Italeri Vb AD233 ZD-F

This will (mostly) be a straight from the box build but with a few bits from an Airfix Vc. I've wanted to do this particular machine ever since I sold posters of it in the 80's when with the Merseyside Aviation Society. It's not the airframe itself, but how it's finished. It is in my opinion the grottiest RAF Spitfire ever...........

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonbius/Aircra...827924022197410

Two shades of green, two shades of grey, mismatched cowlings, missing cowling fasterner,s wing tip and ailerons either repainted or replaced, non standard white codes, tail band and spinner, chips, scuffs and oil stains, what's not to love?

I realise that I may well be walking into someone's crosshairs on interpreting such a well known and variously reproduced picture, but I want to see if I can reproduce it in 3D.

A couple of questions though

1) is there a known port side view of this particular machine?

2) is there a source for the non standard codes?

Onwards and upwards!

Trevor

Edited by Max Headroom

I realise that I may well be walking into someone's crosshairs on interpreting such a well known and variously reproduced picture, but I want to see if I can reproduce it in 3D.

Brave man indeed! That picture has caused so much controversy over the years. So... I recommend you ignore all the controversy and advice and just go ahead and build your model as you see fit. This will look good.

I've wanted to do this particular machine ever since I sold posters of it in the 80's when with the Merseyside Aviation Society. It's not the airframe itself, but how it's finished. It is in my opinion the grottiest RAF Spitfire ever...........

Two shades of green, two shades of grey, mismatched cowlings, missing cowling fasterner,s wing tip and ailerons either repainted or replaced, non standard white codes, tail band and spinner, chips, scuffs and oil stains, what's not to love?

Trevor

This picture has cropped up a few times on this forum and has been the cause of some fierce debate. Every time I see this picture reproduces it looks a little different and this seems to be the reddest so far.

My view is that whilst the picture is an interesting indicator of the type of wear that could affect the finish on a Spitfire I would be wary of accepting it as an accurate indicator of colour. You mention, for instance, the apparently white codes, tail band and spinner. Whilst white codes may have cropped up now and then I do not think a white tail band ever would have. It was an identification feature, so I do not think another colour would have been substituted.

Having said that, I do wish you well as I would dearly love to see someone have a go at representing this aircraft. I have thought about it a few times, but never had the nerve.

Having said that, I do wish you well as I would dearly love to see someone have a go at representing this aircraft. I have thought about it a few times, but never had the nerve.

Okaaay....................now I'm a tad worried!

As you say there are different reproductions of the colouring so I may end up averaging them out. Whatever I do I will give some sort of (flawed?) reasoning.

At least it will deflect arguments about the relative merits of the Airfix and Italeri Spit Vb's :evil_laugh::angrysoapbox.sml:

Trevor the nervous

Edited by Max Headroom

• 1 month later...

Blimey, some people have finished their builds, so I had better get a move on...........

I have mentioned before that I like this kit over the Airfix Vb for its engraved panel lines, canopy and the cockpit detail. Having said that there is no representation of rib detail or levers etc so I felt the need to add something so that (from a distance at least) it looks plausable. You can see I've started here.

20fcd07e.jpg

This as far as the detailing goes

2923ee0f.jpg

d35660e1.jpg

I also added a lever to the seat

ac1418d4.jpg

To be honest I don't think much else would be visible. Obviously though, seat belts will be added in due course.

The detail is plastic strip and rod with some shims of scrap plastic. The oxygen bottles on the port side are spare outer cannon plugs from the Airfix Vc.

da6c64f1.jpg

The wings look nice but the cannon need chopping off as it's an amorphous blob.

ac3b6c05.jpg

I'm a bit puzzled about the patches over the wing ports. They will need to be sanded smooth.

efd27b09.jpg

PHEW! that was a rare spurt of modelling energy on my part.

More soon (?)

Trevor

Edited by Max Headroom

The patches over the gun ports are a mistake by italeri: for some reason they thought that the (usually) red patches were plates... the same error is in their Mk.IX

Would spare amount of keyboards, if you'd count what italeri made correct instead of counting errors... :(

Well I like what you've done so far. As to the critical paint job: Paint as you see it- if others disagree, let 'em. They can build their's, their own waytongue.gif

• 1 month later...

I need to jump start my modelling mojo!

Not done much modelling at all recently, but I had a bit of a painting spurt this morning..........

Here is the painted interior. Not done much in the way of superdetailing as I intend to have the office closed on completion. Sorry about the qulity of pics (and modelling I suppose) but I'm using the camera phone.

eaaac6a7.jpg

057238d0.jpg

19adab55.jpg

dca7c351.jpg

Trevor

I'll crack on then - more later!

Edited by Max Headroom

Later.........

This isn't the first Italeri Spitfire I've built, but I don't remember the wing/fuselage joint being this sloppy.

77dcee1c.jpg

3a622aa8.jpg

664f1986.jpg

.......and now for the Milliput.

More soon

Trevor

• 2 weeks later...
OH thank Heven, its green putty! I thought for a moment the little feller had a case of damp rot :banghead:

seriously ; looks like your doing fine.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Hopelessly overdue I've overshot the group build deadline but I'm making progress.........

6e615e2f.jpg

c665676c.jpg

887909ab.jpg

There is Airfix Vc DNA in there, specifically the aeriel mast and the cannon barrels, because the kit ones are to be frank pants. I've also used the Airfix undercarriage as it appears sturdier to me. In due course the Airfix prop will be used.

A bit of masking and I'll give it a coat of rattle can white (today?) to show up if (if!!) there are any blemishes, before wielding the hairy stick for the controversial bit, namely that colour scheme.

Talking of which, I've now found a better picture on t'interweb

iwm.jpg

The colours seem more balanced and a revelation (to me at least) are the codes, spinner and tail band look distinctly skyish to me and not white as I have always thought.....

full.jpg

Anyhow, it's still a patchwork quilt and the scruffiest Spit ever (unless of course you can think of another).

Onwards and upwards.

Trevor

Edited by Max Headroom

All masked up and ready to go

46814f4c.jpg

be1ccf22.jpg

What I hadn't reckoned with was that the rattle can was about to run out, so that instead of a flat white finish, I got this......

24180228.jpg

10f64164.jpg

:wall:

ho hum!

Camo next......

Trevor

Edited by Max Headroom

Ouch! That, (what one does to draw liquid up a straw).:shithappens:

Having not run out o paint (today anyway), I can only look on with fascination as you plunge on and on an................

Good luck shamrocker.jpg