1:144 Revel Virgin A340-300

tom271282

Hello,

I am building a Revel 1:144 Airbus A340-300 in Virgin Atlantic colours.

Usually, I build military jets but fancied a change. I've a couple of questions:

1. Is it usual to fill the side widows and paint over the cockpit windows, then use the decals over the top once its painted?

2. What is a good colour for the undercarriage? The instructions go for aluminium, but I am struggling to find photos of close-ups of landing gear on a340's.

3. Are the wheel bays light grey?

Thanks for your help will probably have a few more questions as the build progresses.

Edited by tom271282

cabin decals are usually ok to use

cockpit window decals can be tricky to apply

go ahead and fill and sand the windows, inlcuding the cockpit - you could glue the clear piece in then fill the gaps if any and sand smooth

but even if there arent any gaps, sand it smooth anyway

have a look at pics on airliners.net to check how the cockpit windows should look...

I havent found a cockpit window decal that fits right yet, so you might need to carefully cut the decal in half down the centre post and then position

the two pieces on the model.

Or...you could just use the clear cockpit piece if it fits snugly enough and not get stressed over cockpit wiondow decals...

mask the actual window parts with micromask and spray away - then peel off the micromask and its done :):)

Well after lots of filling, sanding, priming and filling, I got the windows filled in:

DSC00090.jpg

DSC00092.jpg

Currently working on the small, rather fiddly undercarriage (i am used to 1/48 scale!), getting the wings sewn up, then when all thats done, get the cabin together... more sanding and filling I reckon!

I normally leave the windows showing slightly when filled and painted so it helps me get the decal on in the righ place and straight!

this assumes the kit windows are in the right place - some hidden banana skins here....afaik the windows in rv airbuses are in the right place

but as an example, the revell 737-800 cabin windows are too low so if you left them showing and put decals over them then your decals are

in the wrong place as well....

check photo refs for the aircraft you are doing - some windows are often blanked off and this can vary from aircraft to aircraft even the same type

used by the same airline...usually becasue it can depend on who the aircraft is leased from and for how long...

oh and by the way - the forward cabin entry doors on the rv A340 arent right either so fill the trenches....

A little more progress today on the a330.

Have got the wings together. They need to be primed now.

Sprayed all the aluminium parts for the undercarriage with Alclad 2. Never used this before but it went on a treat so will definitely be using it again.

Heres a few photos of the undercarriage. Note the large nose weight (25gr). Dont want this to be a tail sitter!

DSC00095.jpg

DSC00096.jpg

Thanks Micha. Thats a really nice example of an a340. Did you do the insides of the engines all in aluminium? Otherwise, its very tricky to achieve a nice neat ring of aluminium on the leading edge of the engine intakes....

Before, with all the stuff including the nose weight in place... (Ive deliberately not painted the cockpit as i intend to use decals for the cockpit windows)

DSC00097.jpg

And after... the fit is nice and snug, so minimal filling and sanding to get a seamless join all around. Must remember to block in the gap at the rear for the APU exhaust, otherwise you'll be able to see right inside.

DSC00098.jpg

Thanks Micha. Thats a really nice example of an a340. Did you do the insides of the engines all in aluminium? Otherwise, its very tricky to achieve a nice neat ring of aluminium on the leading edge of the engine intakes....

no ... it's Revell Eisen (91) inside ... the ring is Revell Silber (90)

no ... it's Revell Eisen (91) inside ... the ring is Revell Silber (90)

In that case... how did you mask off inside the engine to get the silver ring on the leading edge of the intake?

Edited by tom271282

In that case... how did you mask off inside the engine to get the silver ring on the leading edge of the intake?

I turned the engines around the brush instead of the brush around the engines.

Ah, interesting technique Micha.

Last update of the night for me. Got the whole thing primed in Halfords grey primer.Coats nice and smooth, and highlights all the problems with the joins. Most notably at the rear of the flap actuators, the underside and some of the main seam lines. Will work on this tomorrow. Also will probably have to repaint the undercarriage that I attempted to mask. Oh well, shouldnt be too hard a job.

