Polikarpov I-16, captured by the Finns

Hi guys

This will be my first effort for this Group Build. It is a Soviet Polikarpov I-16, Type 24, that was captured by the Finns in the Winter War of 1940, and was converted to the Finnish designation VH-201. It was subsequently sent to the German test establishment at Rechlin in April 1941 for testing against German fighters while they were preparing for Operation Barbarossa, the invasion of Russia that summer.

The kit is an old Hasegawa one (dated 1995) that I picked up in the kitswop at Telford last November.

The box art (note the absence of the blue swastikas, for politically correct sales in Europe).

I-16boxart.jpg

The sprue layout - quite a few parts really, considering the model's diminutive size. (I also have an A model Type 6, which has a lot less parts)

I-16sprues.jpg

Close up of the decal sheet - note the mixture of blue swastikas and the blue and white crosses on the roundels.

I-16decals.jpg

Now, time to get modelling.... Watch this space!

Prenton

Edited by Prenton

• 3 months later...

Well....

After a lot of other things on my shelf, I finally realised last week that I had only a few days to finish this GB project.

(Talk about KUTA!)

So here goes:-

The interior and other bits and pieces were sprayed gloss black (as an undercoat, as I find that it allows for shadows etc

better than pre-shading (if I am careful)).

I-16spruepainted.jpg

Subsequently, I painted the cockpit in the light grey (as advised in the kit). Not sure about that - didn't the Russians often

have a kind of turquoise paint for the cockpit interiors? Anyhow, I will go with the light grey, as I don't have anything near

the turquoise in stock, and ordering some would take me well beyond the end of the GB.

However, the cockpit all seemed a bit too empty as modelled by Hasegawa, so I have spent the last couple of days looking

up the net, and have now put in a pile of scratchbuilt details for the cockpit:-

Both side panels had various switches and cables, so these have now been added. (they are not completely accurate, but

as close as is needed at this scale).

I-16cockpitinteriorleftside.jpg

I-16cockpitinteriorrightside.jpg

The seat was slightly modified, as was the floor of the cockpit - to put in the runners that were there for the pedals - the kit

only had a flat sheet.

I-16cockpitseat.jpg

(not sure this will even be seen, but whatever...)

More tomorrow (hopefully), when I have finished the cockpit and put it all together.

Philip

Edited by Prenton

Nice work Philip. Always liked the I-16 but never seen the contents of Hasegawa's kit until now. Will keep my eye on this one over the next few days.

Hi Prenton.Nice build so far.As for the question on the turquoise the answer is a definate NO!According to the book russian fighter colours 1939-1945 the fighters of the period had only primer sprayed in the cockpit areas in the case of your little fighter it would have been a type of chromate green the colour does not really matter though as long as it is a type of shiny green, the reason for this is that the paint arrived at the depots in a two part mixture that went different colours depending on the mix that the operator made.

Hope it helps a bit.

Regards...........

P.S did you know that the russian camo patterns for ww2 was "invented" by a woman(cant remember the name now but will look it up if you really need to know)

Thanks for the info. Didn't know about the interior colour - or indeed about the Russian woman who invented the Soviet Patriotic

War camo scheme. Don't need to know, thanks, as this is an I-16, captured by the Finns, who then re-did the camo to their

own requirements.

I take your point on the interior colour. However, I have already finished painting the interior details, and at this stage I don't relish

starting again, so I will stick with the light grey. The cockpit is so small in 1/72 that it probably won't be noticeable. Anyhow, perhaps

the Finns repainted it after capture (at least that is a story that nobody can disprove.....)

This is where I am at now:-

I-16cockpitandseatfinished.jpg

Various bits and bobs on the cockpit walls painted up, with knobs in chrome silver and cables in yellow. The seat has been given tamiya

masking tape seatbelts, livened up with black detailing using a 5x0 paintbrush, silver buckles and an overpaint in a heavily thinned buff

colour. All that is left is to do the leather head cushion, the control panel (with the decals from the kit, as it cannot be seen from outside),

and the fuselage can then be closed up.

Thanks for looking!

Philip

Edited by Prenton

Further progress.

The major structural elements - fuselage and wings - have been put together.

I-16modelputtogether.jpg

After a bit of filling along wing joins (as you can see, despite being a Hasegawa, the dimensions between the fuselage and

the wings were not by any means tight), the model got a primer coat of overall Tamiya light grey acrylics, followed by my

own mix of Tamiya light blue (XF-23) with a dash of clear blue (X-23) to get as close as possible to the light blue shade on

the underside, and dark green to the top.

I-16-undercarriagepainted.jpg

After this, it is ready for a bit of masking for the upper green and black Finnish camo using loads of blue tack and masking tape

IMG_3717.jpg

More tomorrow!

Philip

Edited by Prenton

A good bit of masking and spraying, and now I have the (rather unusual) black and green Finnish camo pattern completed.

I-16completefinishcamo.jpg

A night to allow the paint to dry, and on with the Future tomorrow (probably in two coats), in preparation for the decals on Friday. (I might just make the deadline!)

Philip

The final shots - Futured, decalled, undercarriage and bits and bobs added. Thankfully, the canopy is a single piece that just slots in. You also have the option to include the wing guns as holes (presumably machine guns inside) or with small cannon. I went for the cannon.

i-16finalfront.jpg

i-16finaltop.jpg

i-16finalside.jpg

The model is a real gem, with very good detail. However, the "politically correct" arrangement of decals leaves a lot to be desired, as it forces you to put on the decals with the white circles and blue crosses first, and then the blue Swastikas on top of the blue cross decals. Guess what - they are not the same size! So a bit of patching with spare bits of white decal was necessary.

So the message is - if you happen to come upon the Hasegawa I-16 kit, find some aftermarket decals with Finnish markings already on the white circles, or else - if you are REALLY good at masking, mask off individual white circles and paint them on first. This should be possible on the wings, but would be extremely fiddly on the fuselage sides.

This photo will show you why - this kit is VERY small.....Here it is beside a €2 coin.

i-16finalcoincomparison.jpg

The very last thing is to mount the model on a suitable "wintry scene" base as befits its northerly location. (It does have skis instead of wheels). So a snowy field somethere above the Arctic Circle does the job.

snowscene3.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Philip

Beautiful job Philip. I knew the I-16 was small but the coin really brings home its tiny dimensions! Will look out for this kit in future as I always regret missing it when it was available.