1/72 Spitfire XIV kits

Master Zen

Spend extra on Fujimi, if you have the taste ;) or convert AZ.

To be totally honest, I believe that no XIV/XIX kit fuselage is totally accurate. As said before, the aeroclub vacform conversion is probably the only one.

If accuracy is not a big issue, I believe that the fujimi and AZ kits are still better than the airfix XIX kit. If money is an issue, the airfix kit does the job, but needs some work, as some features are really bad in 2010 (like the total lack of wheel wells detail).

Personally I've built or I'm building all, including correcting the bloated academy kit.

Bottom line is, there's still room for a good 1/72 Spitfire XIV kit

To be totally honest, I believe that no XIV/XIX kit fuselage is totally accurate. As said before, the aeroclub vacform conversion is probably the only one.

If accuracy is not a big issue, I believe that the fujimi and AZ kits are still better than the airfix XIX kit. If money is an issue, the airfix kit does the job, but needs some work, as some features are really bad in 2010 (like the total lack of wheel wells detail).

Personally I've built or I'm building all, including correcting the bloated academy kit.

Bottom line is, there's still room for a good 1/72 Spitfire XIV kit

Putting in front of spitfire line Academy's parody, every spit must look just right. I also got that miracle from Korea. It could be improved just one way - by throwing into waste basket.

A jolly gent on here cast me up a couple of big chins for Merlin engined PR's with a mould

taken from a 1/72nd PR.X/XI kit(just can't remember the name of the kit off hand)in resin,

they've done the trick easily,the rudder came from the spares boxes of some of the

superb bods on here when I made the call for spare parts.

I didn't go to town with the 'pit on the "PR" or the "XIV" but I did with the BBMF IXe that I've done.

Mark

It's simple - it's been MPM's shortrun. Have some three pcs. at home. Not bad, but nothing to write home about.

Ventura also did the XI, I've picked up several in recent years for a relative pittance, probably less than a fiver.

As for chucking out the Academy Spit, I generally strip it for spares - the cockpit is very nice, one of the nicest in the scale (so nice I made some moulds from it) and the u/c and prop come in quite handy. Apart from the radiator cock up, is the wing salvageable?

Ventura also did the XI, I've picked up several in recent years for a relative pittance, probably less than a fiver.

As for chucking out the Academy Spit, I generally strip it for spares - the cockpit is very nice, one of the nicest in the scale (so nice I made some moulds from it) and the u/c and prop come in quite handy. Apart from the radiator cock up, is the wing salvageable?

It depends, what do you find under term "nicest", and "salvageable". Concerning cockpit - stretched sprue, clipped coke can and some wires in absent cockpit of old mold AFX Ia or Vb makes better cockpit, than what's in the box of Academy. And talking about the wing - Overly thick, terrible radiators... So, what remains? Perhaps legs, wheels, propeller (?), dashboard... Is it really this few pieces worth of the money for Aca's XIV?

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

Am trying to get a former modeler back into the game. His favorite plane is the Spitfire XIV, which he would like to make in 1:72, with contra prop, clipped wings and invasion stripes. Have been looking here and there and I think there might have been one of those. If not, another XIV will do.

But with all the reviews and comments everywhere, I don't know which actual kit is best for a restarter. So I turn to all of you Spit-Vets.

I see Freightdog and AZ Model are readily available as is Academy's. But that last one doesn't get a lot of praise here. Still all upgrades, masks etc seem to have been planned for that one. Can they be used for one of the others? And nobody seems to be doing a proper engine for it?

Thanks,

BJ (even smaller scaler)

Hi all,

Am trying to get a former modeler back into the game. His favorite plane is the Spitfire XIV, which he would like to make in 1:72, with contra prop, clipped wings and invasion stripes. Have been looking here and there and I think there might have been one of those. If not, another XIV will do.

The only Spitfires that saw service with contra-props were small numbers of the 21. There may have been one or two XIVs used as prototypes for development of the installation. There was recently a French-owned PR.XIX with an ex-Shackleton Griffon installation that used contra-props.

Despite some shape problems the Academy kit fits together nicely, is well moulded, and is quick & easy to build. It is also relatively cheap. For someone with uncertain skills wanting to restart modelling in a way that will enable the skills to be re-learned without too much trauma that would seem the best option.

Thanks. He was/is a detail freak though, so knows what he is getting into again: the more the better. But perhaps adding extra's is preferable to improving inaccuracies.

> For someone with uncertain skills wanting to restart modelling in a way that will enable the skills to be re-learned without too much trauma

With the Mk 21 added, Czech Master's kit is possible.

Edited by Beejay

I don't think clipped wings and D-Day stripes go on a Mk.XIV either, except perhaps the underbelly ones only. But there are other nice schemes for clipped Mk.XIVs, I was looking at a Belgian one in Brussels Museum last week - at least I think it had clipped wingtips but it wasn't top of my "list to look at!" A lot of them did, anyway. Those lovely large Indian mandalas are available on a transfer sheet.... currently intended for my long-suffering Frog kit which has been converted into a bubble-top for them.

