• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Rowan Broadbent

Rowan Broadbent

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:53 AM

As our first venture into non WWI subjects, we have extended the "Pheon treatment" to the RAF between the wars with the first of a number of planned decal sets.

Starting right at the far end of the Silver Wings era with the Gloster Gladiator, these highly colourful sets cover 17 individual aircraft with squadron badges and other colourful markings printed in TEN colours on one sheet, serials (8" & 20") in the correct styles for all the subjects and a variety of stencil markings on another and four sets of national markings on the third. Full colour artwork on five A4 pages of glossy photo paper in the usual style and a detailed booklet are common to both scales and in 48th scale there will be also be a pre-printed assembly jig, to ensure correct alignment of the upper wing of the Roden kit.

Note that full squadron and serial markings are included to allow ALL of the subjects to be modelled (well 16 - option 17's serials need to be made up by adding the "20"s to "K79" prefixes!):

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Suitable for the Lindberg and Roden kits in 48th scale, and the varied kits (including the excellent new one from Sword) in 72nd scale

The 48th scale set, 48021 price is £18.50 plus P&P
The 72nd scale set, 72014 price is £12.75 plus P&P

Additional 40" and 25"roundels are also available, four aircraft sets on each sheet, as 48021b for £4.00 and 72014b for £2.00, plus P&P

We expect to have these ready by the end of March. If you wish to reserve your sets in advance (the first printing is in limited quantities), please send us an email at:

pheon.models@hotmail.co.uk

We will send you a Paypal request (or bank transfer details - your choice) for payment only when the decals are ready to send out.

A new resin cowling (no more juggling three separate sections with joints in the cylider head bulges!) and some other replacement parts designed for the 1/48th Roden kits, are in preparation by Brian Fawcett now. More details soon!

Edited by Rowan Broadbent, 13 February 2011 - 02:18 AM.

#2 ollieholmes

ollieholmes

Very Obsessed Member

• Banned
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:01 PM

They look absoloutly gorgous.

#3 Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:09 PM

Fab! I am up for those, in 1/72, email sent.
Three Matchbox kits in stock, so I can't wait to get started.

Any chance of a Fury set, with the ex Matchbox kit being now freely available again?

#4 Shar2

Shar2

Wibble!

• Global Moderator
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

They look lovely, particularly as I have a couple of Roden kits in the stash. Perhaps something for the Sea Gladiator too would be nice.

#5 Rowan Broadbent

Rowan Broadbent

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for the support, chaps. I have a lot of plans for more subjects from the same era. A similarly comprehensive treatment is already in the works for the Gauntlet in both scales and something special for the much-anticipated Aeroclub Demon. For the Fury and inter war Fleet Air Arm subjects, we really need some new kits. All these plans are dependent on the reception for these sets for the Gladiator as an indication of the potential market. One slight drawback is the number of colours needed - whilst that is part of the attraction, it pushes the price up considerably, of course.

Edited by Rowan Broadbent, 13 February 2011 - 08:53 PM.

#6 Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:27 PM

Have you thought about doing maybe a couple of mixed Gladiator / Gauntlet sheets rather than a very large sheet for each? I am not sure how many people will be in a position to do a whole lineup of Gauntlets.

#7 Rowan Broadbent

Rowan Broadbent

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:51 PM

Have you thought about doing maybe a couple of mixed Gladiator / Gauntlet sheets rather than a very large sheet for each? I am not sure how many people will be in a position to do a whole lineup of Gauntlets.

The mixed sheet approach has been done before - very well, I might add- by the Aviation Workshop and they are still available from Hannants:

http://www.hannants....product/ML48156

My approach is different; as with all Pheon decals, I aim to give an in-depth treatment to each subject I choose to tackle. I know that it pushes up costs and I don't expect customers to make more than two or three from the set at most, but they will have a lot of choice. My approach is driven by what I would like to see in a decal sheet. Whilst I'd like the "business" to stand on its own feet financially (one day), I'm not driven by purely financial considerations. If you want the best selection of markings, in the best quality for a given subject, that's what I want to provide. If you don't think they're worth the money to you, you won't buy them. I have no interest in catering to the LCD or the mass market. And anyway, with the additional roundels I'm also providing ,you can re-cycle the sheets with your mates if you want.. I know it's going to happen so I'm setting out to make it easy. Ultimately, if people don't want to support what I'm doing, I'll stop, but until then I don't intend to loose sight of what I set out to do originally.

