xffw45343tg

If Airfix were to do a 1:72 VC-10, which should it be?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Which airframe?

• Standard VC-10
    • C Mk 1
    • Super VC-10
    • XV109 10 Sqn as at July 2002
    • All of the above in one boxing
  2. 2. In which livery?

• BOAC
    • BA
    • Other civil
    • Other military
    • XV109 10 Sqn as at July 2002
    • All of the above in one boxing
  3. 3. I would regard myself as

• Optimistic
    • Deluded
    • Certifiable
    • In need of XV109 as at July 2002
    • All of the above

OK - perhaps one box for all variants is a bit ambitious, but there no reason to over-egg the complexity here. Mastering 2 tubes to be the same diameter is much simpler than the ovoid (or more complex) sections found on a Nimrod, Hawk, Tornado, etc

The point that would be the biggest factor in selling price must be predicted demand rather than tooling costs alone. I suppose the question would be something like, "Could you sell as many 1:72 VC-10s as Hercs?" - Forty odd "votes" from this target rich pool isn't that encouraging. (And I know this a bit of fun rather than proper research.)

Given that Airfix were pushing out new tool FA2s for under a tenner, you get the feeling that they are prepared to invest in the long term, rather than needing to recoup the investment in the 1st year.

I personally would be very sad if any of the mainstream IM manufacturers released a 1:72 VC-10 over (or even near) the £50 mark. That would kind of imply they didn't intend to sell many.

Maybe VC-10s need their own Mark Marples to bankroll the project. :D

There are too many variations for a build all versions kit

The Super has the rear pax door moved from in front of the wing to behind, The BUA 1103 has extended wingtips, The RAF Standard and Super had engines tilted 3 degrees compared to other versions and of course the mentioned BOAC Standard that had the original wing with the cord increase at the LE.

At that scale the freight door would need to be modelled. :)

Garry

I don't see why two versions in one box would be so hard, even with the variations the VC10 had...

1) fuse; sharp end, wing(mid) section and rear

build as a standard by putting the three together

build as a super by inserting the plugs either side of the mid section

2) doors; mold side panel sections with door openings in the right place for either version. Use whichever panel is right for the version you build

Same goes for the freight door section.

3) wing tips; blunt ends to the wings, choose the extended tip or standard tip

4) leading edge; same thing - the wing has a blunt front, choose whichever l/e your using.

5) engines; again the attachment point has two variations so choose the one your building

6) windows; the base fuse sections have all for a civil version, just have solid plugs for less windows

hows that?

:)

• Like 1

2) doors; mold side panel sections with door openings in the right place for either version. Use whichever panel is right for the version you build

Same goes for the freight door section.

LOL, airfix doors never fit! Nor are they the correct size or shape!

dont forget the RB211 on the left side....

I wouldnt mind one myself, if I can get hold on enough kits to do the ones I alrerady want to do.

Yea I think this is where we modellers shoot ourselves in the feet, by being too picky....

If they brought out a Super as an RAF VC-10 with two options we should all be happy, because I know 50% of you would go and buy after market decals and other bits and pieces, accept shes a VC-10 blindly or scratch build bits on or off to make individual craft but we need a cheap and affordable base to start off with.

52 parts in the 1:144 apparently. 25% more for 1:72? Easier to engineer than a Hawk. Not many decals. Smaller box than a 1:72 Concorde. How hard could that be?

It would not sell as well, hence a higher price.

It aint gonna happen any time soon, not from a mainstream manufacturer anyway.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

It would not sell as well, hence a higher price.

It aint gonna happen any time soon, not from a mainstream manufacturer anyway.

Marty...

Why?

If there was a demonstrable demand for a model of a squashed cain toad, someone would make one. Airfix et al are in business to make profit not pursue vendettas against lumps of metal depicted in styrene.

Or have I missed a law somewhere that says VC-10s are off limits?

Dear Mike & the Mods,

Please may we have a new smiley that conveys something like, "Please don't be so pessimistic. I know it's winter, but spring will come again soon." It could be a picture of Neil from the Young Ones.

Cheers,

Kirk

PS/ No company (especially Airfix) will ever make a injection moulded VC-10 in 1:72 because that might make a bunch of people happy and go out and buy it and that would be, like, really bad. Even if they did, it would be unbuildable so everyone would have to throw it away without finishing it. Even if they did finish it, it would be wrong. Even if it wasn't wrong you'd have to spend a fortune on aftermarket bits that no one would make because they'd be too expensive. Even if they did make them, you'd have to cut off the pouring stub and that would break your saw and you'd have to buy another one, which would be really expensive. And even if that didn't happen, you'd never finish before Telford. Oh what's the point... :suicide:

Dear Mike & the Mods,

Please may we have a new smiley that conveys something like, "Please don't be so pessimistic. I know it's winter, but spring will come again soon." It could be a picture of Neil from the Young Ones.

Cheers,

Kirk

PS/ No company (especially Airfix) will ever make a injection moulded VC-10 in 1:72 because that might make a bunch of people happy and go out and buy it and that would be, like, really bad. Even if they did, it would be unbuildable so everyone would have to throw it away without finishing it. Even if they did finish it, it would be wrong. Even if it wasn't wrong you'd have to spend a fortune on aftermarket bits that no one would make because they'd be too expensive. Even if they did make them, you'd have to cut off the pouring stub and that would break your saw and you'd have to buy another one, which would be really expensive. And even if that didn't happen, you'd never finish before Telford. Oh what's the point... :suicide:

Your logic is sound - who could possibly afford that? At least the model manufacturers have their thinking heads screwed on - they've clearly already followed the same logic trail as you have :whistle:

The smiley is a superb idea too.

Actually I think it would be more like:

No company (especially Airfix) will ever make a injection moulded VC-10 in 1:72 because that might make a bunch of people happy until they realised how much it cost and would all refuse on principle to pay that much for it. Even if they did, it would be unfairly criticised as unbuildable so everyone else would walk away without even looking inside the box. Even if they did finish it, someone with access to a secret stash of plans would claim it was wrong. Even if it wasn't wrong people would spend a fortune on aftermarket bits because they'd fallen for all the claims that it was wrong and would then complain bitterly that the AM stuff was expensive as well. Even if they did make them, someone would complain that they were wrong too. And even if that didn't happen, you'd never finish before Telford.

• Like 1

The reality is, this thread has crawled to just over 3 pages and has 6/7 different posters. Even if the thread had exploded to over 30 pages and a hundred different posters - it would not be much of a business case to invest in excess of a £150k

My view is there is more chance of seeing a 1/48 Vulcan than a 72 scale VC-10 in the near future from a mainstream manufacturer. I'm not holding my breath on seeing that anytime soon, either.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk