Italeri Avenger

SUNDON

I have a boxing of the Italeri /Accurate Miniatures TBF/BM 1 Avenger which I am considering building as a FAA Tarpon Mk.I.

DSC00071.jpg

My problem is that I have been unable to find any infomation or mainly pictures regaurding its conversion for British use. I have only been able to find one drawing showing a side plan which shows the position of the Observers seat but no info or photos. Any help or info would help with my decision to build the FAA version or weather to just build another us version.

Thanks

Martin

I have a boxing of the Italeri /Accurate Miniatures TBF/BM 1 Avenger which I am considering building as a FAA Tarpon Mk.I.

My problem is that I have been unable to find any infomation or mainly pictures regaurding its conversion for British use. I have only been able to find one drawing showing a side plan which shows the position of the Observers seat but no info or photos. Any help or info would help with my decision to build the FAA version or weather to just build another us version.

Thanks

Martin

Martin

interesting question, this thread here, http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29725

has some relevant information, specifically about FFA designations, as that Avenger I and II is based on manufacturer(Grumman or Eastern) , not US model! and colours depending on which plant built them, inside and out...

here is a build of the Trumpeter 1/32, http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/allies/.../cleavertbf.htm

made as an FAA avenger, with some idea on what needs doing, as well as providing some useful background info.

HTH

T

Edited by Troy Smith

Martin

interesting question, this thread here, http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29725

has some relevant information, specifically about FFA designations, as that Avenger I and II is based on manufacturer(Grumman or Eastern) , not US model! and colours depending on which plant built them, inside and out...

here is a build of the Trumpeter 1/32, http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/allies/.../cleavertbf.htm

made as an FAA avenger, with some idea on what needs doing, as well as providing some useful background info.

HTH

T

Actually, they are based on the US model as with all USN planes of the period the designation varied based on manufacturer, not the designer. Grumman-built Avengers were TBF's and Eastern were TBM's. Avenger Mk 1's were TBF-1's, Avenger Mk II's were a mix of TBM-1 and TBM-1C, MK III's were TBM-3's.

Actually, they are based on the US model as with all USN planes of the period the designation varied based on manufacturer, not the designer. Grumman-built Avengers were TBF's and Eastern were TBM's. Avenger Mk 1's were TBF-1's, Avenger Mk II's were a mix of TBM-1 and TBM-1C, MK III's were TBM-3's.

Hi Adam

Bruce Archer posted this in one of the links above

TBF-1B is the export version of the -1, single gun in cowl

TBF-1C last Grumman production version, single gun in each wing

TBM-1 is the first production version by Eastern ( there was no TBM-1B), single gun in cowl

TBM-1C is the second production version by Eastern, single gun in each wing

TBM-3 was ONLY produced by Eastern, single gun in each wing

the point here being that the Avenger II could be a TBM-1, single gun in cowl, or TBM-1C , single gun in each wing. Without the serials or a good pic it's hard to know which one.

The Italeri kit (rebox of Accurate Minatures) is a TBF/TBM-1 is a -1C but with the full load of armament options. (I think one of my Italeri kits has two types of cowl though so can do a TBM3, though that's not here to check)

cheers

T

Right Gents....

I have checked the Italeri Avenger sprues against the Accurate Miniatures TBF-1C (I have not got an AM TBM-3 kit.. :( )

All the main sprues....wings, body etc are the same ...

the Italeri version does not have a "Depth Charge" sprue......AM does...

the AM version does not have a "Torpedo" sprue or a the "Radar wing pod for TBM-1 D " sprue.....Italeri does..

Both have a pair of "bulged round windows" to make a FAA version ....but that is all there is or mentioned to do with FAA (apart from decals in the Italeri version)..

Hope this helps ...

PS ...only 1 type of cowl .....re..both kits ..

Regards Trevor..... :D

Edited by sunshine coast

Right Gents....

I have checked the Italeri Avenger sprues against the Accurate Miniatures TBF-1C (I have not got an AM TBM-3 kit.. :( )

All the main sprues....wings, body etc are the same ...

the Italeri version does not have a "Depth Charge" sprue......AM does...

the AM version does not have a "Torpedo" sprue or a the "Radar wing pod for TBM-1 D " sprue.....Italeri does..

Both have a pair of "bulged round windows" to make a FAA version ....but that is all there is or mentioned to do with FAA (apart from decals in the Italeri version)..

Hope this helps ...

PS ...only 1 type of cowl .....re..both kits ..

Regards Trevor..... :D

Hi

I have two Italeri kits, I got to check the other one today briefly, this one has two types of cowl (one in separate bag, this is the TBM3 cowl i think) but does no appear to have the depth charges ( sprue 'C', ? )

while the other kit has sprue 'C' but only one cowl.

Given that the AM kit came in several variants, and the Italeri kit just got the bagged the sprues i think there may be the odd variation possible. But these kits were secondhand though.

HTH

T

Hi

I have two Italeri kits, I got to check the other one today briefly, this one has two types of cowl (one in separate bag, this is the TBM3 cowl i think) but does no appear to have the depth charges ( sprue 'C', ? )

while the other kit has sprue 'C' but only one cowl.

