to TEZ

VictorKilolanding.jpg

Sea Kings on QE2 web images

QE2fwdflightdeck.jpg

QE2en-routeFalklands1.jpg

1970's image of Sea King on HMS Ark Royal - notice lack of filters on intakes web image

SeaKingandF4deckpark_ArkRoyal.jpg

Yes,looking again at it,the dark grey has a distinctly blue hue

Well for me RAF blue grey is blue with a grey hue to it!! No wonder colour debates are always so fraught!!

I recall reading that some Sea Kings had a laquer finish applied that made the blue-gray have a more "blue" appearance (in some pics they appear closer to the Lynx Oxford Blue). That could account for why Wessex and Sea King might have different appearances despite being nominally painted in thh same colour.

Pat

Yup agreed Pat

Colour is a tricky business and no one is sniggering MTD!

There is a blue hue to EDSG imho

Greys can be very tricksy because of their constituent combination of hues.

There are so many variables that can shift the appearance.

You need a spectrum analysis and verification from Colonel White! or Nick if he watching! ;)

Great pics Mike! thanks for showing

Edited by walrus

The Sea KIng HAS2As had a coating applied that gave them a slightly greenish look in some photos

Thanks Dave,

that could account for the impressions I got of them. Obviously we were busy on other matters but I would have liked to have chosen one airframe and then photograph it throughout the campaign - on sailing (overcast); off Ascension (very bright & hot) and in the TEZ (wet & snowy) - just to see the changes in appearance to the colour.

Mike

Thanks again to all for the replies and advice. In my defence, I did refer to several books I have on the Seaking-the most useful being "Modern Combat Aircraft No.18" Westland Seaking by John Chartres.

On page 49 there is a nice head on-ish view of one The caption reads "A Seaking HAS5 of No 810 NAS (in Falklands War colours) operating off RFA Engadine in 1983". It must be the angle,as it looks EDSG rather than RAF blue to me,but perhaps I am confusing the RAF uniform colour,much as my old Air Cadet uniform,rather than the aircraft paint! Age....

Several pages on ,still in colour,but not dated,they appear slightly more blue (but still "grey" to me!!) .Each to his own. As I work in quite small scales the colours have to be lightened somewhat,making the difference between a darkish grey and a darkish blue grey a moot point.

I accept the point that,earlier,when operating off of Ark Royal (IV) there is no question the colour was blue,but as she went in 78 she was off my radar.

Hopefully Warpaint will bring out a book on them for dunces like me.

mtd

This is why the US military uses FS595. No names, no interpretation. Just a five digit number, so there's no chance of messing it up unless you're dyslexic.

:)

And that is why The British forces use BS 381c hue 633 (6 =Grey, 33 colour number) and a Official Name RAF Blue Grey, No interpretation needed.

I think everyone accepts all colours to FS or BS or RAL or whatever look different depending on wear, light fading and light conditions when a picture is taken.

So what exactly is your point?

Selwyn?

Down, boy, down.......

I can see that those that take this far more seriously might be offended,but for those that see aircraft more as appendages I'll just repeat,thanks for the steer in the right direction.

The toned down "RAF Blue Grey" (actually Humbrol 145) is on the rear left and middle. The others are my interpretation of the modern RN grey (Vallejo Air,but I forget which one) and RN Dark Blue.

Like I said,in a different scale, I am in my own Universe.

seakings.jpg

I will build my 1/72nd Merlin one day, I promise.....

HM1a.jpg

mtd

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
On 11/10/2017 at 6:42 PM, Dervish said:

Sea King HC4s we painted in the same shade of green throughout their lives.

Sorry, disagree based on personal observations, i've seen HC4s in at least 3 differing greens, not counting those that faded. The early birds including those we had down South appeared in a Darkish Olive type green, and remained in it past 1988 ( although those deployed to Lebanon in 88 faded badly). The Dark scheme was high lighted by the white applied  for IFOR and exercises in Norway. The current or should I say last scheme came later as aircraft were out shopped post upgrade/modification. Light will always play tricks, and paint from differing manufacturers plays a part.