Revell 1:32 Hawk

Iain Ogilvie

I've started so I'll finish (at some point!) - pix shortly.

This will be pretty much out of the box - still un-decided on scheme - may be a 100 Sqn grey bird - and aiming to have something vaguely displayable by Milton Keynes show.

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Of to bed now - but making progress...

So far - everything has gone together really well - just *very* red - come back pale grey - all is forgiven! :)

Can fully understand moulding in red tho - we're only a small part of the market for this.

re2005098.JPG

re2005099.JPG

re2005100.JPG

re2005101.JPG

re2005102.JPG

re2005103.JPG

re2005104.JPG

re2005105.JPG

re2005106.JPG

re2005107.JPG

More tomorrow evening...

Iain

Can not remember the last time i bought a 1/32 kit, probably the Tamiya F4J phamtom, but i'm going to get one of these soon as poss!!

So far - everything has gone together really well - just *very* red - come back pale grey - all is forgiven! :)

Can fully understand moulding in red tho - we're only a small part of the market for this.

re2005104.JPG

More tomorrow evening...

Iain

Nice Looking Kit Ian!

Amazed how long the intake trunk actually is. Would have thought the actual engine face was closer to the cockpit. Oh well just learned something new.

Keep us posted

Cheers,

Iain,

Great build and looking forward to seeing how it comes together. I picked one up late last night when i read it was now available. Having looked over the kit i must say it looks well engineered with great new tooling. Hats off to Revell they really have put the chips on the table and perhaps a contender for Airfix and their Vixen!

Nick

A great start Iain, I may be able to get mine started tonight.....mine will most likely be in the all blue scheme worn by a 92 Sqn Hawk, though I"ll need to check that this had the later seat!

I've not been so excited about a 1/32nd kit since Revell's Hunter was issued!!

Iain,

Great build and looking forward to seeing how it comes together. I picked one up late last night when i read it was now available. Having looked over the kit i must say it looks well engineered with great new tooling. Hats off to Revell they really have put the chips on the table and perhaps a contender for Airfix and their Vixen!

Nick

You mean Revell's Hawk looks like a Sea Vixen? If not, I fail to see what they're competing against...?

Looking forward to seeing the Hawk Bill - over a beer or two.

Jens

Edited by jenshb

You mean Revell's Hawk looks like a Sea Vixen? If not, I fail to see what they're competing against...?

One would assume he means the quality of the tooling Jens.

Amazed how long the intake trunk actually is. Would have thought the actual engine face was closer to the cockpit. Oh well just learned something new.

I'm 5ft 7" short and had to get my whole body into the intake to do a blade check and still was'nt right up to the engine, so I reckon somewhere over 6ft for the intake legnth. The buggers fitted the intake blanks one day while I was up there. :shit: meself! Another trick was to press the igniters while someone was up the intake......

One would assume he means the quality of the tooling Jens.

Nice thought the Sea Vixen is, it's hardly the high water mark in plastic kits, so if you're going to make a comparison, why not compare with the state of the art? And that won't be Airfix I'm afraid...

Jens

You're building this in the kitchen ... ?

Nice thought the Sea Vixen is, it's hardly the high water mark in plastic kits, so if you're going to make a comparison, why not compare with the state of the art? And that won't be Airfix I'm afraid...

Jens

Please, take this somewhere else, hmm?

Edited by pigsty

Well from what I've seen of it and all the other recent Airfix moulds they're good enough for me.

Nice work on the Hawk Iain, seems to be going together very well so far, err you have finshed a certain green Italian machine haven't you?

Rapidly throwing mine together.....going retro and using the supplied tube cement. It's my birthday and I'm acting as old as the numbers in my age add up to!

As Ian said - very good fit but the plastic is very thin so there is a lot of flexure. Some of the locating grooves are quite fine and I'm sometimes unsure which side of the locating ridge the part should go. Add the inboard walls of the main u/c bays last to that part of the assembly as the fit is not specific. Similarly the cockpit floor and bulkheads might more accurately better if stuck to the fuselage before the side consoles are added. Hope the fuselage sides go together when all the gubbins are in place.

There is a helpful grove on the insides of the wings where the flaps can be cut out so I think I'll give that a go.

Lots of details - I think I see early and late fin fairings in the kit.

It looks and feels to be the right size and for the price it is superb. I hope it brings a smile to all that build it.

Any idea why Argos only has one in each branch? If it's testing demand then based on this early BM rush there is a danger they may over order and have to sell them at a much reduced price ... steady there Mr Marples!

Not had any probs with locating parts - side consoles on inside of moulded ridges.

Undercarriage bay - fit the rearward section (with the outside angle) first as this has most precise fit - and work from there.

Iain

Any idea why Argos only has one in each branch? If it's testing demand then based on this early BM rush there is a danger they may over order and have to sell them at a much reduced price ... steady there Mr Marples!

now now!!

i have only 3 on order via argos (ok the wife is also going shopping to day for another!)

i only want 6 anyway, i have far to many 1/72 to get excited