AMI F-86K Sabre Dog

Guest Drewe

This is the Special Hobby F-86K, with the Fujimi slatted 6-3 F-40 wing grafted on. Given the butchery of the Fujimi kit, I also took the chance to use the Fujimi tanks, Sidewinder/Rail combo and undercarriage. Nothing wrong with those in the kit, but less flash removal using the Fujimi parts!

Paint is a mix of Gunze Mr Color for base coat and details, panel work with Alclad. Kit decals. Just had a pair of the SH long wing F-86L show up today so there are more Sabre Dogs in my future!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

Wonderful model Drewe!

The K has always been a fave of mine - its the gun armament I think, and the non US users. If I could work how to stretch the D fuselage - I'd go for a revellogram D conversion n 1/48th.

Hi Jon,

on my way looking to build a German K I found that...

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/?shopid=L...0&art=48809

:partytime:

Long time no hear Drewe. I see you are up to your usual standards.

The guys and I are planning another modelling weekend in January. Would you be interested?

See you at Telford? I am there Saturday only.

If I could work how to stretch the D fuselage - I'd go for a revellogram D conversion n 1/48th.

Jon,

The cuts are fairly simple, as are the new panel lines. The attached is what I did in 1/72, but applies, of course, to 1/48.

site1049.jpg

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

This is the Special Hobby F-86K, with the Fujimi slatted 6-3 F-40 wing grafted on.

Drewe,

Did you keep the K fuselage center section and "just" graft on the Fujimi wings? Details would be appreciated. EDIT: Nevermind...just found your build thread. Excellent!

Does the Special Hobby L model have the same bastardized wings as the K kit? Did they reduce the fuselage length (by the 8" plug), or just remove the guns from the (incorrect) F-86K fuselage? In that regard, hopefully the SH F-86L isn't a wrong fuselage mated to some wrong wings. Best L model may still be the Hasegawa kit with Fujimi wings and appropriate antennae?

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

Drewe,

Did you keep the K fuselage center section and "just" graft on the Fujimi wings? Details would be appreciated. EDIT: Nevermind...just found your build thread. Excellent!

Does the Special Hobby L model have the same bastardized wings as the K kit? Did they reduce the fuselage length (by the 8" plug), or just remove the guns from the (incorrect) F-86K fuselage? In that regard, hopefully the SH F-86L isn't a wrong fuselage mated to some wrong wings. Best L model may still be the Hasegawa kit with Fujimi wings and appropriate antennae?

Gene K

Gene,

The L model fuselage is shorter than the K (by. . ooooo. . . say 8 scale inches? :analintruder:) so they got that right at least! BTW, what's wrong with the K fuselage? Looks okay to me but I don't do your level of research as we know! Wings are still wrong, but this time you get an extra pair of uppers, of standard span. So you could do an F-86D from this model too, but for an L it means another Fujimi F-40 will buy the farm. Doesn't bother me overly as buying them directly from R-10 is only about £3-4 a pop so I order a couple every now and then!

C+. . . could have been better!

The L model fuselage is shorter than the K (by. . ooooo. . . say 8 scale inches? :analintruder:) so they got that right at least! BTW, what's wrong with the K fuselage? Wings are still wrong, but this time you get an extra pair of uppers, of standard span. So you could do an F-86D from this model too, but for an L it means another Fujimi F-40 will buy the farm.

Drewe,

Thanks for the reply and the "measurement".

Hopefully I'll post a couple of pictures (tomorrow?) on ARC about the fuselage to close out the thread I started a couple of months ago (the Special Hobby F-86K review). In a nutshell, the SH K fuselage is too long (the 8" K extension is actually twice that), which I think effects the wing placement. Additionally, the front fuselage is too fat. I'm trying to confirm some measurements against the Hasegawa kit, the Revell kit, and some drawings. SO if the L model fuselage is reduced by a scale 8" from their K as you suggested, it would, in fact, be a correct K fuselage, and that would be a good thing...BUT we'd then need the correct guns/panels! Makes my head hurt!

I just wonder why SH can't do a little better research since their plastic (engraving, etc) is really very nice. But then, my references and ruler may be all wet!

I haven't gotten the SH L model yet, but intend to just to see what they did...but likely the best L is still the Hasegawa kit with the Fujimi F-40 wings (I just did another set last night).

Have you started a build thread on your L? Considering your speed, you're likely ready to paint.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K