Racing Spitfire

Just finished this one for Vince. He asked me on Thursday if I thought I could build it in time for his stand at Telford. I wasn't sure, but accepted the challenge.

The model is the 1/72 Fujimi MkXIV Spitfire in 41 Sqn colours. It arrived Monday morning in the post and I've been fitting it in around the Harrier since.

287412705.jpg

The kit is really nice, I was pretty impressed with it throughout although there are inconsistencies. Some of the detail parts are really finely moulded , while others are very poor. The cockpit interior includes a proper rounded bottom piece (surely unique among 1/72 Spitfires?) but lacks detail otherwise which is a shame.

The fit was beautiful all round with the single exception of the rear deck part which wasn't great.

The scheme included is for an 'Air Race' Spitfire of 41 Sqn. I might be confused, but I thought the aircraft in question was actually a Mk21 :shrug:

Either way, the finished model is a little gem, and would look good in any Spitfire collection. Lets hope it helps Vince sell a few at the weekend!

Jen.

Thanks peeps :D

I should have said in the words, the silver is Alclad White Aluminium. The paintwork is meant to represent a silver painted finish, but if you use a normal silver paint it would look too grainy in this scale.

The Alclad is applied over a coat of grey Mr Surfacer. I only used a primer because I could see swirls in the plastic and sometimes Aclad will pick those up. Once the Alclad was on, the model received one coat of Klear applied with a brush (that's one of those stick things with hairs in the end).

The decals were applied over that, using more Klear as a setting agent. The final finish is acheived with one further coat of Klear, again using a brush.

Hope that helps.

Jen.

Blimey... you ARE a glutton for punishment ;-)

Another lovely job, Jen!

The original one in that scheme was a 21, as we both remember from the old Airfix Spit GB, but there is a 14 flying on the airshow circuit in that scheme as well, I think. There's certainly one that's those colours and not a 21...

bestest,

M.

Thanks peeps :D

I should have said in the words, the silver is Alclad White Aluminium. The paintwork is meant to represent a silver painted finish, but if you use a normal silver paint it would look too grainy in this scale.

The Alclad is applied over a coat of grey Mr Surfacer. I only used a primer because I could see swirls in the plastic and sometimes Aclad will pick those up. Once the Alclad was on, the model received one coat of Klear applied with a brush (that's one of those stick things with hairs in the end).

The decals were applied over that, using more Klear as a setting agent. The final finish is acheived with one further coat of Klear, again using a brush.

Hope that helps.

Jen.

Ta Jen !!

Aye Jen, another stunner. :speak_cool:

As the guys have said, the Fujimi kit actually depicts a restored machine as opposed to the original. I'm sure there was a major difference in the markings, possibly a large race-number on the 21 that was not copied on the later machines?

Somewhere in my photo archives I have pics of a XIV and a XVI that were in this scheme doing the air show rounds a few years ago. If I can find them - after Telford (!) - I will post.

TD248 (the Mk XVI) was restored in the 41(F) Racing Mk 21 scheme in the early nineties. RN201, the Mk XIV was restored in the early 2000s, and was painted in the same scheme - somewhat ironically after Fujimi had done the racing scheme on a Mk XIV kit!