Encore 1/32 Fokker F1 Finished

Viking

...and dropped !!

FokkerF1.jpg

Only needed to fix the wheels in and make the windscreen.

Might be able to save it, but both those interplane struts have snapped. Aaaaaaagggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

:shithappens:

Later that same day....

Got it back together and re-done the rigging. Its not quite as good as it was, but all things considered I'm glad I got it back together.

Having checked my references it doesn't even have a windshiled, and that was the only reason I picked it up and dropped it from a standing height, neatly catching the edge of workbench on its way to the floor.

I'll put it in a cbinet now and leave it there......

FokkerF12.jpg

FokkerF13.jpg

FokkerF15.jpg

FokkerF16.jpg

FokkerF17.jpg

FokkerF18.jpg

OOOH!! That first pic!! :o I can´t imagine what you felt like watching it´s maiden flight

Very well done on the rescueing of a lovely build. :worthy:

I too would like to know how you did the streaked Fokker paint effect

Thanks guys,

Yes I was pretty p*****d off. It was Sunday morning, I was about to have a couple of hours at the workbench when I went and did that. I was planning on starting my Wingnuts Roland but never got to it because of 'Fixing the F****d Fokker'.

Anyway, the streaked camouflage. It took a bit of practise on scraps but I evolved a technique that gave the result you see here.

I painted all parts as major sub-assemblies - Fuselage, tail & wings. After halfords grey primer from a can, they were sprayed with Citadel Catachan green (sort of RLM 02 colour) which was left 24 hours and given a brushed coat of Klear to further protect it.

Then the fun. I use 'Griffin Alkyd' Fast drying oil colours. Principle colours here are 'Olive Green' and 'Titanium White'.

I mixed a 2cm 'squirt' of the olive green with a touch of Burnt Umber to make it a little more khaki than green. (I'm still not satisfied though, I still think it is a littlel too green).

Then taking a No.2 brush apply this in diagonal stripes across the wing surface. A bit here, a bit there with gaps in between, but covering about 60% of the surface. Then with another brush fill in beteween some of the rough 'stripes' with neat titanium white. Then again with some thins stripes of burnt umber. What you have now got is pretty yucky looking.

The magic starts when take a 1/4 in flat brush and 'stroke' it along the surface, forming the 'streaks'. The white will blend in with the green giving a pale green, the burnt umber will give dark bits etc.

Keep wipng the flat brush on a piece of kitchen paper, as it will build up with paint.

Thats about as much as I can explain in words. I've tried all sorts of ways but reckon this has evolved into a reasonable method. I tried it out on my 2 Eduard Dual Combo DR.1's first before working up the courage to do this big'un.

It isn't too hard to do, but I would recommend practicing on some scrap first. Several times I wiped it away and started again on this model, before I got into my stride. Thats where the layer of kleer over the Catachan green came in handy!

This was the first major 'colour' the rest followed after, the dark green for the upper fuselage coaming, the pale blue etc.

If I get time at the weekend I'll do a few photos with a scrap wing - a picture speaks a thousand words!

• Like 1

Here are the 2 'test piece' 1/48 Eduard DR.1s that were my first attempts.

DR1_1.jpg

DR1_2.jpg

The black & white checked Herman Fromherz one I used a touch more burnt umber in the Olive green mix. I think it gives a better shade.

The Yellow anchor' Rudolf Klimke machine is a tad greener than I would have liked, but hey, that why I bulid these things, to try out ideas and learn!

Hope it helps others to have a go,

Cheers,

• Like 1

Guys,

Further to my written explanation, here are a couple of pictures which make it much clearer how simple this is to do.

I reccomend the Griffin Alkyd paints as they dry in about 4 hours, and certainly overnight, unlike traditional oils that can take up to a week.

The biggest brush, the flat 1/4 inch one is the one to use the blend everything.

streak1.jpg

After blending it all, add some more titanium white & burnt umber streaks, and go over it again with the flattie. It will then look like this;

streak2.jpg

Its really easy, this took only a couple of minutes. Youll need to secure the workpiece with blu tack to a dowel or something, as obviously you can't touch it.

Good luck, post any trials you do!

John

• Like 2