Does anyone produce an Agusta 109?

bootneck

I was checking through my collection of photos from the Falkland War, looking for a little inspiration for a new build, and came across the image below.

The photo is of two Agusta 109A helicopters which were captured during the campaign and brought back to the UK onboard HMS Fearless.

I was given the photo by my mate who was originally on Sir Galahad until it was severely damaged so he returned to the UK on HMS Fearless when the fighting was over.

I understand that the markings, for 846 Naval Air Squadron and coded V C and V V, were only temporary as these aircraft were handed over to the SAS for their use.

It would be nice to build a kit of one of these, either with the 846 NAS markings or in SAS colours (black?) but I don't think they carried any markings then.

Does anyone know if a kit has been produced, to what scale, whether still available and where?

Thanks

Mike

ArgyBell109sgoingbacktoUK.jpg

Edited by bootneck

Thanks Troffa.

I found another photo of these 109's. This shot is of them on the ground, in the early days of the war, with a Huey just taking off from an Argentine forward operating base.

Mike

2rh0ahw.jpg

Those are Augusta A109's not Bell's - the version in Troffa's link is a different variant (although it is a very nice kit), he's also correct in saying the Aviation Workshop have promised the right version but your guess is as good as mine as to when it'll be out.

Wez

Even better! I could build one and paint it up in my old squadron markings - 3 Commando Brigade Air Squadron Royal Marines.

Thanks for these images

Mike

The two Argentine ships were ZE409 and 10. The two new builds were 11 and 12.

Suddenly I feel old. Somewhere I have slides of a Gazelle with a dayglo rod going through the cockpit glazing to show the trajectory of Argentine small arms fire. Chuffing heck that was half a lifetime ago........

MH

Airframe (aka Aviation Workshop) are doing an Augusta A109. According to their webiste it will be available in December.

HTH

John

The two Argentine ships were ZE409 and 10. The two new builds were 11 and 12.

MH

Almost right! According to the very reliable UK serials website there was no ZE409 and the four A.109As were:

ZE410 Ex-Argentine Army AE-334

ZE411 Ex-Argentine Army AE-331

ZE412 No previous ID quoted so a new-build?

ZE413 No previous ID quoted so a new-build?

Almost right! According to the very reliable UK serials website there was no ZE409 and the four A.109As were:

ZE412 No previous ID quoted so a new-build?

ZE413 No previous ID quoted so a new-build?

Yes, they originally were repainted in what was then the standard Mann helicopters scheme for A109s (White and yellow with black trim http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1174256/) so they appeared similar to civilian helicopters. Over the years they appeared in a variety of colour schemes (I think I counted 10 in total), latterly being:

ZE410 - white with dark blue fuselage bottom

ZE411 - Dark blue/light blue with medium blue stripe

ZE412 - white with red and blue stripe

ZE413 - Very dark blue with white top and bottom of fuselage

The serial was carried on the forward doors in a form of raised clear tape, so it was very hard to see!

They were fitted with abseiling/fast roping frames, and later in service has missile approach warning equipment fitted.

Edited by Dave Fleming

I'd describe ZE410 current colour scheme as white and dark grey with the Serial in black on the dark grey positioned under the forward doors, and its only visible when the light is just right, there are no other markings on the airframe.

She is no longer flying and for some reason the Director of Special Forces dosen't want anyone to know where she is, but I do and as I want to keep the doors and windows on my house, I'm not telling.

• Like 1

I'd describe ZE410 current colour scheme as white and dark grey with the Serial in black on the dark grey positioned under the forward doors, and its only visible when the light is just right, there are no other markings on the airframe.

She is no longer flying and for some reason the Director of Special Forces dosen't want anyone to know where she is, but I do and as I want to keep the doors and windows on my house, I'm not telling.

Army Air Corps Museum in Middle Wallop and British Rotorcraft Museum in Weston Suoer Mare would be likely candidates I suppose.