This approach has been taken up and supported by many WWI modellers out there. My gut feeling is that those who also want to build a collection of between the wars models may feel the same - if they don't, I'll go back to just doing WWI, and watch the ebay prices for the few I did do mount in the future....... At least I'll have done what I wanted to do, not follow some well-trodden path..... (and my grand-children will be RICH!!!).

#8 DougN

DougN

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:58 PM

Excellent sheet Rowan! As interwar is my favorite period, I am looking forward to seeing you produce more of these sheets in future! I can see at least 3 birds I would definately do, and possibly a couple of the others.

Your price for the variety and high-quality of your decals is quite reasonable, especially if the cost is spread over 3+ models. One would end up spending about the same buying multiple smaller decal sheets with a couple of markings each in order to get the all the desired schemes, and one has all the left over markings of your decals as a bonus :)

Does this mean we might see the 1/32 interwar Bristol F2B sheets (and a few resin bits to make the later marks from the WW kit) :)

Cheers,

Doug

Edited by DougN, 14 February 2011 - 07:12 PM.

#9 Mentalguru

Mentalguru

Very Obsessed Member

• Banned
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

"I don't do biplanes, ......but if I did.."

That is a bit tasteeeeeee Rowan- oh god- gulp I think I just

thought about doing a biplane :mellow:

#10 Rowan Broadbent

Rowan Broadbent

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:52 PM

"I don't do biplanes, ......but if I did.."

That is a bit tasteeeeeee Rowan- oh god- gulp I think I just

thought about doing a biplane :mellow:

Here, have a tissue....

You could do an awful lot worse, Mental! If you went for the 48th scale set, the jig will make fitting the Roden top wing a doddle, and the rigging on these late bipes is a comparative morceau de g‚teaux! Go on - I'll throw in a free tissue.

#11 Rowan Broadbent

Rowan Broadbent

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

Excellent sheet Rowan! As interwar is my favorite period, I am looking forward to seeing you produce more of these sheets in future! I can see at least 3 birds I would definately do, and possibly a couple of the others.

Your price for the variety and high-quality of your decals is quite reasonable, especially if the cost is spread over 3+ models. One would end up spending about the same buying multiple smaller decal sheets with a couple of markings each in order to get the all the desired schemes, and one has all the left over markings of your decals as a bonus :)

Does this mean we might see the 1/32 interwar Bristol F2B sheets (and a few resin bits to make the later marks from the WW kit) :)

Cheers,

Doug

I really, really want to do inter-war biffs and Brian Fawcett and I have discussed the various resin/etch sets needed for a "fully loaded" post war middle/far east F2b. I hope very much that it will eventually see the light of day - the Ninak will be first, however and work on that is in hand.

Here's one I want to do myself:

Posted Image

Red/brown AMADPT (I think!) dope and polished metal cowlings and brass radiator - as flown in Jordan in 1921, tasty, eh?

#12 ollieholmes

ollieholmes

Very Obsessed Member

• Banned
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

Ive always liked the silver machines with the long exhaust pipes personaly. If you did one of those id buy one no problem.

#13 Bob C.

Bob C.

