DH-88 'Grosvener House' Markings

mhaselden

Whilst I have nothing to add to the colour argument, I would say that I would have thought such an expensive model as the Aerotech/Marsh one would be a lot more accurate than it appears to be. Marsh Models have always had an enviable reputation for the veracity and quality of their model racing cars in the small (for cars) 1/43rd scale for decades.

There is little excuse for shape inaccuracies on such a large model. Indeed there are few excuses for that problem on any scale. I have made models in scales from 1/5th to 1/500th and given each the same severe inspection for inaccuracies.

Since I am in the process of moving inexorably from cars to aircraft, civil in particular, I hope I will be more careful with my masters than some of the rarer and more expensive models have proved to be.

Martin

Hello Martin.

If you are considering a model of the Comet then drop me a line via PM.

I have some info that will help.

Chris.

Let's go back as far as possible to the time when memories have yet to fade. Google "DH88 Comet" and you will find an entry with an illustration from a cigarette card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_DH.88

It dates from 1935 and is very small. I have the original set of 50 of these cards in good condition and, in my opinion, the artist does a good job of distinguishing white from silver and from polished metal. It seems to me that the spinners are polished metal and the registration and stripe are white. And then there is this from just a couple of years later:

DH88_Comet-dwg_zpsdea8baff.jpg

My old Airfix kit built around 1958 and which has survived the years.

dsc_2646s.jpg

Mike

• Like 1

Sorry if anyone already mentioned this as I havent read through all the posts - I have seen Grovesnor house in the last year or so at Shuttleworth and she definetley has white trim

Follow up to my last - ooopss - I think I wont get involved...looks nice in red and white anyway

Of general interest, other racing types from the DH stable were Red and White namely the TK.2 and 4 (Yes I know they were Tech (K)College). IIRC the

DH School of Flying Moths were Red with White registrations. Their DH 9Js had Gold registrations.

John

Just what I noticed from the posted pictures fa-10939s and fa-10977s is that the gradient is exactly in the same place - although the angle of the camera to the aircraft is different. So I suppose that the fading white "comet" is more likely than a silver trim. Just my opinion. But please go ahead with this very interesting discussion - I have still a Comet waiting to be built...

• 3 months later...

I am trying to discover the colour of DH88 c/n1994 while it was marked E.1. It was the prototype / first to fly later to be Black Magic / Salazar. From the B+W photos I would say that it was not red or black and as a prototype was probably in undercoat but what colour?

Curious why the white stripe would 'degrade' but not the white registration letters? Based on nothing but the linked photos, were I building a model of her, I'd give her silver stripes. Bear in mind that eyewitness testimony has been scientifically proven to be the single least reliable way to establish facts in almost any situation. Even the magazine article might be suspect. Back in those days, absolutely authenticity wasn't generally the #1 priority, and some correspondent looking at it from afar might have thought (or read somewhere, more likely) that the stripes were white. I can't see any other explanation for what we're seeing in those photos.

Curious why the white stripe would 'degrade' but not the white registration letters? Based on nothing but the linked photos, were I building a model of her, I'd give her silver stripes. Bear in mind that eyewitness testimony has been scientifically proven to be the single least reliable way to establish facts in almost any situation. Even the magazine article might be suspect. Back in those days, absolutely authenticity wasn't generally the #1 priority, and some correspondent looking at it from afar might have thought (or read somewhere, more likely) that the stripes were white. I can't see any other explanation for what we're seeing in those photos.

OK - You win. :wall:

I am still not convinced that the comet stripe was silver. I aggree that it does look like silver in the pictures because of the degrading but as said in my previous mail: I think if the degrading comes from silver paint it should be different in the pictures when they are taken at different angles. But this is not the case as far as I can see. I wanted to ad some pictures to "proove" this but somehow are not allowed to do so here...

Cheers,

Rene

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Although I have nothing to add on colours since I know no more than most on this subject and a lot less than some (I have enjoyed reading this discussion). I can add something that might be of interest to those interested in the Comet.

Here are some pictures that were taken in Australia at the end of the MacRobertson Trophy Air Race of 1934 that variously show G-ACSR, G-ACSS plus Kenneth F. Waller and F/Lt Owen Cathcart-Jones.

9127668752_001f782e2c_o.jpg

9127667582_5667fcf883_o.jpg

9125446087_de05a76bd8_o.jpg

9127665434_6a4cb91b8b_o.jpg

9125443965_2e4c5ea1b4_o.jpg

Cheers,

Daniel.

• 3 weeks later...

Very intresting discussion on paint colour and trim, think yourself lucky that you have an aircraft still about, my quest for the colour "red" and pin strip colour for a Gee Bee R1/R2 has been difficult to say the least, 1 modeller has manufacturer paint chips of the era and there is a sample of the pin strip from a piece of wing, it is assumed "black" but the alledged fabric is Dark Blue, it is said that the Dark Blue would be a better contrast to red and white, I have to agree, most of the people that design, built and flown are sadly gone with very few records to say one way or the other.

Happy reasearch and modelling

Very intresting discussion on paint colour and trim, think yourself lucky that you have an aircraft still about, my quest for the colour "red" and pin strip colour for a Gee Bee R1/R2 has been difficult to say the least, 1 modeller has manufacturer paint chips of the era and there is a sample of the pin strip from a piece of wing, it is assumed "black" but the alledged fabric is Dark Blue, it is said that the Dark Blue would be a better contrast to red and white, I have to agree, most of the people that design, built and flown are sadly gone with very few records to say one way or the other.

Happy reasearch and modelling

I think I saw a picture showing a wing of a crashed GeeBee in a museum on some website. I will try to find it. If it not some replica wing the museum mihgjt be able to help.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

This may be a late posting but the Comets should not be glossy. They would have had a satin sheen finish unlike Grosvenor House's high shine restoration . I got this info form the Black Beauty restoration team and a few chats with people involved in other restoration projects. Take a look at period photographs.

Andrew.