MH

According to the ukserials.com website the current disposition of the 4 A.109s is

ZE410 Agusta A.109A Ex Argentine Army AE-334, stored Middle Wallop Museum

ZE411 Agusta A.109A Ex Argentine Army AE-331, to FAAM Store, Yeovilton 09/02/2010

ZZE412 Agusta A.109A To SEAE Arborfield 06/2009 for G.I.

ZE413 Agusta A.109A To Whittington Barracks, Lichfield 2009 for G.I.

Thanks, my interpretation as 'dark blue' was a bit off! The only time I saw her in this scheme, in 2009, it was half light. Someone else got better light and took this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flatfoot471/3...in/photostream/

From memory, ZE410 was the one that was overall white at one point.

They used to appear reasonably regularly at Glasgow, no doubt not unassociated with the TA SAS Regiment.

You can just about make out the serial in this shot:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Army/A...undo/0781360/L/

You can see ZE413 had hers on the door.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Army/A...undo/0609853/L/

You can see the final schemes of all 4 here:

http://www.abpic.co.uk/search.php?q=8%20Flt&u=unit

She is no longer flying and for some reason the Director of Special Forces dosen't want anyone to know where she is, but I do and as I want to keep the doors and windows on my house, I'm not telling

And some might remember things you said in previous posts about places you volunteered!! :-)

Edited by Dave Fleming

I seem to remember Revell issuing an A-109 a few years ago.

They did, but the Revell kit represents a version that is quite different from the one used by Argentina, and from most other users as well. The kit can be converted, but it really is a major conversion.

A small firm named Vetromodelli did a basic first version A-109 in the early '80s. This is most probably impossible to find, and was a very difficult kit to build anyway. I've seen some modellers modifying die cast 1/48 kits with some success too, but until aviation workshop releases theirs, there's no other option.

According to the ukserials.com website the current disposition of the 4 A.109s is

ZE410 Agusta A.109A Ex Argentine Army AE-334, stored Middle Wallop Museum

ZE411 Agusta A.109A Ex Argentine Army AE-331, to FAAM Store, Yeovilton 09/02/2010

ZZE412 Agusta A.109A To SEAE Arborfield 06/2009 for G.I.

ZE413 Agusta A.109A To Whittington Barracks, Lichfield 2009 for G.I.

Same looks to be true of Demobbed too

Thanks everyone for your contributions, very much appreciated.

I contacted another mate, who was on special ops during that period, and he provided the following additional bit of info:

"The Bell 109’s became 699 Flt* or 669 Flt AAC based at Hereford. One was painted Blue and White and the other Yellow and White and I have flown between Poole and Hereford many times in those.

For CT Ops they would be sprayed in a water soluble Black that could be washed off easily"

* I've checked the records and it would appear that these aircraft were commonly referred to as 8 Flt aircraft. I am assuming my mates comment about 699 or 669 Flt could possibly be as a reference to a parent squadron.

Cheers

Mike

• 5 years later...
On 11/3/2011 at 10:25 AM, Giorgio N said:

They did, but the Revell kit represents a version that is quite different from the one used by Argentina, and from most other users as well. The kit can be converted, but it really is a major conversion.

A small firm named Vetromodelli did a basic first version A-109 in the early '80s. This is most probably impossible to find, and was a very difficult kit to build anyway. I've seen some modellers modifying die cast 1/48 kits with some success too, but until aviation workshop releases theirs, there's no other option.

I'm resurrecting this old thread (and quoting myself) because I seem to have managed to find one of these elusive Vetromodelli A109 kits. I'll report on what it's like as soon as the postman delivers the kit to my door.

With the Aviation Workshop kit having never materialised for a number of reasons, I'll have to see if crosskitting the Vetromodelli kit with the Revell K2 may allow to finally build a 1/72 SAS machine

Hi Giorgio,

Maybe you are already aware - ZE413 has been disposed off by the M.O.D. recently via Everett Aero, and is now with AST at Perth. It is still fitted with the medivac doors, but these have now been painted in blue/white/red to match the rest of the airframe.

The nose cone now appears to be a solid white version, rather than having the usual landing lights - most unusual!

Link:-

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=75320

All the best.

• Like 1