Revell BAe Hawk T1, Red Arrows

Mike

There has been such a load of fantastic reference material of late on various threads. Is it possible we could group it all together as a single point of reference, eg a comprehnsive walkaround?

Seconded :)

Hello fellow Hawksters, thank you all for your enthusiastic encouragement, very much appreciated. Your support is keeping this build bubbling along nicely and I'm enjoying every minute. I know I sound like a broken record but this is a lovely model kit. I have n't had this much fun for a while. ^_^

Ayup Mark, I'm already looking forward to seeing your next 1/32nd scale Hawk. I hope I've given you an idea or two.

speedy said:
........... I've now got an idea for it :whistle: , so this evening I've opened the box and started it.

Steve.

Hi Steve, cheers mate. Now I'm intrigued. I'll keep an eye out for your build thread. I'd like to know what your idea is :coolio:

Hello Royster, thanks for stopping by. Glad you like the build so far, cheers. :beer:

Shaun said:
Keep up the good work, you appear to be doing all the trail blazing for the rest of us on this build

What size Archer rivets did you use?

Nice idea for the rear fuselage extension, might be copying that approach.

To quote "The Hawk comes of age book", this fairing was designed by Fred Sutton and was nicknamed "Freds rear end" by the fitters!

Keep up the good work

Shaun.

Hi Shaun, cheers for the kind words although I think perhaps Mark and Iain blazed the trail first? I'm using the smallest HO size Archer rivets. I think HO is closer to 1/72nd scale than 1/32nd but since they're meant for railway rolling stock and bridges the larger OO gauge rivets look too big to me.

I've been doing a bit more work on "Freds' rear end", see below. ;)

Hello seadog, thanks for the kind words. I hope there might be the odd thing you can take from this thread even if it's only how good this kit is....did I say that already? :whistle:

Mike said:
Love the Archer rivets on the trailing edges. They're a damn good piece of kit, aren't they?

Hi Mike, yeah, the Archer rivets are superb. They are a bit on the costly side though. I've just spent more on two sheets than I spent to buy the kit in the first place. :blush: I was hoping to avoid spending any money on aftermarket but it's difficult to get the raised rivets any other way.

Hello Andy, that sounds like a super idea. I think having so many excellent builds going on at the same time is a real inspiration.

Just a quick update today. I've finally managed to button up the fuselage :bounce: It feels like a milestone has been reached and although there's still plenty to keep me occupied I got alot of satisfaction seeing the fuselage complete. It was n't without issue though. Nothing major, just a fit problem with the nose area.

tn_Tail_section_019.jpg

I had difficulty getting the nose to close up even after I'd sanded away some material from the edge of the bulkheads. I could squeeze it together using firm pressure but was n't sure how the joint would last. In the end, I traced the problem to the front IP. By removing a little material from the edges of the instrument panel the nose closed nicely.

tn_Tail_section_022.jpg

With the fuselage together I went back to Freds' rear end (ooer:S) and worked on getting the taper correct. One thing was bugging me though. Going back to post #58 you'll remember that Pete posted a nice shot of the rear of a Red Arrows bird which raised a query on the shape of the "hips" of the fuselage. In an attempt to get closer to the profile of the full sized bird I sanded away a bit of the rump to smooth out the curve a little.

tn_Tail_section_023.jpg

tn_Tail_section_027.jpg

It's a good job I added that blob of green stuff inside the fuselage half. Let me stress, this mod is subtle and probably (like much of what I do :rolleyes: ) unnecesary but it does give a sleeker taper to the ar5e end. Judge for yourselves whether you think it is worth the effort. :shrug:

tn_Tail_section_029.jpg

I've begun work on the wings now which is the next large subassembly so if I get chance to do anything between household chores I'll be back with more before long.

Cheers for now. :clown:

Edited by geedubelyer

Mike

There has been such a load of fantastic reference material of late on various threads. Is it possible we could group it all together as a single point of reference, eg a comprehnsive walkaround?

i already started a Ref thread in the resources sections, please, please add to that

Mike

i already started a Ref thread in the resources sections, please, please add to that

Don't care if I come-off as a sychophant (spellcheck ?) here: This is simply one of the best presented and most informative build threads I have ever read. Geedubelyer & Mark keep it coming. So much good stuff here.