I think it looks like a USAF jet in this colour grey!

DSC00101.jpg

DSC00100.jpg

DSC00099.jpg

Hello. I've got the wings on, looks like a bit more sanding and filling to get a good join there. The body of the aircraft is together and the front windows are filled and sanded smooth. The undercarriage is painted in a very nice aluminium colour courtesy of Alclad2. Hopefully will get some colour on this later in the week.

DSC00102-1.jpg

DSC00103-1.jpg

DSC00104-1.jpg

DSC00105.jpg

DSC00107-1.jpg

DSC00108.jpg

DSC00110.jpg

DSC00111.jpg

Well the time has come to get some paint on at last.

Here she is all primed and ready:

DSC00113.jpg

Gonna have to use the big cup for this one I think...

DSC00112.jpg

And here she is with some colour on. Its Xtracolour X359 Airbus Industry Grey, thinned quite a lot and sprayed at about 15-20psi. Coats OK, but will definitely need a couple more coats to build up a decent finish.

DSC00117.jpg

DSC00116.jpg

DSC00115.jpg

DSC00118.jpg

Thanks for looking will have more done this afternoon I hope!

Hmm... bit of a bummer. Too much dust on the underside of the wings, means I will have to rub them down lightly with 1500 grit wet n dry and re-spray. Just as well I usually order too much paint! More piccies this week when I hope to get the whole thing painted... time permitting!

its looking nice. how are you finding building a bus?

Its completely different I think.

Seems to be far quicker to get to the painting stage, whereas with Jets I would be fiddling about with the cockpit for ages.

I actually quite like it! :speak_cool:

Worked on the corroguard today. Tamiya XF-53 Neutral Grey gives a pleasing effect. Spot the (deliberate) mistake!

DSC00137.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

Doh... bad masking... note to self... take more time!!

DSC00136.jpg

So, remask.Then a little sand down with Halfords 1500 grit paper to remove the paint ridge, and back into the paint shop.

DSC00138.jpg

Hope and pray. Remove the masking... yes. Happier with that. Now onto the alu leading edges.

DSC00139.jpg

Worked on the corroguard today. Tamiya XF-53 Neutral Grey gives a pleasing effect.

Tamiya neutral grey....does this come in a spray can?

Not tried this so I might take a look at it...I was wondering if it's metallic enough for coro...

looks good in your pics tho'

(nice recovery btw :))

Hi Tom,

Shes coming along nicely :yahoo: What is the general fit of the kit like? I have experience of Revells Airbus's and they are normally a complete git. I have a 340 to build and as its like Micha's (the Austrian Orchestral thingy) I really dont wanna bugger it up!!!

ATB

Bexy

Tamiya neutral grey....does this come in a spray can?

Not tried this so I might take a look at it...I was wondering if it's metallic enough for coro...

looks good in your pics tho'

(nice recovery btw :))

I'm not sure if it comes in a spray can. I much prefer to mix/thin my own paints and spray as required because it gives me more control over flow etc. I applied the TLAR (that looks about right) principle to the corro. It may well have a metallic element to it. I suppose it would be possible to add a bit of gun metal to it or something similar to give it some 'metal' effect. Glad you like the look of it though :rolleyes:

Hi Tom,

Shes coming along nicely :yahoo: What is the general fit of the kit like? I have experience of Revells Airbus's and they are normally a complete git. I have a 340 to build and as its like Micha's (the Austrian Orchestral thingy) I really dont wanna bugger it up!!!

ATB

Bexy

Thanks Bexy. It is the Austrian Orchestra kit and I have found the fit to be OK. Have recently become a bit of a seam line Nazi, and seem to spend increasing hours sanding and filling any kit I make nowadays! I thought it especially important on a kit like this where to me the finish is all important. To have any visible seam lines would spoil it. But generally it goes together without too much hassle.