Heavy Armoured Infantry Car S.Sp

Paul A H

Heavy Armoured Infantry Car S.Sp

1:72 Unimodel (UM)

HeavyArmouredCarBoxtop.jpg

The S.Sp (Schwerer Schienenpanzer or Heavy Rail Tank) class of armoured rail cars came into service with the Reichsbahn in 1944. They were employed mainly in the Balkans to combat partisans engaged in sabotage activity. Although designed to operate in a train of similar cars, each car was also able to operate independently. Power was derived from an air-cooled diesel engine which was capable of propelling the 18-ton car at up to 40kph.

The heavy infantry variant was armed with one heavy machine gun, four light machine guns and two 8-cm mortars. Other variants included a light reconnaissance car and an artillery car armed with a 75mm gun.

HeavyArmouredSprue1.jpg

HeavyArmouredSprue2.jpg

Established Ukrainian manufacturer Unimodel, or UM, will be a name familiar to most aficionados of small-scale armour as they are well known for producing a large range of armour, artillery and vehicle kits in 1:72 scale. Their Heavy Armoured Infantry Car S.Sp arrives in their usual end-opening box, with a nice, clear painting of the subject on the front and a full colour painting guide on the rear. Inside are 5 small sprues of light grey plastic, instructions and a small decal sheet, safely packed in its own bag for protection.

All of the parts are nicely moulded. Detail is nice and crisp, and there appear to be no sink marks, although there is a little light flash in a few places. Construction is very straightforward and begins with the addition of exhausts and lights to the lower hull. The wheels and axles then have to be assembled before the flat slabs that form the sides and roof of the car are made up. Buffers and pioneer tools, which are moulded separately, then have to be fixed in place, before the addition of the turret completes the job. By way of a nice finishing touch, a small section of track is included to display the finished model on.

HeavyArmouredSprue3.jpg

Just one colour scheme is provided; an overall dark yellow machine. Colour references are for Humbrol paints. Although a variety of Balkenkreuz decals are provided, the instructions advise the builder to use just the plain black version. Presumably the small decal sheet is a generic type that Unimodel use in other kits. In any case it looks pretty well printed.

HeavyArmouredDecals.jpg

Conclusion

This kit looks great on the sprue and it should build up into a nice model. The low part count (58) means it should be a relaxing, straightforward build – ideal if you’re looking for something a bit different to help alleviate modeller’s block. The kit could also be combined with some of Unimodel’s other armoured rail cars and tank transporters to form an unusual diorama.

Review sample courtesy of scale-model-kits.jpg

Thanks chaps!

Never seen that before....I wonder what a 1/35 would be like for size.

I reckon about the size of a Panther or Tiger tank. Dragon and Trumpeter both produce a few armoured rail cars in 1:35. I've figured out why I like this kit too - all the fun of a tank, but no tyres to paint and no tracks to fiddle around with :D

Thanks chaps!

I reckon about the size of a Panther or Tiger tank. Dragon and Trumpeter both produce a few armoured rail cars in 1:35. I've figured out why I like this kit too - all the fun of a tank, but no tyres to paint and no tracks to fiddle around with :D

Ah, right....I somehow imagined bigger.