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:04 AM

Rowan,
I understand your explanation (your 13 Feb email) on why you don't like/prefer not to do "mixed airplane" sheets, however... I'm sure there are others, like me, who have all those nice old Aeroclub kits -- Gamecock, Woodcock, Grebe, Demon, Hart, etc., as well as the Matchbox Siskin, and, shudder to mention them, even some Merlin kits, that are still in the stash waiting for some decent decals. Yes, there is Aviation Workshop, but they've only issued 2 RAF sheets with limited application, and they failed to respond when I emailed an inquiry as to whether they might be expanding their Between-the-Wars range. So, if you could overcome your reluctance on the concept of mixed sheets, I would think you might have a decent market for the above. Maybe something like 2 aircraft per sheet, 3-4 choices for each aircraft? And I am taking of 1/72, of course. Thanks for considering, Bob

#14 Rowan Broadbent

Rowan Broadbent

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:35 AM

Rowan,
I understand your explanation (your 13 Feb email) on why you don't like/prefer not to do "mixed airplane" sheets, however... I'm sure there are others, like me, who have all those nice old Aeroclub kits -- Gamecock, Woodcock, Grebe, Demon, Hart, etc., as well as the Matchbox Siskin, and, shudder to mention them, even some Merlin kits, that are still in the stash waiting for some decent decals. Yes, there is Aviation Workshop, but they've only issued 2 RAF sheets with limited application, and they failed to respond when I emailed an inquiry as to whether they might be expanding their Between-the-Wars range. So, if you could overcome your reluctance on the concept of mixed sheets, I would think you might have a decent market for the above. Maybe something like 2 aircraft per sheet, 3-4 choices for each aircraft? And I am taking of 1/72, of course. Thanks for considering, Bob

OK Bob, your point is noted. Let's see how things go with the Gladiators and I'll move forward from there. As this is a different market from WWI, I'm feeling my way at present. My gut feeling is to follow my own instincts and to produce what I would want to see and buy, but my costs are increasing, so I may have to re-think what I do on these.

R

#15 alex

alex

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:02 PM

Hello Rowan,
I agree on this point; for me, there is no need to buy a decal sheet with >10 different versions of the same plane (no use of most of the decals, since I build most aircraft just once). On the other hand, I dont't like either a decal sheet with 10 different planes, but only one version each (no choice within one subject). So, a mixed decal sheet with only few subjects, but a certain amount of choice would fit my needs better (just as a feedback from a potential customer ;)

Alex

#16 keefr22

keefr22

Rebel without a clue....

• Gold Member
  • 5,849 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

Hello Rowan,

That Gladiator sheet looks absolutely beautiful - but (yep, sorry another one!) I also cannot justify the sheet for the only Roden Gladiator that I have in stock. And as that is destined to be done as a shadow shaded camouflaged machine, I wouldn't be able to use even one option. :(

However, if you were able to sell the alignment jig you mentioned as a separate item you can be sure of one sale (I know its not much, but as a world dominating supermarket likes to say, 'every little helps'....!!)

All the best

Keef

#17 Rowan Broadbent

Rowan Broadbent

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:19 PM

Hello Rowan,

That Gladiator sheet looks absolutely beautiful - but (yep, sorry another one!) I also cannot justify the sheet for the only Roden Gladiator that I have in stock. And as that is destined to be done as a shadow shaded camouflaged machine, I wouldn't be able to use even one option. :(

However, if you were able to sell the alignment jig you mentioned as a separate item you can be sure of one sale (I know its not much, but as a world dominating supermarket likes to say, 'every little helps'....!!)

All the best

Keef

OK Keef and Alex, I'm listening. I may consider splitting the Gladiator sheet into two parts in 48th. Once the other sets are ready, there is no reason why I wouldn't think about picking some from each for a couple of "selection" sets. It may be that this portion of the market would prefer that approach, as well as the "concentrated" one. I have already been thinking of a multiple-type decal set for "Munich" schemes. There seems to be some interest in that era. I also have completed work on two sets for the rag-wing hurricane in 32nd scale - pre-war and Battle of France, but was waiting for the production of some resin correction and detail parts for the PCM kit from Brian Fawcett - which may still arrive at some point. They might also be of interest in 48th, as the Classic Airframes kit was quite good and features in a number of stashes - and the MDC conversion for the Hasegawa kit is good as well - if you're lucky enough to have the kit.