Ian

Just caught up with this build - superb stuff, even down to the punka lourve's in the cockpit! Just for info, gauge 4 in the first photo of post #11 is for the engine oil, thats why there is only one.

Hello gentlefolk, time for a miniscule update.

Spooky, thanks for stopping by, glad you like the build so far.

Iain (32SIG) said:
Bit surprised at the front fuselage joint issues though - mine went together with no problems at all?

Iain

Hi Iain, yeah, probably more to do with user error than the kit. :rolleyes:

Scarlet said:
........... even down to the punka lourve's in the cockpit!

Umm,....not quite sure what my punka lourves are but I'm pleased you like them :lol:

Scarlet said:
Just for info, gauge 4 in the first photo of post #11 is for the engine oil, thats why there is only one.

Cheers mate, great info thanks. :thumbsup2:

First up today a quick pic of the Archer resin decals.

tn_Flaps_008.jpg

Great service from Archer on these. I'm hoping that this will be all I need. $17.95 a sheet is not cheap. :S

I managed to seperate the flaps from the wings using the saw I used on Freds rear end. It's then necessary to build up the flap using plastic extrusion before sanding it back to the aerofoil cross-section.

tn_Flaps_006.jpg

It took a while until I was satisfied with the shape of each flap but once I'd managed to cover myself from head to foot in plastic sanding dust I then decided to attempt the stressed skin effect again. In the same way as before, I gently scored the surface of each flap with a curved blade then smoothed out the scratch with a sanding stick in the same direction as the score mark before finishing off by sanding across the flap with a sanding pad.

tn_Flaps_009.jpg

Looking at reference photos shows that there are quite large flush rivets along the trailing edge of the flap. I'll try to add these with an MDC rivetter.

One last idea before I bog off. If you plan to lower the flaps it's worth considering thinning the lip of the opening in the wing. This pic shows how thich the plastic is before sanding.

tn_Flaps_004a.jpg

The thinner profile is a subtle touch but can improve the look of the whole area.

I'm itching to start rivetting the rear fuselage now that the Archer transfers have shown up so I may put the flaps aside and add a few (hundred) dome head rivets to the tail section first. :whistle:

See you soon.

:fish:

Edited by geedubelyer

Umm,....not quite sure what my punka lourves are but I'm pleased you like them

The black circular things on the cockpit sills near to the edge of the intrument coming. God knows why they were called 'Punka lourves', they are just air vents like you have in your car.

you should see the real one outside

Yes, it is a Gnat, but the markings are not correct.

The Red Arrows Gnats had a 'lightning flash' beneath the cockpits. The Gnat outside the new Red Arrows base has a white straight line from the intake to the nose - and it has, I believe, a modern Red Arrows badge on the shield. The Red Arrows Gnats had the Central Flying School badge on the shield under the cockpits.

Cheers, Brian

Yes, it is a Gnat, but the markings are not correct.

The Red Arrows Gnats had a 'lightning flash' beneath the cockpits. The Gnat outside the new Red Arrows base has a white straight line from the intake to the nose - and it has, I believe, a modern Red Arrows badge on the shield. The Red Arrows Gnats had the Central Flying School badge on the shield under the cockpits.

Cheers, Brian

Your thinking of the Gnat outside the control tower at Kemble. I know cause I put it there. The markings are indeed incorrect but the one outside the reds hanger at Scampton are pukka.

stunning work Geedub

i dont kow how i missed this till now

my hawk is creeping ever closer to the work bench but i have some armour first up

those Archer rivets are stunning you can use them even individually

i just used some on the matlet cover of an m48 patton

the carrier film is just invisble when set with sol

your doing an incredible job watching with interest !

jim.

Edited by sonofjim

Your thinking of the Gnat outside the control tower at Kemble. I know cause I put it there. The markings are indeed incorrect but the one outside the reds hanger at Scampton are pukka.

