RAF Typhoon Colours

mideast-mover

Right, I think I may be about to pull the pin out of a proverbial hand grenade...so apologies if this re-ignites the arguement! :popcorn:

I’m trying to find the up-to-date colours of an RAF Eurofighter Typhoon. I’ve been searching on here plenty (I have several pages bookmarked, including the mass of pictures from the Resource thread) as well as Google and other forums, and I cannot find a definitive answer.

As a result, I’ve got a list of several paints that people seem to think are the correct ones, and have downloaded the Paint Conversion Chart recommended by Julien in the Paints section of the Tools and Tips Forum. Here is what I have, and was wondering if people could confirm this for me, correct me where I am wrong, and also add what I’ve missed?

Opinions are also welcome :)

Fuselage Colour:

FS595b 25237 (BS381c 626) RAF Camouflage (Barley) Grey

Vallejo Model Colour #990 Light Grey/Model Air #51 Barley Grey

Revell Aqua #36374 Grey (RAL7001)

FS595b 36314 RAF Camouflage (Barley) Grey

Humbrol #167 RAF Barley Grey

Tamiya XF19 Sky Grey

Cockpit Colours:

FS595b 36081 Deep Gray, F-4 Aircraft/Euro I Gray

Vallejo Model Colour #866 Grey Green/Model Air #55 Grey Green

Humbrol #32 Dark Grey

FS595b 36231 Gray Int’l, Aircraft Gray/Dark Gull Gray

Vallejo Model Colour #991 Dark Sea Grey/Vallejo Model Colour #992 Neutral Grey

Humbrol #140 Dark Gull Grey/Humbrol #27 Sea Grey

Tamiya XF54 Dark Sea Grey

Landing Gear and Wheel Wells:

FS595b 36495 Light Gray – Vallejo Model Colour #153 *edit: actually #907. Whoopsy*

Vallejo Model Colour #153 Pale Grey Blue

Humbrol #147 Light Grey

Tamiya XF14 Grey (IJA)

Radome and Air Intakes:

FS595b 36270 (BS381c 637) RAF Medium Sea Grey

Vallejo Model Colour #870 Medium Sea Grey

Humbrol #126 US Medium Grey

Tamiya XF20 Medium Grey/XF83 RAF Medium Sea Grey

Not sure about these two, and besides, I can’t find a direct equivalent in Vallejo/Humbrol/Tamiya etc...

Leading and Trailing Edge Interiors:

FS595b 63280

Air Intakes Aft of Intake Flap:

FS595b 26492

That’s all I’ve found so far...

Edited by mideast-mover
  • Like 2

Medium Sea Grey is too dark for the radome.

I took a new pot of Barley Grey (Gunze Sangyo paint) and added no more than 2-3 drops of Dark Earth and gave the pot a good shake.

Looks absolutely spot on to me.

Landing gear and gear wells are Light Aircraft Grey.

Edited by falcon

...the radome.

I took a new pot of Barley Grey (Gunze Sangyo paint) and added no more than 2-3 drops of Dark Earth and gave the pot a good shake.

Landing gear and gear wells are Light Aircraft Grey.

The Dark Earth thing sounds like a smart idea!!

Light Aircraft Grey - what brand is that? I don't suppose you have a paint number to hand (as used by the brand) :worthy:

The Dark Earth thing sounds like a smart idea!!

Light Aircraft Grey - what brand is that? I don't suppose you have a paint number to hand (as used by the brand) :worthy:

I tend to use Gunze Sangyo paints for most of my modelling. Goes on a treat through the airbrush and leaves a great finish.

Right, I think I may be about to pull the pin out of a proverbial hand grenade...so apologies if this re-ignites the arguement! :popcorn:

I’m trying to find the up-to-date colours of an RAF Eurofighter Typhoon. I’ve been searching on here plenty (I have several pages bookmarked, including the mass of pictures from the Resource thread) as well as Google and other forums, and I cannot find a definitive answer.

As a result, I’ve got a list of several paints that people seem to think are the correct ones, and have downloaded the Paint Conversion Chart recommended by Julien in the Paints section of the Tools and Tips Forum. Here is what I have, and was wondering if people could confirm this for me, correct me where I am wrong, and also add what I’ve missed?

Fuselage Colour:

Tamiya XF19 Sky Grey

Cockpit Colours:

Humbrol #32 Dark Grey

FS595b 36495 Light Gray – Vallejo Model Colour #153 *edit: actually #907. Whoopsy*

Humbrol #147 Light Grey

Tamiya XF14 Grey (IJA)

Radome and Air Intakes:

Not sure about these two, and besides, I can’t find a direct equivalent in Vallejo/Humbrol/Tamiya etc...

FS595b 63280

FS595b 26492

Easy

Remove all FS colour Quotes. The RAF does not use Federal standard paints on its aircraft. all paint is to British Standard 381C. all the popular paints you quote are (very) approximate matches to the correct colour.