When I originally started pheon, the individual jigs were intended to have their own product line - the first plan was to do them in laser-cut plastic card, although the costs got a bit out of hand, so I reverted to designing them to be printed onto the self-adhesive labels and including them with some of the decal sets. So far the Dolphin, Halberstadt CLIV and Bristol Fighter sets in 48th have them, I designed the one included in Colin's Blue Max Macchi M.5 and now the Gladiator, of course.

No need for the WNW kits in 32nd, as they align beautifully anyway - although something for the Gotha might be worth doing - that top wing is a big heavy chunk of plastic.

No reason why I couldn't produce and sell them on their own, but though they would be quite cheap, the postage cost would more than double the likely retail price - if bought on their own. Let me cogitate......

Edited by Rowan Broadbent, 25 February 2011 - 11:22 PM.

#18 keefr22

keefr22

Rebel without a clue....

• Gold Member
  • 5,849 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:13 AM

OK Keef and Alex, I'm listening. I may consider splitting the Gladiator sheet into two parts in 48th. Once the other sets are ready, there is no reason why I wouldn't think about picking some from each for a couple of "selection" sets. It may be that this portion of the market would prefer that approach, as well as the "concentrated" one. I have already been thinking of a multiple-type decal set for "Munich" schemes. There seems to be some interest in that era. I also have completed work on two sets for the rag-wing hurricane in 32nd scale - pre-war and Battle of France, but was waiting for the production of some resin correction and detail parts for the PCM kit from Brian Fawcett - which may still arrive at some point. They might also be of interest in 48th, as the Classic Airframes kit was quite good and features in a number of stashes - and the MDC conversion for the Hasegawa kit is good as well - if you're lucky enough to have the kit.

When I originally started pheon, the individual jigs were intended to have their own product line - the first plan was to do them in laser-cut plastic card, although the costs got a bit out of hand, so I reverted to designing them to be printed onto the self-adhesive labels and including them with some of the decal sets. So far the Dolphin, Halberstadt CLIV and Bristol Fighter sets in 48th have them, I designed the one included in Colin's Blue Max Macchi M.5 and now the Gladiator, of course.

No need for the WNW kits in 32nd, as they align beautifully anyway - although something for the Gotha might be worth doing - that top wing is a big heavy chunk of plastic.

No reason why I couldn't produce and sell them on their own, but though they would be quite cheap, the postage cost would more than double the likely retail price - if bought on their own. Let me cogitate......

Many thanks for the reply Rowan. A Munich schemes sheet would be rather interesting! As also the ragwing Hurricane might, as although I don't have either of the 1/48th kits/conversions you mention, I do have an Airfix Mk1 & the Heritage conversion set! The same caveat applies though - I'll only be building one of them (especially as I've just finished a Sword 1/72nd one), so I don't know whether I could justify a multi option sheet of just ragwings....

Anyway, happy cogitation....!!

Keef

#19 magpie

magpie

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:53 AM

Agree with Doug having bought several of the Pheon WW1 decals. When you consider the full package, not just the decals, the colour artwork and assembly jig and the well researched info in the enclosed booklets, I consider them good value.

When the first Pheon decals became available I thought it was important to buy them to give support to a fellow enthusiast starting what might have been a risky business venture. (That was a long sentence, should have some punctuation in there somewhere!). I mainly do WW1 but crossover into interwar now and again and, in the same way, I'm happy to buy the Gladiator decals in order to provide Rowan with some encouragement, and capital, to produce some more interwar stuff.

Ed

#20 Spitfire31

Spitfire31

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:47 PM

Beautiful sheet! In view of Silver Wings' upcoming Gladiator, perhaps you might consider a 1/32 version as well?

/Joachim

PS Yes, I would be very interested in a 'rag wing' Hurricane sheet in 1:48, as I've got the CA kit and also the MDC (?) resin conversion for the Airfix Mk I!

Edited by Spitfire31, 01 March 2011 - 01:54 PM.