Revell 1:32 Hawk

Iain Ogilvie

err you have finshed a certain green Italian machine haven't you?

Fair cop guv! :)

Just needs a blast of varnish - but Hawk priority now.

It'll have to get finished as I have a stand to fill at the MK show!

Iain

Tut tut Iain. Tell you what, pop the Hawk, as well as any other kits getting in the way, in the post and I'll look after them while you finish the Sagittario ;)

Agreed consoles on the inside but cleverclogs here did them on the outside to start with.

The forward bulkhead in the nose bay was a little fiddly to get straight - check the fuselage mating on that.

The intakes are ingeneous and I found sticking on the inner intake sides/splitters to the fuselage first was a better approach than that suggested in the instructions. The outer side of the intakes fitted absolutely flush which was amazing considering all the intake beneath.

I've gone and cut the flaps off - the upper flap surface needs a bit of the fuselage side tacking on to it?

You do need a good light to work with the red plastic.

Still lovin' it.

Dispatched this afternoon from Hannants :)

X32031 BAe Hawk T.1 Comprehensive Maintenance Marks for...

X32028 BAe Hawk T.1A All Camouflage (Barley) Grey/Mediu...

XA1017 RAF Camouflage (Barley) Grey BS626...

XA1015 RAF Light Aircraft Grey BS627...

So prolly the 100 Sqn jet - especially as they were out in Akrotiri for APC when I was out there for a few weeks in '93.

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Nice thought the Sea Vixen is, it's hardly the high water mark in plastic kits, so if you're going to make a comparison, why not compare with the state of the art? And that won't be Airfix I'm afraid...

Jens

Won't be Airfix yet...

But perhaps the comparison is valid in the sence of the attention the kits have got on this forum. Both have been eagerly anticipated, both have led to a rush of building and (so far) neither has disappointed.

Won't be Airfix yet...

But perhaps the comparison is valid in the sence of the attention the kits have got on this forum. Both have been eagerly anticipated, both have led to a rush of building and (so far) neither has disappointed.

Certainly not with those making them.

Hmmm...

Nose gear bay in - very nice.

Airbrake interior in - great fit...

Nose gear leg - just been dry fitting and wondering if I have a short shot on the compression oleo? Nosewheel pivot section ends up horizontal - where it shouldn't be - and instructions show a section I can't see (no - I haven't cut anything off without realising - have checked!).

Edit - part 89 definitely appears to be missing it's top link (shown painted 'H' in the side view drawing) comparing it to the instruction sheet - this link appears to just be moulded with one half - i.e. not part 90 - but that section missing on mine?

Can anyone take a look at theirs/confirm/grab a photo?

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Not a difficult fix - just caused some head-scratching - and something to be aware of!

Oh - and don't cut the oleo section off part 97 like I just did! <ping> - buggered if I know where that is now... :(

Time for a break methinks.

Iain

hows the cockpit detail and sidewalls and such?

the red plastic makes it a bit hard to tell in the photos

Main tub not bad - no detail on fuselage inner sides where I think there should be some structure. All easy fix and no problem!

Panels I think are very good.

No-doubt there'll be a resin 'pit along soon ;)

Iain

Nose gear leg - just been dry fitting and wondering if I have a short shot on the compression oleo? Nosewheel pivot section ends up horizontal - where it shouldn't be - and instructions show a section I can't see (no - I haven't cut anything of without realising - have checked!).

Edit - part 89 definitely appears to be missing it's top link (shown painted 'H' in the side view drawing) comparing it to the instruction sheet - this link appears to just be moulded with one half - i.e. not part 90 - but that section missing on mine?

Can anyone take a look at theirs/confirm/grab a photo?

Iain

Mine's the same - no support for the nosewheel strut on part 89; it looks like a mirror image of 90:

DSCF0272.jpg

Looks like a short shot - Revell's test shot pictures show a complete leg:

http://www.revell.de/?id=950&L=1

Edited by XV571

Not a difficult fix - just caused some head-scratching - and something to be aware of!

The pain is it also attaches to part 91, just had a close look at the instructions and the part is just on 89 - I was assuming 89 and 90 were mirror images of each other. Doh!

Only on one side - what's the betting they're all like that?

Thanks for piccy XV571 - exactly what I have.

Bit of fettling should fix but I wonder if we'll see any built examples that appear to be kneeling? ;)

Have I said how much I hate working with red plastic - my eyes are going funny!

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Mine's the same - no support for the nosewheel strut on part 89; it looks like a mirror image of 90:

DSCF0272.jpg

Looks like a short shot - Revell's test shot pictures show a complete leg:

http://www.revell.de/?id=950&L=1

Same as mine...

as it should look like http://www.airliners.net/photo/Canada---Ai...6937ca9aa128513

Edited by Kagemusha

A great start Iain, I may be able to get mine started tonight.....mine will most likely be in the all blue scheme worn by a 92 Sqn Hawk, though I"ll need to check that this had the later seat!

I've not been so excited about a 1/32nd kit since Revell's Hunter was issued!!

Looks like it had the later square headbox seats Bill. Go for it!

Airliners.net Hawk 92 Squadron

Phil