1/72 Spitfire XIV kits

Master Zen

I haven't built the AZ Mk XIVs but I have built all three versions of the Sword ones. I can't comment on accuracy as I didn't compare them to any drawings but I can comment on the kits. I found a couple of minor issues with the Sword kits, nothing at all that can't be solved by applying basic modelling skills but worth noting in my opinion:

1. On the FR kit, Sword recommend cutting out holes in the lower fuselage to accommodate vetical camera lenses, which, according to my references were never fitted (I stand to be corrected on this though)

2. Again on the FR kit, I found the camera port to be heavily flashed and once cleaned, very thick lipped so a good going over with a round file is required to make it more presentable

3. On the low back kits the instructions show the rear head armour and its supporting structure as being molded to one of the fusleage halfs. They aren't. They need to be scratch built out of plastic sheet. While not in the least bit difficult, it is a bit of a cheat on Sword's part.

4. On all three versions the instructions show the instrument panel being fitted against tabs either side of the lower cockpit part. Those tabs aren't there.

5. It is easier to insert the cockpit components into the fuselage from below and separately i.e. instrument panel and rear cockpit framing/seat assembly THEN add the lower cockpit part. This means that the IP and rear cockpit/seat assembly are the correct distance apart and don't get pulled out of alignment when being fitted.

Other than these very minor niggles, I found the kits to be wee gems. They are currently stalled at the painting stage due to a damaged airbrush nozzle but unless I screw up massively they should turn out very nicely.

Just my tuppence worth

DC

• Like 7

1.These were a feature of the FR XVIII ,i've not found any reference to an FR XIV having them.

3,It should be a supporting rod ,not the later  (mk 22 +) style support as shown in the instructions.

The Sword kits are really nice ,especially the boxing's where you get high and lowback fuselages.

Edited by Gwart
  • Like 4

On 12/01/2017 at 11:41 PM, Gwart said:

1.These were a feature of the FR XVIII ,i've not found any reference to an FR XIV having them.

3,It should be a supporting rod ,not the later  (mk 22 +) style support as shown in the instructions.

The Sword kits are really nice ,especially the boxing's where you get high and lowback fuselages.

Hi Gwart

I thought that was the case with the camera ports but didn't know about the headrest support, I guess I'd better replace my scratch built ones before I glue the canopies in place! Good job I read this before I got the glue out :)

Cheers

DC

Were sliding parts on Spitfire Bubbletops (XIV and XVI) the same or not? :hmmm:

** thinking about getting Eduard XVI Dual Combo and using bubletop canopy for Fujimi XIV low-back.. **