Only development aircraft have different grey colours inside flaps etc. operational RAF aircraft are one shade of grey (called officially Camoflage Grey BS 381c hue 626) overall that includes inside flaps etc. The radome looks slightly different as it is moulded at manufacture in grey BS 626 and not painted.

Barley grey was a trial colour. when it was adopted officially into Bs 381c it was renamed Camoflage grey.

Now that makes it easier doesn't it!

Selwyn

• Like 5

Yes, I suppose it does make it easier! However I could only find FS numbers, and the few BS numbers I found I included.

The other trouble is that one colour name of one brand is a different colour to the same colour name as another brand! Which makes it NOT so easy.

I know that inside the intakes and in the "wheel wells" it's a different colour, but as for the rest, I'm just going off what I have found. If you could provide any more information that'd be great, eg paint numbers in "BS" codes, so I can correct my notes.

mideast-mover

Try this for BS standard colours. Doesn't help with what commercial model paint matches the correct colour but does give you some idea to go on.

Also try IPMS Stockholm who have a great set of comparison charts although they are in need of an update with some of the new paint providers.

Barley grey, like hemp, were the official colour names when they were introduced into the RAF. Urban legend has it that Barley grey was named after a Mr Barley who produced the colour. It was only renamed camouflage grey a few years ago; at the same time hemp became camouflage beige.

• Like 1

As Selwyn has said, the aircraft is painted in a British Standard camouflage grey, so no FS number for that. Same goes for the radome and other unpainted areas. These are coated in manufacture and are camouflage grey for all nations, however they quickly weather and often appear darker than the rest of the jet in RAF service. I add a few drops of medium sea grey to the camouflage grey to get the correct shade.

The air intakes are not the same colour as the radomes, they are a very very light grey, almost white.

The FS numbers for the cockpit are correct.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi All,

A saga first. I had just completed Revell's Lancaster Bomber and Arado Float Plane. For the Lancaster I use my normal Humbrol enamels, Colour selection helped by having a colour paint guide provided by Airfix for their Lancaster. The Arado, being WWII, specified RLM colours, which I was able to get from the Model Master range. I then decided to build something modern, Revell's 1:32 scale Twin Seater Eurofighter Typhoon, as I was very impressed with their kit quality. Finally receiving the kit, here in Canada, at the latter end of 2013, I made a list of all the Revell paints and order them, in their Enamel range, from a supplier in U.K., to be sent to a friend in U.K., as they would not ship them direct. They arrived, courtesy of the Royal Mail, but when he tried to send them to me, the Post Office refused, on the basis they were Dangerous Cargo. 14ml tins of model paint!!!! That supplier wouldn't even ship Revell's Aqua range to Canada, but I found another supplier who would, so sometime later I had all the Revell colours in their Acrylic Aqua range. Never having used Acrylic before, I was apprehensive when I read about the problems of using them in an airbrush, especially as I was unable to get Revell's Acrylic Thinner for airbrushes. After using some of them, I was very unimpressed with the coverage, especially for colours such as satin white, taking up to 5 coats, which meant detail was being lost. Some colours, such as their Steel or Silver covered in one coat!!

I also hate their model colour instructions which often want you to mix 2 or 3 paints in various proportions. Revell told me I should mix full pots!!!, which is stupid when you are only painting a small item. I thought, bugger this, so using Photoshop I made up a colour chart with colours mixed in the appropriate percentages and then tried to match the resultant colours to ones available here in Canada. Couldn't exact matches so I thought let's search the web for RAF Typhoon colours, and I ended up here.

Thanks to the message that told me the colour was Bs381c hue 626, I was able to copy an example, from the BS web site, into Photoshop and compare it with the Humbrol chart I already had in Photoshop. I found that Humbrol's Satin 127 US Ghost Grey was virtually an exact match to the BS381C Hue 626. I do realise this match is dependent on the accuracy of the colours I downloaded from the web, but I am satisfied that it is close enough for me to go ahead.

Went into my local model shop, to get the Humbrol enamel, and had a chat with the staff about the difference between using Enamels and using Acrylics. They told me you can work the enamels, which I was used to doing, but if you try that with acrylics, effectively you are pulling a rake across the paint and it is very difficult to get a smooth finish when using a brush.

I liked the easy clean-up with the acrylic, the lack of smell and vapour, and the quick drying/recoat time, but dislike not getting a good finish. So I shall go back to Humbrol, that I've used for the last 60 years.

Though I like the Revell quality, I think I'll go back to Airfix, as they specify Humbrol colours, being the same company. Also, decided to go back to WWII planes, so next model, 1:32 Spitfire, to join my Airfix Lockheed Hudson & Short Sunderland.

Or find another manufacturer that also specifies Humbrol or Model Master colours.

