• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shaun

Shaun

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:57 PM

Can anyone provide any photo's of Black Hawks with the white wing tips, I'm sure the wing roots had a white stripe as well but the Xtradecal sheet only shows the wings tips?

Shaun.

#2 Evalman

Evalman

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:39 PM

A few Hawks did have white wing roots back in the 1990's. Looking though my slides I have found a photo of XX346 in FRADU markings 1996 -98.
The photos are side views (port and starboard) not plan view. The white extends from the wing root part way onto the fuselage. Let me know if that would be any use and I will dig the scanner out.

Pete

#3 Mark M

Mark M

www.mainlymilitary.co.uk

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:02 PM

A few Hawks did have white wing roots back in the 1990's. Looking though my slides I have found a photo of XX346 in FRADU markings 1996 -98.
The photos are side views (port and starboard) not plan view. The white extends from the wing root part way onto the fuselage. Let me know if that would be any use and I will dig the scanner out.

Pete

pete id like to see them mate

#4 Evalman

Evalman

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:34 PM

I've just scanned these slides straight from their box, I haven't cleaned them up or anything so excuse any specks / scratches.

XX346, FRADU, RNAS Culdrose July 1997:
Posted Image

XX205, FRADU, RNAS Culdrose, Feb 1996:
Posted Image

XX188, 74 Sqn, Fairford, July 1997:
Posted Image

#5 Mark M

Mark M

www.mainlymilitary.co.uk

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:41 PM

thanks mate

#6 Bill Clark

Bill Clark

Completely Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

Can anyone provide any photo's of Black Hawks with the white wing tips, I'm sure the wing roots had a white stripe as well but the Xtradecal sheet only shows the wings tips?

Shaun.

Decals for two FRADU machines (in 1/72nd scale) appeared on a ModelArt decal sheet a few years ago...

#7 rod mcq

rod mcq

Established Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:37 PM

This is a quick scan of one of my prints from Fairford 1997 showing Hawk T.1 XX178/PQ with the white stripes. This was one of the flying display aircraft on the north side of the base and was taken from the photobus.

Posted Image

#8 Hawkkeeper

Hawkkeeper

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:33 PM

the reason behind the white stripes & upper surface wing tips was so other pilots working with Hawks during training missions could tell if the hawk was turning towards or away from their aircraft, the white just tended to disappear against any clouds so the hawk couldn't be seen as expected, the white areas were soon painted gloss black to match the rest of the aircraft & doing that made seeing them a lot better.