Best acrylic Barley grey?

PaulR

Hi all,

am currently building an awful lot of RAF fast jets, so Barley (or light camouflage grey) grey is featuring alot. However, am still struggling to find an out of the tin barley grey that matches my mind's eye, if you know what I mean. The closest I have ever had was a tin of enamel Humbrol Barley grey (167), but subsequent tins were darker. I've looked at Xtracrylix Barley grey - way too dark, in common with alot of Xtracrylix colours - Vallejo Barley grey, which sprays beautifully but seems to be a little too blue, and Tamiya x-19 which I like but may be too light. In any case, what is the considered opinion of Britmodellers out there? What is the preferred acrylic option?

Would be grateful for any comments.

Regards, Paul

Hi Adam,

cheers for the response. Could you tell me where to source Mr Colour in the UK? Also, when you say scale colour, do you mean that it is slightly lighter than the 'raw' colour?

Many thanks!

Paul

Model Design Construction are the UK stockists, they are at many shows around the UK, or you can mail order i believe? Better range of colours than Tamiya too!

Indeed it is lighter than the raw, which is bang on the money in my humble opinion!

You wouldn't paint a plane using the same paint as the real thing as it would look sooo wrong!

Happy to help

Adam

Hi all,

am currently building an awful lot of RAF fast jets, so Barley (or light camouflage grey) grey is featuring alot. However, am still struggling to find an out of the tin barley grey that matches my mind's eye, if you know what I mean. The closest I have ever had was a tin of enamel Humbrol Barley grey (167), but subsequent tins were darker. I've looked at Xtracrylix Barley grey - way too dark, in common with alot of Xtracrylix colours - Vallejo Barley grey, which sprays beautifully but seems to be a little too blue, and Tamiya x-19 which I like but may be too light. In any case, what is the considered opinion of Britmodellers out there? What is the preferred acrylic option?

Regards, Paul

Hi PaulR

Not a fast pointy one :) but a C-130 painted in Humbrol 167 Satin RAF Barley Grey, then finished with a coat of Humbrol matt varnish. Photographed outside in the sun.

DSCF1256.jpg

Hi all,

Regards, Paul

Barley grey was renamed Camoflage grey when it was included in British Standards (BS 381c No 626) Try Xtracolour or Xtracrilyx.

Selwyn

Hi all,

I've looked at Xtracrylix Barley grey - way too dark, in common with alot of Xtracrylix colours - Would be grateful for any comments.

Regards, Paul

Xtracylic's Barley/Camo Grey is okay.....their Medium Sea Grey IS too dark though!!

I've used it on this (still unfinished!!) FGR2

IMG_3131.jpg

If you're not convinced, trey Humbrol's new Acrylic's. I'll be experimenting with those soon, but initial inspection has me thinking there'snot an awful lot of difference between their MSG and Barley Greys!