No, I was on about the one at Scampton. When we were invited to the 40th Anniversary of the Red Arrows, we made the comment to the then current team, so they might have corrected it. I have a picture, (somewhere), that I'll drag out (when I find it).

Is Brian Wood your Dad?

Cheers, Brian

The black circular things on the cockpit sills near to the edge of the intrument coming. God knows why they were called 'Punka lourves', they are just air vents like you have in your car.

Isn't "punka" Hindi for "fan" or summat? The "louvre" bit is easy; it's French for "art gallery". (As is "aperetif" French for "dentures").

'ullo peeps, :bye: good to see everyone.

Hi Chris, thanks mate, glad you likey

Scarlet said:

Ah ha.....cheers Scarlet. You learn something new everyday. ;)

Hello Andy and Jim, thanks for your kind words guys, much appreciated.

Well I could n't resist breaking out the Archer rivets and having a go with them :innocent: I think this is something that one or two folk are keen to see as they're contemplating using these themselves so read on...

As Jim mentioned, these Archer surface details are brill. :thumbsup2: It took me a while to get used to them (you can tell where I started with my rivetting) but after a while I began to get the hang of them. I found that warm water was the key. I also left them in for about 30 seconds to soften them up nicely, otherwise I could n't get the long strings of rivets off the backing paper in one piece.

The pattern is roughly correct although some of the proportions are a bit off :P

Still, they should look reasonable under a coat of paint......time will tell.

tn_Rivets_006.jpg

tn_Rivets_007.jpg

There are more to apply on this side plus I've got the whole of the other side to complete along with the underside too. It is time consuming work though. This little lot took me most of the day.

Hinckley tomorrow all being well so the rest will have to wait until next week. I'll post up a few pics when I've sprayed them with primer so you can see if it's worth the effort.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend folks.

:chef:

Edited by geedubelyer

Just caught up with your Hawk build and it's looking stunning. You're making great progress. If you get chance at Hinckley stop over at the Sheffield Model group stand as it would be interesting to compare Hawk stories.

I haven't had much time recently to spend on mine but it's coming along slowly

FZ6 said:
If you get chance at Hinckley stop over at the Sheffield Model group stand as it would be interesting to compare Hawk stories.

Howdy mate, sorry I missed you at Hinckley. Actually, I missed the Sheffield Model group stand altogether :oops:. Just as a matter of interest, where was your stand? Did you enjoy the show and what goodies did you bag? ^_^

I hope you manage to get back to your Hawk before long. You're doing some 'triffic stuff. :thumbsup2:

I've only a small amount of progress to post. It does n't look like much but it's taken a while to do.

First up, a teeny tiny tid bit. A guy called Derek Bradshaw over on LSP was kind enough to point out that the ventral fins on the Hawk are actually flat plates rather than the beautifully sculpted aerofoil that Revell have created. Armed with a sanding stick or two I promptly flattened said strakes....

Before:

tn_Ventral_fillet_01.jpg

After:

tn_Ventral_fillet_02.jpg

The addition of a rivetted metal foil band along the joint will see that one complete.

Next up came the flaps. I'd already done some work on these but I still had the secondary flaplet to add.

The smaller unit has a very pronounced aerofoil section which took a bit of sanding. I cheated with the undersurface of this element though 'cos the concave curve only extends for a few mm along the length of the flap...... ;)

tn_Flaps_013.jpg

Finally, I managed to install and paint the main gear wells. Spurred on by the superb job Iain did on the wheel wells of his build I decided to leave them entirely box stock.

I used Valejo White Grey over a white primer for the base and picked out the details with Citadel Boltgun Metal and Chainmail. A layer of Citadel 'Ard Coat gloss varnish gave a nice base for an oil paint wash. This is drying now ready for the wings to be assembled next.

tn_Wheel_bays_012.jpg

tn_Wheel_bays_013.jpg

Enjoy the remainder of your weekend gentlefolk

:pilot:

Edited by geedubelyer
  • Like 1