Slovak Tiger Mig-29 digital scheme

Paul

I've been looking forward to this one :thumbsup:

I've got an Italeri Mig-29, some Kopro decals and an Eduard etch set.

I have to say that I'm a bit apprehensive about the decals, especially as they cover the upper aux doors and will need some slicing to get them to sit on the louvres :banghead:

Mig291.jpg

Edited by Paul

• 1 month later...

Some more progress. The joint where the fuselage meets at the nose is a bit of a challenge, but I think its nearly there now.

IMG_0566.jpg

I'm a bit concerned that two of the large camouflage decals go right over the auxiliary intake doors on the top. I think I'll put them on and give it a coat of klear before cutting them with a scalpel and gluing the flaps down with some more klear.

Does that sound about right? Or should I cut them before applying the klear?

honestly Paul, sounds like hard work. I'd be inclined to photocopy the decals, lay the photocopy over the model, mark on the intake louvres, transfer to the decals, cut out the whole intake area and then decal the louvres individually.

Best of luck whatever method you try.

honestly Paul, sounds like hard work. I'd be inclined to photocopy the decals, lay the photocopy over the model, mark on the intake louvres, transfer to the decals, cut out the whole intake area and then decal the louvres individually.

Best of luck whatever method you try.

That does sound easier Deon. Thanks, I'll give it a try :cheers:

Quick progress and looking good, nose profile looks odd from that angle but it's bound to without the canopy :) i've got a couple of these to make, and this build is whetting my appetite!

Thanks for the comments guys :thumbsup:

Quick progress and looking good, nose profile looks odd from that angle but it's bound to without the canopy :) i've got a couple of these to make, and this build is whetting my appetite!

The nose profile is odd Deon! I used so much glue trying to get it to stay together that the plastic went very odd indeed. Now its firmly together and full of filler I'll try to get it in the right-ish shape.

• 4 weeks later...

Disaster! :doh:

IMG_0791.jpg

Whilst trying to get the nose into the right shape, a large hole appeared where there was previously some plastic and much filler.

Any ideas of how to fill this? I thought about filling the majority of the nose with Mr White putty, can anyone recommend a filler which will stay in place any better?

No worries

Try epoxy putty, or Tamiya light cure putty. (which is a type of epoxy putty - but it cures when exposed to bright light)

You can use it to plug up the hole and the inside of the nose (will add some weight to the nose too - never a bad thing, and once the hole is plugged up you can add more to sculpt it into the hole and smooth it all out.

'

You may need to plug a lot into that hole (hehe) to build up enough for the putty on the outside to have something to rest against, but it won't be difficult with the epoxy. The stuff is pretty versatile, and works well on major jobs like this.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying Mr White Putty at the moment as I have some and will move through all of your suggestions in turn till one stays in the hole!

:cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

That's torn it (literally)!

I started putting on the KoPro decals, which seemed lovely at first. Then I managed to get a corner folded under on a large wing sized decal and destroyed the decal whilst trying to sort it out.

I've got this far though, so I'll order some more from the Czech Republic.

This certainly won't happen in time for the end of the GB.

Another failure :doh:

I'll be posting on the decals section for advice on using large decals as this is not the first time its happened to me. Any advice would be appreciated!

Heart-breaking. Good luck when the new decals arrive. It is an impressive scheme - I took a pic of one at Farnborough 3 years ago.

Andy

Heart-breaking. Good luck when the new decals arrive. It is an impressive scheme - I took a pic of one at Farnborough 3 years ago.

Andy

Thanks Andy, thats where i saw it too.

Bad luck old chap, maybe there's some spare marking in the decal bank?

Good idea, but I was so eager that I've ordered another set already.

Thanks for the consolations guys :cheers: