Revell 1:32 Hawk

Iain Ogilvie

Thanks FZ6 - that's brilliant - confirms mine and others are short shot/damaged and I haven't lost it!! :)

I may go knock on the door of Revell UK on Monday (office is literally 30 yds from mine) - although I'll prolly knock something together with some scrap plastic.

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Thanks FZ6 - that's brilliant - confirms mine and others are short shot/damaged and I haven't lost it!! :)

I may go knock on the door of Revell UK on Monday (office is literally 30 yds from mine) - although I'll prolly knock something together with some scrap plastic.

Iain

No problems, Happy to help.

Can I ask how you plan to paint the intakes? I know the fit is spot on but I still have a slight seam and it looks tricky to sand. Also if assembled before painting I can imagine it willl be tricky to spray and cofering that red with white paint for the intakes will need a cood coat of primer first.

Regards,

Mark

Can I ask how you plan to paint the intakes? I know the fit is spot on but I still have a slight seam and it looks tricky to sand. Also if assembled before painting I can imagine it willl be tricky to spray and cofering that red with white paint for the intakes will need a cood coat of primer first

Was just planning to spray as best I can once cleaned up - don't think it will be too bad...

I've just found out too late that the intake trunking needs to be painted natural metal before it gets stuck together.

Shouldn't they be light grey?

Can anyone advise?

Iain

I punted for light grey (HU 129) for the intakes and used a hairy stick before joining the halves together. The seam's not bad and not particularly noticeable inside the lip.

I think it needs some nose weight - ideally above the nose bay. Too late - for me I'll have to see what I can stuff under the seats and in the side consoles.

I punted for light grey (HU 129) for the intakes and used a hairy stick before joining the halves together. The seam's not bad and not particularly noticeable inside the lip.

I think it needs some nose weight - ideally above the nose bay. Too late - for me I'll have to see what I can stuff under the seats and in the side consoles.

Buy a box of .177 Airgun pellets, 500 for a couple of quid in any sports shop. They squash down easly with pliers and are quite dense and heavy. They can also be squeezed into lots of small spaces. Glue with SPVA or wood glue.

Looks like it had the later square headbox seats Bill. Go for it!

Airliners.net Hawk 92 Squadron

Phil

Thanks Phil, but thats 19 Sqn., though I suspect 92 Sqn 's machine was similarly seated. I have ordered the relevant Xtradecal sheet with both 19 & 92 Sqn Grey birds included. I'll mix and match with the red arrow decals..

Great thread this Iain, thanks for being a pathfinder on this one.

The nose leg on my kit seems ok.

From peeking at references, I think the intake trunking is light grey internally.

Thanks for the heads-up on the nose weight. I have n't seen any mention of it in the instructions so pleased you mentioned it fellahs.

Would the dipping in household latex gloss method work for the intake seams? (I think I'm going to use covers on mine.)

Keep up the good work Iain. Like many others, I'm taking notes :speak_cool:

No Hawk progress 'till late this afternoon - off to see rells in Hertfordshire. :(

But...

Means we have to pass through the great metrolopis of Milton Keynes - and for some bizarre reason I appear to have a Hawk reserved for me at that branch of Argos. Really don't understand how that happened ;)

Oh - and found a really nice book that I'd long forgotten about - a 30th Anniversary Red Arrows commemorative softback I was given when I used to wear a 'blue suit' part time. Full of brilliant photos.

In other news - now doing this for one of the mags - there's a *lot* of interest in these kits it would appear! :)

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Buy a box of .177 Airgun pellets, 500 for a couple of quid in any sports shop. They squash down easly with pliers and are quite dense and heavy. They can also be squeezed into lots of small spaces. Glue with SPVA or wood glue.

Taa Murdo Hadn't known of those - used to use fishing weights when they were lead - the steel shot ones are not so maleable.

Decided to go OOB and risk the decals for a RA version. As I did'nt drill out the smoke pod holes could I have a distance to the leading edge of the fairing from the wing joint please.

As I did'nt drill out the smoke pod holes could I have a distance to the leading edge of the fairing from the wing joint please.

