World War 1 colours, rigging and other random questions...

487 Squadron

More questions; this time for Fokker DR1 Red Baron 425/17 experts. So, after wading through some long discussions on other boards I gather that;

Fokker DR1 425/17 (The Red Baron's famous red kite) was very likely delivered from the factory with a custom control stick, light blue undersides, deep plumy red top surfaces, fully stencilled, but with out of date 'crosses' - and the jury is out whether it had a red or white tail at that point. At some point the white cross fields were overpainted red and the crosses were updated to the new Balkenkreuz standard and the undersides of the plane painted the same red. The crosses were updated a second time before he was shot down and killed, and although its not stated specifically I gather no stencilling was present at that time (overpainted?). By this time the tail was white.

To add to the confusion, the ex-Eduard Revell 1/48 kit has factory serial code stencils that are smaller than those in the (same) Eduard 1/48 DR1 kit, although if they were indeed factory serials you'd expect them all to be the same size, right?

So here is my question: Does anyone know of a definitive scheme for 425/17 at any stage in its history? I'm not too worried if it is early or late, I just want it to be 'right'. Can anyone point me at any images?

Cheers in advance :)

So here is my question: Does anyone know of a definitive scheme for 425/17 at any stage in its history? I'm not too worried if it is early or late, I just want it to be 'right'. Can anyone point me at any images?

I've found this picture, I don't know if it's any help to you.

dr1.jpg

Cheers

Pete

Sorry my mistake, this is a picture of 525/17, NOT 425/17

Edited by T-Tango

More questions; this time for Fokker DR1 Red Baron 425/17 experts. So, after wading through some long discussions on other boards I gather that;

Fokker DR1 425/17 (The Red Baron's famous red kite) was very likely delivered from the factory with a custom control stick, light blue undersides, deep plumy red top surfaces, fully stencilled, but with out of date 'crosses' - and the jury is out whether it had a red or white tail at that point. At some point the white cross fields were overpainted red and the crosses were updated to the new Balkenkreuz standard and the undersides of the plane painted the same red. The crosses were updated a second time before he was shot down and killed, and although its not stated specifically I gather no stencilling was present at that time (overpainted?). By this time the tail was white.

To add to the confusion, the ex-Eduard Revell 1/48 kit has factory serial code stencils that are smaller than those in the (same) Eduard 1/48 DR1 kit, although if they were indeed factory serials you'd expect them all to be the same size, right?

Hi,

If you care to plough through this lot (38 pages) you may find the answers to some of your questions.

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/camoufla...1-425-17-a.html

Cheers,

Tony.

More questions:

Zee Chermans and their lozenge pattern; and more particularly the 'stripes' that the instructions call to be applied over the spars - what do they represent? Reinforcing? If so, were they separate little strips of material applied over the larger sheet of printed lozenge material, or were they somehow formed by folding the large sheet back on itself? The reason I ask is that I got all distracted and started building a lozenge patterned Pfalz DIIIa but after trawling the internet gather that the stripes should be 'lozenge' as well, not solid colours as supplied in the kit. As always, any pointers greatfully appreciated.

• 1 month later...

So now I'm fiddling about with an Eduard 48th Roland CII. I have the older 'Profipack' edition with the green and brown aeroplane on the box. The instructions say to apply the 'curtains' if you are building version B, however the painting diagrammes show curtains on version A (yellow 4). New boxings also show yellow 4 having curtains, and I wonder if the original boxing of the kit had yellow 4 as version B, rather than version A as in my (older) boxing. Are there any German World War 1 habberdashery experts out there?

Incidentally, I found this hilarious pick of a fully 'home decorated' CII on the net:

scannen0007ft1.jpg

Incidentally, I found this hilarious pick of a fully 'home decorated' CII on the net:

scannen0007ft1.jpg

Is that home decoration or a photo showing a secret weapon?? ....the planned instant "shrubbery" bombs!!!!