BJ, the academy kit is not praised because it is quite inaccurate. Said that, it builds beautifully.

If your friend cares about accuracy, then the academy kit is not ideal. However as others have said if he's into accuracy he also has to forget having invasion stripes, clipped wings and contrarotating props on the same model.

If he doesn't mind the over bloated fuselage of the Academy kit, he can build this with a good number of aftermarket parts. Some of these will also address some of the accuracy issues (like resin radiators and spinner/prop).

As to using detail sets thought for the academy kit on other spitfires, it sure can be done but will require more work to make everything fit. Problems might occur with the instrument panels, as the academy fuselage is wider than others and the panels are usually dimensioned accordingly.

P.S. I like your avatar ! The P.7 was really a great futuristic design !

Thanks. The whole project is a surprise for his birthday, so I can't ask him too much. How about this combination:

AZ Model - Spitfire Mk XIVE, or

AZ Silver - Spitfire Mk.XIVe Ginger Lacey

plus these Academy-upgrades:

Eduard - Cockpit Detailset (brass parts to upgrade cockpit, not bulky resin, so should fit)

Armycast - Engine set (complete with hood)

Armycast - Gunbay set

Master - E wing late (brass barrels)

Airwaves - Small Slipper Tank (for fun)

True Details - Wheel set for wheels-down

Squadron - Canopy set

That leaves these questions:

1) Is there any real difference between the two AZ models besides the decals, like added detailing parts for example?

2) Is that Gunbay set for an e wing?

3) Are any of these superfluous because Az Model's are good enough? (like wheels or canopy)

4) Anything stupid in this combination?

Then perhaps add an extra decal sheet just for the hell of it.

BJ

PS: thanks, yes to me the Piaggio is the most beautiful and innovative plane ever built ... but don't worry, the Spit is in the top 10.

http://www.pacmodelscatalog.com/mm5/mercha...tegory_Code=pcm

We are are pleased to announce our next new PCM kit. It is the Spitfire MK.XIVc (PCM 32015) and will be arriving in late August. It has both the regular wings and the clipped wings along with provisions for all cannon mounts.

Best Regards

Ken & Mary Ellen Lawrence

Pacific Coast Models, Inc.

interested in seeing what this baby is like in 1/32

Edited by hacker

The tail in the AZ Spit XIV is off - too small and there's just something not right about it. The low back one is an XVIII fuselage with an alternate rudder.

TBH, I'd go for the Ginger Lacey boxing as it's the AZ XIV/XVIII tool with a second high back fuselage. You'd need a vacform canopy if you choose the low back option from the box but it's better value for money and you've a spare fuselage left over. Which is always nice. The rocker cover detail is a little vague but that won't matter if you're replacing it anyway.

The wing is definitely an E wing. The wheels in the kit are nice but resin replacements would be crisper. The vacform canopies would be a nice replacement too.

Some answers here:

1) Is there any real difference between the two AZ models besides the decals, like added detailing parts for example? Might be wrong, but seems to me there's one big difference: the standard box is for a low back XIV, Lacey's box is for a high back XIV

2) Is that Gunbay set for an e wing? Looks to me like the gun bay cover is for an e wing, can't see the 0.5" mgs though

3) Are any of these superfluous because Az Model's are good enough? (like wheels or canopy) A vacform canopy is IMHO always better than an injected one ! Now the problem is if this will fit or not...

4) Anything stupid in this combination?

Then perhaps add an extra decal sheet just for the hell of it.

BJ

PS: thanks, yes to me the Piaggio is the most beautiful and innovative plane ever built ... but don't worry, the Spit is in the top 10.

Agreed on the Spit, one of the best looking ever ! And it had a distinguished career too, something that unfortunately can't be said of the beautiful Piaggio

TBH, I'd go for the Ginger Lacey boxing

Thanks. Is the enclosed canopy any good?

Also, it says it has brass etched and resin parts, but I don't know which ones and cannot find any (p)review describing the box's contents.

So does the Lacey kit need aftermarket parts for cockpit, gunbay, engine, or are the extra's in the box sufficient?

BJ

• 2 weeks later...
Considering the 1/72 Academy Mk.XIVc looks 'bloated' due to its wide fuselage, would it not help to sand down the fuselage a little at the join of each fuselage side? narrowing the overall section?

Have a look on a similar thread on the 1/48 kit. In my experience what you suggest can help but must be accompanied by a similar reduction in the depth of the fuselage, meaning cutting each fuselage half in two and reducing the depth. This reduction is not constant over the whole length, but goes from nothing at the tail to maximum at the spinner plate. Such a job of corse means replacing the spinner. The academy XIV fuselage also benefits from a 1 mm spacer somewhere before the tail to restore the correct rear fuselage length.