Cheers,

Ed

Edited by Fleetchief

Right, I think I may be about to pull the pin out of a proverbial hand grenade...so apologies if this re-ignites the arguement! popcorn.gif

Im trying to find the up-to-date colours of an RAF Eurofighter Typhoon. Ive been searching on here plenty (I have several pages bookmarked, including the mass of pictures from the Resource thread) as well as Google and other forums, and I cannot find a definitive answer.

As a result, Ive got a list of several paints that people seem to think are the correct ones, and have downloaded the Paint Conversion Chart recommended by Julien in the Paints section of the Tools and Tips Forum. Here is what I have, and was wondering if people could confirm this for me, correct me where I am wrong, and also add what Ive missed?

Opinions are also welcome smile.png

Fuselage Colour:

Tamiya XF19 Sky Grey

Cockpit Colours:

Humbrol #32 Dark Grey

FS595b 36231 Gray Intl, Aircraft Gray/Dark Gull Gray

FS595b 36495 Light Gray Vallejo Model Colour #153 *edit: actually #907. Whoopsy*

Humbrol #147 Light Grey

Tamiya XF14 Grey (IJA)

Radome and Air Intakes:

Not sure about these two, and besides, I cant find a direct equivalent in Vallejo/Humbrol/Tamiya etc...

FS595b 63280

FS595b 26492

Thats all Ive found so far...

suggest you read the pinned topic at the top of the page as this has already been discussed at length.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 1

I had read all the previous posts carefully, but nobody mentioned that Humbrol #127 was virtually the same as BS381C Hue 626 Camouflage Grey. This is based on the RGB percentages for each colour, obtained by using Photoshop. So I thought I would pass that information on.

Regards,

Ed

Edited by Fleetchief

I had read all the previous posts carefully, but nobody mentioned that Humbrol #127 was virtually the same as BS381C Hue 626 Camouflage Grey. This is based on the RGB percentages for each colour, obtained by using Photoshop. So I thought I would pass that information on.

Regards,

Ed

Humbrol produce BS.381C 626 Camouflage Grey or Barley Grey as it was originally known. It is colour 167 in their range.

• Like 1

Right, I think I may be about to pull the pin out of a proverbial hand grenade...so apologies if this re-ignites the arguement! popcorn.gif

Opinions are also welcome smile.png

Fuselage Colour:

Tamiya XF19 Sky Grey

Cockpit Colours:

Humbrol #32 Dark Grey

Humbrol #147 Light Grey

Tamiya XF14 Grey (IJA)

Radome and Air Intakes:

FS595b 63280

FS595b 26492

Using FS standards to match British paints as a bit dicey, to say the least........McDonnell Douglas and the the F4J(UK) immediately come to mind....!!!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Quoting Federal Standard numbers as matches to anything that isn't 1950s> American made seems to be one of the most effective ways to spread misinformation about colours. For people who genuinely don't care, why bother researching? For those who do care and go to the effort, it's sad that despite their desire to get it right their models are still being painted with very dodgy matches to whatever happens to be closest (but often still very obviously different) in FS595.

• Like 3

On 17/02/2011 at 11:13 PM, mideast-mover said:

Fuselage Colour:

Tamiya XF19 Sky Grey

Cockpit Colours:

Humbrol #32 Dark Grey

Humbrol #147 Light Grey

Tamiya XF14 Grey (IJA)

Radome and Air Intakes:

FS595b 63280

FS595b 26492

Blimey, your stash has grown by two while you were writing that.......................

On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 5:02 PM, Slater said:

I suspect many of us will use the old "that looks about right" method :D

TLAR users themselves are in two camps. There are those like Dana Bell who have a lot of knowledge of colours used and are happy with a colour that looks about right, and there are those in the Percy from Blackadder 2 camp:

"So something you've never seen is exaclty the same colour as something else you've never seen"

On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 10:13 AM, antesyd said:

Not the newest of posts, but can someone update it? Typhoon colous from the "new" players like MIG, AK interactive, Vallejo air, Hataka etc. 

I think Hataka got a RAF set.

//André 

Colourcoats:

Radome ACRN04 - Medium Sea Grey

Fuselage ACRN08 - Barley Grey

We don't sell FS colours mislabeled as British colours - our British colours are actual matches to British standards.

If anyone has genuine (not FS guesstimations) references for the rest I'll update.

Hi Stu,

Do you recall where the cockpit info came from? I ask because with various British Standards and RAL being widely available here, it seems surprising that an all-European consortium wouls resort to American colours for what are very unremarkable shades that could easily have been picked from something local such as Dark Admiralty Grey etc.

The Luftwaffe use some FS colours on their modern camouflage so it's not impossible I suppose, but still very unusual for a British aircraft. On a US built F35 I wouldn't question it but on a Typhoon it seems unintuitive. 😕

I have a pal who's a Typhoon pilot. I could probably arrange for a colour match but there must be something official out there.