Given that the AM kit came in several variants, and the Italeri kit just got the bagged the sprues i think there may be the odd variation possible. But these kits were secondhand though.

HTH

T

Surprised there are variations. My Italeri kit (2644) has only one cowling front but includes torpedo, depth-charges and radar pod. My reading was that AM had issued their kits in a number of boxings with sprues tailored to match whereas Italeri did one boxing and dumped the whole lot in

Edited by Seahawk

I saw this via Missing Lynx when I was looking for something else:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8270787@N07/4826066317/

I know nowt about Avenger/Tarpons but for all three aircraft there seems to be an absence of Observer unless he lurks deep in the bowels of the fuselage.

Was they hidden away or are they all AWOL?

Oh, and these have the nose gun.

Apart from that, this sequence of photos (mentioned elsewhere on these boards with reference to a Proctor) is well worth a wander through for all manner of aircraft and vehicles.

John

Thanks everybody for your comments and help. I made a start on my Tarpon last night after finding some pictures showing some of the detail in the observer station so I'm just going to wing it a bit. I will add some pictures when I start my work in progress.

Thanks again.

Martin

Thanks everybody for your comments and help. I made a start on my Tarpon last night after finding some pictures showing some of the detail in the observer station so I'm just going to wing it a bit. I will add some pictures when I start my work in progress.

Thanks again.

Martin

Could you provide a pointer to where you found the pics of the observer station? I've looked everywhere for some and I know Tony O'Toole also had probs when he did his FAA Avengers for "Model Aircraft Monthly". Thanks in advance.

This may be a bit easier.

Avengerrearcockpit.jpg

Martin

Many thanks. It is much easier: I was having trouble getting past the improbably endowed Russian ladies.

That's a page from an excellent Czech book I have somewhere. However there's a bit more to it than the sketch shows. At least a chart table and radar scope have to fit in there somewhere but I've never found any pics showing them. I think Tony O'Toole found a quick glimpse on a video of WW2 film footage he had but that's it.

There are photographs of the TBF-1 interior in the D&S book on the Avenger. I've yet to see anything detailing the specifics of equipment in the FAA aircraft though.

For the record, KMC produced a conversion set for the TBF-1 when it was first released.

Cheers,

Bill.

There are photographs of the TBF-1 interior in the D&S book on the Avenger. I've yet to see anything detailing the specifics of equipment in the FAA aircraft though.

For the record, KMC produced a conversion set for the TBF-1 when it was first released.

Cheers,

Bill.

Hi to all. Unfortunately, the 'Holy Grail' of clear photos showing the FAA Tarpon/Avenger's observers cockpit area are still AWOL! :weep:

The same goes for the same area of the Firefly Mk.1 and the early Barracuda. Not that many of those about either!!!!!

Here are a few pics of the old KMC TBF-1 conversion kit which are now under the True Details label (Squadron) and one from the Detail And Scale book showing the TBF-1 second cockpit area.

tbfloor1.jpg

tbfloor2.jpg

tbfset.jpg

tbfsetinst.jpg

tbf-1rear_seat.jpg

Somewhere in my files I have another photo of the TBF-1 with the seat missing. I'll post it if I come across it.

Hope these help to show the basic fittings and structures, but unfortunately, not the FAA fittings and radio/radar fit.

I'm planning to use copies of those from the SH Barracuda and the Grand Phoenix Firefly Mk.1 to detail my FAA beast - at this time, no-one can say 'That's completely wrong'!!!!!

Cheers,

Pete M. :drink:

Hi to all. Unfortunately, the 'Holy Grail' of clear photos showing the FAA Tarpon/Avenger's observers cockpit area are still AWOL! :weep:

The same goes for the same area of the Firefly Mk.1 and the early Barracuda. Not that many of those about either!!!!!

Here are a few pics of the old KMC TBF-1 conversion kit which are now under the True Details label (Squadron) and one from the Detail And Scale book showing the TBF-1 second cockpit area.

tbfloor1.jpg

tbfloor2.jpg

tbfset.jpg

tbfsetinst.jpg

tbf-1rear_seat.jpg

Somewhere in my files I have another photo of the TBF-1 with the seat missing. I'll post it if I come across it.

Hope these help to show the basic fittings and structures, but unfortunately, not the FAA fittings and radio/radar fit.

I'm planning to use copies of those from the SH Barracuda and the Grand Phoenix Firefly Mk.1 to detail my FAA beast - at this time, no-one can say 'That's completely wrong'!!!!!

Cheers,

Pete M. :drink:

Wow thanks Pete .

This is where I'm at sofar Link not to bad but the oxygen bottles are a little out of position but I might leave them were they are as you can't see much of them when the fuselage halves are closed up.

Again thanks Pete.

Martin

Just a quick note.

Avenger/Tarpon 1's with serial JZ100-300 were TBF-1C's. In other words, they had wing guns. You still have to do the observer seat, though.

This according to J. Baugher

http://www.joebaugher.com/navy_serials/thirdseries5.html

Kyrre

Edited by Kyrre