Black Hawks with white wing tips

Shaun

A few Hawks did have white wing roots back in the 1990's. Looking though my slides I have found a photo of XX346 in FRADU markings 1996 -98.

The photos are side views (port and starboard) not plan view. The white extends from the wing root part way onto the fuselage. Let me know if that would be any use and I will dig the scanner out.

Pete

A few Hawks did have white wing roots back in the 1990's. Looking though my slides I have found a photo of XX346 in FRADU markings 1996 -98.

The photos are side views (port and starboard) not plan view. The white extends from the wing root part way onto the fuselage. Let me know if that would be any use and I will dig the scanner out.

Pete

pete id like to see them mate

I've just scanned these slides straight from their box, I haven't cleaned them up or anything so excuse any specks / scratches.

XX346, FRADU, RNAS Culdrose July 1997:

600XX346Culdrose26jul97.jpg

XX205, FRADU, RNAS Culdrose, Feb 1996:

600XX20523feb96.jpg

XX188, 74 Sqn, Fairford, July 1997:

600XX188Faiford1997.jpg

Can anyone provide any photo's of Black Hawks with the white wing tips, I'm sure the wing roots had a white stripe as well but the Xtradecal sheet only shows the wings tips?

Shaun.

Decals for two FRADU machines (in 1/72nd scale) appeared on a ModelArt decal sheet a few years ago...

This is a quick scan of one of my prints from Fairford 1997 showing Hawk T.1 XX178/PQ with the white stripes. This was one of the flying display aircraft on the north side of the base and was taken from the photobus.

hawkwhite.jpg

• 10 months later...

the reason behind the white stripes & upper surface wing tips was so other pilots working with Hawks during training missions could tell if the hawk was turning towards or away from their aircraft, the white just tended to disappear against any clouds so the hawk couldn't be seen as expected, the white areas were soon painted gloss black to match the rest of the aircraft & doing that made seeing them a lot better.