Star Wars AT-TE

Star Wars AT-TE

1:98 Revell

It's been a long wait (too long, I hear Mike cry!), but here's my second review for Britmodeller. This time, it's a Star Wars kit, and as my username would suggest, I'm a bit of a fan.

AT-TEboxfront.jpg

Revell really need no introduction to modellers, and their range of Star Wars Easykits has won many fans, due to being good, accurate, yet simple models; being also pre-coloured and painted, and snap-together, they're great for younger modellers, or for those of us who want a quick fix to break the dreaded modellers' block. The prices are also very competitive, especially for a licensed property.

The AT-TE (All Terrain Tactical Enforcer), seen in Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, and the CGI cartoon series The Clone Wars, should be a familiar shape to all Star Wars fans. This particular model is based on the Clone Wars version, but to all intents and purposes is the same as the one from the movies. This six-legged, heavily armed and armoured fighting machine can be seen as the forerunner to the famous AT-AT (also available from Revell) that led the assault on Hoth in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.

AT-TEcontents.jpg

Kit no. 06673, packed in an end-opening box, with a colourful and attractive photo of a built model on the lid, comprises 61 parts moulded in grey pre-coloured plastic, with details pre-painted in wine red, orange and dark grey. Modelled to a scale of 1/98, the finished AT-TE will measure 225.2mm in length.

AT-TEsprue1.jpg

AT-TEsprue2.jpg

There is also a clear plastic canopy, a base (painted brown), and a driver figure, who is moulded in a rubbery material, and painted white.

AT-TEbase.jpg

AT-TEdriver.jpg

There are varying amounts of weathering to the pieces, done in a light brown dust/dirt colour, and some further weathering to the base.

AT-TEdetail1.jpg

AT-TEdetail2.jpg

AT-TEdetail3.jpg

AT-TEdetail4.jpg

The parts are cleanly moulded, and although there is some slight flash on one or two parts, it will clean up easily, and does not interfere with any of the pre-painted areas.

No glue is needed for the assembly; all parts snap together, although they could obviously be glued if you so wish. Having assembled a few kits from this range, I feel it's not necessary to glue, as the fit is quite tight in the main. Revell list this model on the box as skill level 2, and suitable for ages 8 and upwards. Revell skill levels range from 1 (easy) to 5 (the hardest), so this is towards the simple end of the range - well within the skill levels of most children, especially those with experience of either other snap kits, or construction toys.

AT-TEboxrear.jpg

The model features six articulated legs and moveable guns (main, front and rear). Some might view these as gimmicks, but to children they will give added play value, and to adults it means you can pose the model as you wish, without resorting to plastic surgery.

The instructions are the pictographic type, with a front page in German and English giving details of the 'real thing.' Next is a parts map, then 21 stages of construction, in full colour. These are very clearly drawn, with all parts numbered, leaving little or no room for error. So if you have problems, don't blame Revell!

This model is well detailed from the box, and looks accurate, but leaves room for more experienced builders to add their own touches, even if it's something simple like detail painting, or further weathering. One thing I plan to modify is the insides of the knee joints; these are left open on the model, leaving the snap-fix hinge arrangement visible. It will be the work of a few minutes to cut some discs from plastic card, glue them in place on the knees, and paint them to match the rest of the model. I might also repaint the grey moulded plastic areas of the kit, but it looks quite good as it is. I may be able to just give it a coat of matt varnish and leave it at that.

Conclusion

In conclusion, I think Revell have scored another winner with this kit. It is simple to assemble, and will build into an impressively large model. Thoroughly recommended.

Review sample courtesy of

logo-revell-2009.gif

• 1 month later...

Well, I finished it. No excuse really, as it's pre-painted and snaps together in minutes. It looks pretty good when done, too. It's cured my modellers' block, and is the first model I've finished in several years! On to the photos:

Photo0108.jpg

Photo0107.jpg

Photo0104.jpg

Photo0103.jpg

Photo0102.jpg

Photo0101.jpg

Photo0109.jpg

Photo0110.jpg

Built straight from the box, no glue, no paint (not even touch-ups), took a couple of hours working at a very slow pace, and was great fun to do. Whaddya think?

Edited by Obi-Jiff Kenobi

Excellent build old man, the force has served you well on this one!

They are good kits to clear modellers block, the Dynorod of the modelling world!

It's cured my modellers' block...

Can you hear my wife saying "you're going to the model shop again???"

Built straight from the box, no glue, no paint (not even touch-ups), took a couple of hours working at a very slow pace, and was great fun to do. Whaddya think?

I think it's great!

Thanks, guys

Can you hear my wife saying "you're going to the model shop again???"

Mrs Obi-Jiff is living in fear at the moment, I'm off to Southern Expo this Sunday, and I'm bound to come back with loads of stuff!

• 2 years later...