Hi PB,

Do you still have the mounting pins on your smokepod? If so, I make the front smoke pod mounting hole c/l to be 14mm (11/32ths") forward of the wing joint under the fuselage.

The rear hole is 22mm (7/8ths") aft of the wing joint. That should line up {~inserts "fingers crossed" emoticon~}

If not, the front pin is located 1.5mm back from the front edge of the fairing making it 15.5mm from the wing joint to the leading edge of the fairing. The rear pin c/l is set 2.5mm inside the rear edge of the fairing so that would make the aft edge of the fairing 24.5 mm aft of the wing joint.

HTH

Edited by geedubelyer

I've been looking forward to this kit for ages and picked one up today. From a quick inspection I can see that mine has a the short shot issue. What do I need to do to rectify it? I can see that I need to add a small extra strut to support the swing arm of the suspension, but how long should this be?

Thanks Phil, but thats 19 Sqn., though I suspect 92 Sqn 's machine was similarly seated. I have ordered the relevant Xtradecal sheet with both 19 & 92 Sqn Grey birds included. I'll mix and match with the red arrow decals..

:oops: Sorry Bill. Don't tell Mark Marples. He thinks I know something about Hawks...

Phil

Hi PB,

Do you still have the mounting pins on your smokepod? If so, I make the front smoke pod mounting hole c/l to be 14mm (11/32ths") forward of the wing joint under the fuselage.

The rear hole is 22mm (7/8ths") aft of the wing joint. That should line up {~inserts "fingers crossed" emoticon~}

If not, the front pin is located 1.5mm back from the front edge of the fairing making it 15.5mm from the wing joint to the leading edge of the fairing. The rear pin c/l is set 2.5mm inside the rear edge of the fairing so that would make the aft edge of the fairing 24.5 mm aft of the wing joint.

HTH

Thank you geedubelyer - that should do nicely. Pins still attached but they are very fine.

Had a day of grown up stuff to do but I did pick up white primer and a Nissan red rattle cans from Halfords. I was looking for a cherry red that I used on my 1/48th RA but I think that was a Datsun red now not very up on cars I'm afraid.

Anyway I'll start a build thread off as I'm hogging this a bit (sorry Ian) and I've just about reached the point where no more plastic can be joined so some hairy stick work is needed.

im Watching you!!! :hanging:

:whistle: Dunno what you mean...

BTW would you believe I haven't yet picked up the Revell Hawk I've got reserved at Argos? We had a nice little trip to the USA over Christmas so I need to see how things pan out on Monday before I can commit the pennies. :(

Since Argos is 1/2 a mile from me, its been very hard to resist!

Still, I've very nearly got somewhere near finishing my 1/72 XX156. Honest.

Phil.

Taa Murdo Hadn't known of those - used to use fishing weights when they were lead - the steel shot ones are not so maleable.

Decided to go OOB and risk the decals for a RA version. As I did'nt drill out the smoke pod holes could I have a distance to the leading edge of the fairing from the wing joint please.

Oh yes mate, the lead pellets, not the steel Ball Bearings (BBs). :D

Got my Hawk this morning. Looks great! Some lovely detail there. :thumbsup:

Edited by Murdo

Can confirm that inside of intakes easily sprayed with an airbrush after assembly :)

On cockpit detailing/detail painting atm - will post a piccy, or two this evening. Aim to have complete airframe by close of play.

Good to see a number of other builds out there - it really is very nice (and simple for a large scale jet).

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Have been decaling the instrument panels - and the stencils/data placards on the sides of the ejection seat head boxes.

Very happy to report decals are ace and settle down beautifully with some micro-sol.

Getting the panel decals lined up was a worry - but all came good and align nicely with moulded detail - still drying off - but they settle down over detail beautifully!

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Just had a look at the kit I picked up on Saturday and part 90 is not a 'short shot'. The offending piece (oleo lower attachment) is molded in full on part 89 and can be seen in assembly sequence 25. I have'nt cut them from the sprues to try, but it looks right to me.