xffw45343tg

If Airfix were to do a 1:72 VC-10, which should it be?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Which airframe?

• Standard VC-10
    • C Mk 1
    • Super VC-10
    • XV109 10 Sqn as at July 2002
    • All of the above in one boxing
  2. 2. In which livery?

• BOAC
    • BA
    • Other civil
    • Other military
    • XV109 10 Sqn as at July 2002
    • All of the above in one boxing
  3. 3. I would regard myself as

• Optimistic
    • Deluded
    • Certifiable
    • In need of XV109 as at July 2002
    • All of the above

So as not to further derail Rich's thread, I thought I'd pop up a handy poll to help Airfix in their product planning for next year...
Feel free to comment on how much you'd pay - I ran out of available questions.

Enjoy,

Kirk.

Edited by Kirk

Its got to be a Super, easier to convert a super to standered. Id guess Airfix would do an RAF as more people would want one, but please have all the military stuff stick on so its not so hard to convert back!

And back to the real world!

Edited by richellis

I ticked "all of the above" in each catagory

Reason beiong is that a kit that will make either a standard or super gives you both options

as does the markings.

Since the VC10 had such a small production run and was used by a small number of operators, yet had a number of differences

between the BOAC standard and the rest, it would make sense

As a new-tool such a kit would have the benefits of modern technology so "all of the above" should be do-able.

Cost - guess it would be in the £50 range so I'll happily go without food for a while, or have sex with anybody who buys me a few :)

oh yeah and dont forget that BOAC's standards were the only ones that were made in that configuration.

Every other standard (RAF, BUA etc) had wing changes etc.

Oh yes please. Lots of good books out there on the VC10, so plenty of references. VC10s likely to be in service with the RAF for a couple more years so come on Airfix - you know you want to.

Personally I need at east 2 please. Need to do a K2 and a K3/4, possibly even a K3, K3 and a K4 :wacko: How much? Well as I paid £39.99 for my first 2 Nimrods I suppose 49.99 wouldn't be beyond belief.

Can't believe everyone's talking the price up. S'pose it's never going to be as popular as a Red Arrows Hawk & given the ratio of viewers to voters on this, and the likely follow on of voters to purchases, there doesn't seem to be much demand :(

Thanks for the info on C1Ks though Dave.

Size-wise, it's the same territory as the 1:24 Mosquito, although it wouldn't have the same parts count. The tooling for the Heller 707 in all it's incarnations have long been paid for, so the price of such a kit - should it come to light - would have to pay for tooling made at today's prices. The Sea Vixen is selling for about £35...sticking my finger in the air I think £60 would not be unreasonable for what would be a fair amount of plastic in a large box.

Jens

Out of curiosity, when the BOAC standards were converted to tankers, did they recieve the wing mods?

ummm....not sure....I'll go look it up...

as for talking the price up, I'll take as many as I can get (ok not quite - there are limits as to operators) for a price of £0.00

"sigh".....

realityzone; airfix probably wont make one, if they did it would most likely cost around the £40-£50 mark if current prices are any guide

And if it came as a 'make-any-version' kit, which would make sense, so it wont, thats a big investment in designh and tooling.

So I'll stand by my earlier comments......

I would love almost any VC10 in 1/72, since it's the second-fastest and second-prettiest airliner there ever was and the 1/72 job at Modelkraft was just gobsmacking. But I odn't know enough about them (especially not what was so special about July 2002) to pick a particular option. I will say this, though: if anyone thinks every configuration in one box, at that scale, would come in under fifty quid, dream on! Just tooling a multi-part fuselage to allow for the two lengths, plus the necessary options for the windows, would take it way, way beyond the Nimrod for parts count and complexity. But imagine the decal sheet(s) ...

• Like 1

I would love almost any VC10 in 1/72, since it's the second-fastest and second-prettiest airliner there ever was and the 1/72 job at Modelkraft was just gobsmacking. But I odn't know enough about them (especially not what was so special about July 2002) to pick a particular option. I will say this, though: if anyone thinks every configuration in one box, at that scale, would come in under fifty quid, dream on! Just tooling a multi-part fuselage to allow for the two lengths, plus the necessary options for the windows, would take it way, way beyond the Nimrod for parts count and complexity. But imagine the decal sheet(s) ...

2 lengths of fuselage hard? The Airfix Concorde has no windows so that's a non-issue and the plug is tubular.

Parts count higher than a Nimrod? With the latter's multiple stores fitments, aerials, tail boom lengths, panniers, etc, etc. Really?

July 2002. Queen's Jubilee flypast. 27 aircraft, most of which are now being converted to saucepans. Only significant thing it lacked was Harriers.

Chaps

When you've all bought those 1/72 VC-10s that Airfix will undoubtedly release, you'll need a suitable vehicle to get them home from your LMS. Anyone want to borrow my Corsa? :)

canon56-10006v.jpg

Regards all

Mark

There are too many variations for a build all versions kit

The Super has the rear pax door moved from in front of the wing to behind, The BUA 1103 has extended wingtips, The RAF Standard and Super had engines tilted 3 degrees compared to other versions and of course the mentioned BOAC Standard that had the original wing with the cord increase at the LE.

At that scale the freight door would need to be modelled. :)

Garry

2 lengths of fuselage hard? The Airfix Concorde has no windows so that's a non-issue and the plug is tubular.

Aye, but have you actually tried building the Airfix Concorde? The multiple tube lengths aren't the same diameter so it's a mare trying to get it to fit together. Can you imagine having to do that with, what, 3 fuselage barrels? :confused: Just the thought's terrifying! :suicide:

Edited by Airbusians