captured Heinkel 115

modelmaker

hello chaps, wonder if anyone can help? the model club to which I belong hold monthly competition themes and one for later this month will be 'captured' or 'Any item of military hardware that was captured and marked up in the captor’s colours'. I had a rummage through my stash and came up with the old Matchbox He115 I have had tucked away for a while. I understand that several were brought to to the UK but the one that seems to fit my competition secretaries criteria 'captured enemy' rather than 'manufactured by enemy power but used by someone else (eg Norwegian aircraft)' appears to be the Luftwaffe 'plane which was designated as BV 187 in RAF service. does anyone have any thoughts on paintwork for this aircraft? in the theory that no-one else will know for CERTAIN I might use my best shot of Luftwaffe camo. overpainted with dark green/grey, but your thoughts and ideas will be gratefully received, thank you (below is the onlt 'picture' I can find on 't web, with thanks to the author

5421260725_b8dd2540fb_m.jpg

just want to say thanks to everyone who has replied so far-I nevere fail to be amazed how things 'take off' (sorry). I look forward to getting going building it soon, hope I can do your efforts justice. any items of help/interest gratefully received, thank you JD

Edited by modelmaker

As far as I can tell they were re painted with Dark Earth and Dark Green on top and Night Black underneath as per RAF bombers with A1 Type roudels on the fuselage and B Type on the upper wings. One of the He 115`s had the central glazing overpainted, but not sure which one? Whilst serving on Malta the only photo that I`ve seen shows the markings removed and it may have been overall black...its hard to tell. Apparently one of these He 115`s from Malta landed in Tripoli harbour in broad daylight to pick up allied agents and they regularly flew to Norway from Scotland.

I hope this helps

All the best

Tony O

A fascinating subject and one which, even 70 years later, is still shrouded in an element of mystery (and controversy). An autobiography by a Canadian who served on them as a navigator caused much discussion, especially amongst Norwegian enthuisasts, and there was considerable doubt as to whether or not he actually flew operations on them - his account of the destruction of the airframes for example doesn't tally with some accounts. Yet he obviously at least trained on them as he had several unique photographs. Unfortunately, he died before the book was published.

I'm sure there will be a still-classified file lying in the AHB or similar.

Whether they were Sea or land scheme is one question - I've seen both quoted, but always tended to favour the sea scheme, can't see why the UK operated one at least would be in land colours - and yet the B+W pictures indicate that it could be!! (One of these is taken when the aircraft was being broken up on Tayside)

One little appreciated point is that at least one of them has nose art.

I've got several photos, I'll see what I can dig out.

• Like 1

This is the only one on my HD collection (Which means all the rest are in books and mags and will need to be scanned :( )

he115pg.jpg

You can just see the traces of the nose art behind the prop spinner

Note the enclosed canopy. Not so obvious is the machine guns the RAF fitted in the wing leading (and apparently trailing) edges.

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

Hi

True, I find most of the SD aircraft/flights interesting, they used to be fascinating finds in the various station or squadron records at the PRO/NA, The main one I remember either 1O Sqn Raaf or Raf mountbatten log mentioned the aircraft. no photos thou'

cheers

Jerry

Hi John,

I can't help with the question, but could I ask you to resize your signature pic please? It needs to be no more than 200 pixels tall to comply with the regs. Thanks :)

Hi John,

I can't help with the question, but could I ask you to resize your signature pic please? It needs to be no more than 200 pixels tall to comply with the regs. Thanks :)

sorry! still seem to have only the vaguest idea how to do this stuff; will have to stick to plastic methinks! hope this is better JD

sorry! still seem to have only the vaguest idea how to do this stuff; will have to stick to plastic methinks! hope this is better JD

fine P 38, cant blame you for wanting to show her off.

and FYI

Signature pict info HERE

Your not alone in being confused by pixels over plastic :hypnotised:

This shot shows one of them at Woodhaven.

http://www.theinvergordonarchive.org/picture/number1424.asp

The same aircraft (most probably) being scrapped at Woodhaven.

F56_BV186_1_800.jpg

F56_BV186_2_800.jpg

F56_BV186_3_800.jpg

F56_BV186_4_800.jpg

The aircraft is reportedly BV186, ex. F.56 of the Norwegian Naval Air Arm.

I visited Woodhaven a few years ago (2006) and some of the buildings still stand.

Woodhaven_2006_800.jpg

Nils

• Like 1

That's grand, thanks :)

According to an old IPMS Norway article:

Type W.Nr. Norw.serial RAF serial

He 115A-2 3041 F.56 BV184

He 115A-2 3042 F.58 BV185

He 115A-2 3092 F.52 BV186

He 115B-2 ? F.64 BV187

The B-2 was a Luftwaffe aircraft captured by the Norwegians.

Nils

Great pics folks. Really dumb question - where was the serial number on this airframe? That shot of the tail being cut up is pretty clear but I can't see any serial number. Or were the serials painted out for clandestine work, which seems odd since there are chuffing great A and A1 roundels on the beast.

Great pics folks. Really dumb question - where was the serial number on this airframe? That shot of the tail being cut up is pretty clear but I can't see any serial number. Or were the serials painted out for clandestine work, which seems odd since there are chuffing great A and A1 roundels on the beast.

There may be one, but I've never seen it visible in the photos

I came over a magazine at the local club meeting today, Malta Fly Past - Issue 6. It had an article on the Maltese He 115 operations, including a few photos. The aircraft was painted all black and was devoid of any markings. However the upper sides were a bit lighter than the lower sides. So I assume that the lower sides were MAP Night while the upper sides had been painted over with a locally produced black paint.

There was also a photo of the He 115 at Woodhaven, that I had not seen before.

I hope to get a copy of the article within a few days.

Nils

• Like 1

I came over a magazine at the local club meeting today, Malta Fly Past - Issue 6. It had an article on the Maltese He 115 operations, including a few photos. The aircraft was painted all black and was devoid of any markings. However the upper sides were a bit lighter than the lower sides. So I assume that the lower sides were MAP Night while the upper sides had been painted over with a locally produced black paint.

There was also a photo of the He 115 at Woodhaven, that I had not seen before.

I hope to get a copy of the article within a few days.

Nils

thank you, I cannot believe how helpful people are. I have also learned a lot about this aircraft-fascinating stuff. all the best, regards JD
  • Like 1

Here, first a photo from Woodhaven, the Tyne Bridge can be seen in the background. Interestingly, roundells are carried on the wing undersides.

F52_BV186_5_800.jpg

And two photos from Malta, with a "lighter black" on the upper surfaces.

Malta_1_800.jpg

Malta_2_800.jpg

Enjoy! :)

Nils

• 3 years later...

Those pics of the Malta based He 115 look like the upper surfaces have received a repaint into the Temperate Sea Scheme colours of Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey,...both of which were in plentiful supply at Kalafrana where it is photographed, as this was a flying boat and maritime aircraft servicing centre.

Cheers

Tony