1/72 Spitfire XIV kits

Master Zen

• 2 years later...

Mega bump!

Now that Sword has entered the market I was wondering if anyone has any hands on experience between that and the AZ. I have a few AZ in the stash and wondering if they're worth replacing with the Sword kits which are quite cheap.

There's a really great review here but only compares Sword with Fujimi.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2016/reviews/kits/sword72095reviewmd_1.htm

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Phantome said:

Now that Sword has entered the market I was wondering if anyone has any hands on experience between that and the AZ. I have a few AZ in the stash and wondering if they're worth replacing with the Sword kits which are quite cheap.

Or you could spend the money on tarting up the AZ kit. It cleans up quite nicely. I added a Marabu photoetch cockpit and Quickboost prop & exhausts to my AZ high back XIV:

IMG_0565.jpg

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Or you could spend the money on tarting up the AZ kit. It cleans up quite nicely. I added a Marabu photoetch cockpit and Quickboost prop & exhausts to my AZ high back XIV:

IMG_0565.jpg

Cheers,

Bill

Very nice model! Great job with the choice of markings, colors, and weathering...very subtle and not overdone! Hope I can do as well!

Mike

3 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Cheers,

Bill

That's an amazing build. If the Sword doesn't really offer much of an advantage in build ease and quality, I'll probably stick with my AZs. Still curious though if anyone has done both...

The Sword kits are a significant improvement over the AZ kits, especially the lowbacks.  Two alternate lower wings, spare high back fuselage in the bubbletop versions and crisper mouldings.

Personally, I'd just build the AZ kits and buy some Sword ones too, on the perfectly reasonable grounds that you can *never* have enough Spitfires.

• Like 7

My AZ high back kit gave me a spare low back fuselage....which I'll probably use on my AZ (Legato) low back kit because it has a moulding flaw in the port exhaust.     :)

Cheers,

Bill

There's a problem with the tailfin on the AZ lowback.  Fin's too tall for an 18, so once the too large rudder is removed, you've only got a 14.  Still, it's a nice kit but the only decent 18 we have is the old Ventura (now Jay's) kit and the equally old and long OOP Aeroclub fuselage conversion.

Thankfully, Freightdog have a resin conversion tail unit for the Sword kit.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0
Grammar nazism

24 minutes ago, The Wooksta! said:

Fujimi, I thought, but one imagines it'd work with a Sword.

Hello,

I'm working on a Mk XIV right now, and I checked the accuracy of the new Sword kit after reading the review article on Hyperscale; for those who like first and foremost accuracy, I have to say that the fuselage is short by about 1mm, and the fin+rudder thing needs some adjustment too (being slightly too tall).

Cheers, Stefano

On 03/01/2017 at 03:30, The Wooksta! said:

There's a problem with the tailfin on the AZ lowback.  Fin's too tall for an 18, so once the too large rudder is removed, you've only got a 14.  Still, it's a nice kit but the only decent 18 we have is the old Ventura (now Jay's) kit and the equally old and long OOP Aeroclub fuselage conversion.

Lee

I'm not up on 72nd, do any of the 72nd kits get the  Mk.18 wing right?

for those puzzled

not difficult to convert an E  wing though.

cheers

T

Possibly the Ventura XVIII, as that was a dedicated kit and their accuracy was pretty good.  I don't have an AZ or Ventura one to hand at the minute, although being E wings they definitely didn't have the ejection chutes in the outer positions.  

The MPM XVIII was a complete abortion and best forgotten.

I have more Ventura Spitfire kits than I can shake a stick at.  Yes, they are accurate and yes they are beauties when done but the huge amount of cleanup tends to put people off and they usually end up in second hand boxes for a few quid - I scored for a pair at a pound each at Telford a few years back.

The same goes for the Aeroclub fuselages.  And I have a large number of those too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

I have more Ventura Spitfire kits than I can shake a stick at.  Yes, they are accurate and yes they are beauties when done but the huge amount of cleanup tends to put people off and they usually end up in second hand boxes for a few quid - I scored for a pair at a pound each at Telford a few years back.

The same goes for the Aeroclub fuselages.  And I have a large number of those too.

Yes, I too have stupid quantities of Ventura Spitfires, especially the XIV, for which I paid full price back when the kit was first released, when it was the only Mk XIV available and I was totally unrealistic about how much work I would be willing to invest in building them. I was buying them 3 at a time! I have multiples of almost every Ventura release, with many multiples of the XIV, VIII, and Seafire XV. I'm on the wrong continent, otherwise I might be the one selling them off at Telford for a pound apiece... :wall:

John

• Like 1

On 1/2/2017 at 9:45 PM, The Wooksta! said:

The Sword kits are a significant improvement over the AZ kits, especially the lowbacks.  Two alternate lower wings, spare high back fuselage in the bubbletop versions and crisper mouldings.

Personally, I'd just build the AZ kits and buy some Sword ones too, on the perfectly reasonable grounds that you can *never* have enough Spitfires.

I like your logic. ;)

My wallet doesn't, but my heart does.

On 1/3/2017 at 5:00 AM, Bell209 said:

Hopefully Airfix will follow up their Mk XIX with a XIV shortly.

I respect your opinion but frankly, I find their XIX to be terrible. Italeri-like panel lines, no wheel well detail, etc. etc.

I'm placing my bets on an AZ new tool or ... *drool* Eduard

3 hours ago, Phantome said:

I respect your opinion but frankly, I find their XIX to be terrible. Italeri-like panel lines, no wheel well detail, etc. etc.

I'm placing my bets on an AZ new tool or ... *drool* Eduard

Really? Not having seen it, I'm surprised at that. I thought their new stuff was high quality?

4 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Really? Not having seen it, I'm surprised at that. I thought their new stuff was high quality?

The 1/72 XIX was one of the Hornby Airfix revival's early efforts and is a bit basic in places, with excessively wide panel lines. If they released a XIV now, I'd expect it to have more in common detail-wise with their excellent Mk.22. The panel lines on this are fine, in my view.

John.

• Like 4

On 07/01/2017 at 10:00, johnd said:

The 1/72 XIX was one of the Hornby Airfix revival's early efforts and is a bit basic in places, with excessively wide panel lines. If they released a XIV now, I'd expect it to have more in common detail-wise with their excellent Mk.22. The panel lines on this are fine, in my view.

John.

Hi John

i really hope that Airfix will soon release a Mk XIV like their  Mk 22 ...

Regards

Patrice

• Like 4