I did something similar on this model:

And then there are the other problems to fix, like radiators, rocker covers and so on...

I applied all these modifications (and a few more to add a clipped "e" wing) to this model a while ago:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...&hl=academy

Would I do it again ? Not sure really.....

Have a look on a similar thread on the 1/48 kit. In my experience what you suggest can help but must be accompanied by a similar reduction in the depth of the fuselage, meaning cutting each fuselage half in two and reducing the depth. This reduction is not constant over the whole length, but goes from nothing at the tail to maximum at the spinner plate. Such a job of corse means replacing the spinner. The academy XIV fuselage also benefits from a 1 mm spacer somewhere before the tail to restore the correct rear fuselage length.

I did something similar on this model:

And then there are the other problems to fix, like radiators, rocker covers and so on...

I applied all these modifications (and a few more to add a clipped "e" wing) to this model a while ago:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...&hl=academy

Would I do it again ? Not sure really.....

Just looking at your Mk.XIV Giorgio, I really like the scheme! those small wing roundels really mess with the look of the wings! must be a perspective thing?

Not mocking your build in anyway (!!!) but the fuselage does look fat around the cockpit area, and is very noticeable, prehaps with the light greay used, and the fact that the kit has this fault anyway. This is why i was thinking that shaving a little of each side would narrow this area. If the fuselage is to shallow then this would not work and just make a narrow squat odd looking Spitfire I guess?

Adding lenght to the tail area looks to be a good idea.

Changing the rads looks to be a must then and is not too hard a problem, looking at a Mk.XIVe today (real one) and the 14 has very deep radiators on it, a bit of gauze would not look out of place either as so much can be seen, even in 1/72.

Just looking at your Mk.XIV Giorgio, I really like the scheme! those small wing roundels really mess with the look of the wings! must be a perspective thing?

Not mocking your build in anyway (!!!) but the fuselage does look fat around the cockpit area, and is very noticeable, prehaps with the light greay used, and the fact that the kit has this fault anyway. This is why i was thinking that shaving a little of each side would narrow this area. If the fuselage is to shallow then this would not work and just make a narrow squat odd looking Spitfire I guess?

Adding lenght to the tail area looks to be a good idea.

Changing the rads looks to be a must then and is not too hard a problem, looking at a Mk.XIVe today (real one) and the 14 has very deep radiators on it, a bit of gauze would not look out of place either as so much can be seen, even in 1/72.

Don't worry, I know what you mean with "fat fuselage". Consider that "my" model is already well leaner than the original academy kit in the cockpit area, with the result that the original clear parts didn't fit any more and were replaced with Falcon vacforms. You can imagine what the original is like....What I believe also contibutes to the fat look is the shape of the fuselage immediately behind the cockpit, that doesn't look too right to me. I have to say the pictures have also somewhat "compressed" the model, I have it here and looks less fat. I'll try and take better ones.

On mine I used the kit radiators with a relatively simple modifications: I cut the radiators from the wings, then separated the sidewalls from the bottom and glued them back with the right angles. The area below the radiator was then rebuilt. Instead of gauze I used the metal mesh that comes with the old Ventura spitfires, but gauze is what I used before buying these.

All in all it's a job that can be done and can be done better than what I did. I'm not sure however if it's worth... probably a more accurate model can be done mixing an airfix XIX with a IX, although the XIX has a cowling that's too short for a two stage griffon spit. Best option is probably to cut the XIX cowling to the right length and attach it to a suitable IX. Tricky as it requires fettling with the wing roots but it's something I'd like to try. Then of course I might just buy an AZ kit.. :lol:

The colour scheme is very interesting and was used only on the planes of this unit. Decals came from Freightdog.

• 3 years later...

Hey there, just came across this thread, I know it's rather old now... But if anyone does come across this again when looking for XIV kits then I hope this will send them in the right direction 1/72 Spitfire XIV kits it never got stickied in the end after a few people did request for it to be.

I have built all of the kits shown there and... my verdict... AZ Models' Legato XIV is by far the easiest to get hold of and make a fantastic looking model, HOWEVER, the fit is awful and the construction is very difficult. IMO the best kit (by far) is Fujimi's, all you need to do is have a bit of patience with the nose and raid your spares box for cockpit parts (if you build the high back you'll need the resin fuselage spine).

Ben

Edited by wellsprop
  • Like 1

I know it may be hard work to build let alone find one, but the Ventura 1/72nd kit is nice in all aspects. Lots of room to add all you want but I reckon its one iof the nicer 72nd Mk.14s. I have one built and one in my stash. See post 39 in Bens link above.

• Like 1

From other basket - I have handfull of cheaply bought old Vb/Ia from airfix, and, looking at price tag at Sword's Vc's, I decided to buy some cheaper Xtrakits XII to replace the nose for merlin's one from those old Airfix.

I about bit the stem off my pipe when I read this, the Xtrakit XIIs are so thin on the ground as to be worth their weight in gold.

• Like 1