1/72 Douglas Skyraider AEW1

Well I have finally finished my first real "conversion". This is the Aeroclub Skyraider AEW1 set (which comprises injection moulded fuselage, radome, finlets with white metal leading edge slats and vac canopy) combined with a Hasegawa A1-H which donated the cowling and part of front fuselage, wings and other bits and bobs.

38369078902_4f0d5601c2_o.jpgaew2 

The Aeroclub parts are typical limited run i.m. so need a fair bit of cleaning up to start with. I found the instructions a little unclear - they say to cut the Hasegawa fuselage 2.5mm from the front of the cockpit, but the diagram which appears to be 1/72 scale, shows a cut 4.5 mm from the front. The cut 4.5mm in is also in an obvious place right down a panel line and would allow a smooth join at the lower fuselage so that was what I plumped for. I can't help but wonder if that was correct as I think the front end looks a little short, but ho-hum too late now!

38369079912_20ecdfe5a6_o.jpgaew6 

The join of radome to fuselage is tricky and in blending this in I managed to make the join too slab-sided whereas on the real thing it is sharply pinched in. I simulated this join with a scribed line but to be honest if I did this again I'm not sure I could have done much better considering the way the Aeroclub radome is moulded. On many RN Skyraiders the landing gear covers extends down on one side towards the tyre and with a bit of chopping of the donor kits gear covers I was able to reproduce this.

38369080202_66ae42a597_o.jpgaew7 

Fitting the bubble windows in the rear fuselage caused me a lot of anxiety. I was sure I would accidently press these back into the aircraft at a late stage. My "Plan B" would have been to drill a hole in the bottom wide enough for a finger to try to refit them from inside. For once a disaster didn’t happen although on one occasion I picked the model up by the bubbles and one gave way a bit. I had fixed them in with white glue so I ran some water in the window which melted the glue and resealed the join when it dried.

38369078702_f8de839a54_o.jpgaew1 

I had the Modelart Skyraider decal sheet but my main inspiration came from this website which has some wonderful colour pictures - http://www.skyraider.org/skyassn/memberpic...well/cowell.htm

I decided to build “427” from Jim Cowell’s pictures (as another 427 was on the decal sheet), and a helpful Britmodeller was able to identify this for me as WV182. The roundels on some RN Skyraiders had a lighter blue shade (presumably to better show against the Gloss Sea Blue background?) but the ones on the Modelart sheet were too washed out to my eyes. However I had a sheet of post-war roundels from Delta Decals which did have a bright blue which I think looks quite like that shown in the colour pics. Paint was Xtracrylix Gloss Sea Blue. Pilot is a Matchbox defector!!

38369080512_bd3d8f857f_o.jpgaew8 

38369079712_d4dff8b660_o.jpgaew5 

Hope you like!

Edited by Pat C
  • Like 17

Man, that looks great! I've never see that variant before and what an intriguing aircraft it is! Fantastic!

Outstanding effort there! Nice, clean, sharp looking model. I've always wanted to do one of these myself, ever since I started browsing through my Dad's copies of Scale Aircraft Modelling when I was a lot younger than I am now. Only problem back then was that everything I needed was beyond pocket money and now everything I need is beyond what I'm willing to pay on Evilbay! Oh well, guess I might just have to go old school and think about cracking out the balsa wood...