Trumpeter Challenger

434nut

My son is doing his first armour model of the above with the anti-RPG add on, ( Ithink thats what it is)

While peruseing the web, the pictures I found were of the tank in a plain green colour, but it looked different to the green when the black camo is added.Can anyone help by giving me a correct colur, and if possible a match of any acrylic based paints please

ive just picked up the trumpy 35th chally 2 with upgraded bar armour...am i correct in saying these are deployed to Afghanistan and if so are they still in green or have they gone over to sand?...also are the dozer blades fitted as standard?

totally new to tank modelling, so any tips would be great, thanks

(apologies to 434nut for slight thread hijack)

steve

ive just picked up the trumpy 35th chally 2 with upgraded bar armour...am i correct in saying these are deployed to Afghanistan and if so are they still in green or have they gone over to sand?...also are the dozer blades fitted as standard?

totally new to tank modelling, so any tips would be great, thanks

(apologies to 434nut for slight thread hijack)

steve

These should help answer some of your questions as they include one of the tanks in the decals:

http://www.rommelkiste.de/Fahrzeuge/Challe...challyopt7.html

HTH

Andy

I believe the all-green colour is standard NATO Green, whereas when it was green-and-black the green was a little darker (may even have been bronze green). Tamiya offer NATO Green as XF-67 or TS-61.

just as an aside, the side armour including the turret side and all the bar armour is applied 'in theatre' so UK tanks wouldnt have it fitted.

also, all our tanks are now plain green, as it was considered they looked too aggressive with black camoflage markings....or so my mate tells me who is ex-2RTR

HTH

steve

I thought that would be the case regarding the add on armour.

I am in the process of building the UK HETT and trailer from Accurate Armour, but am doing it in green, so no uparmoured Challenger for its load I quess.

Regards,

Mickky

• 2 weeks later...
just as an aside, the side armour including the turret side and all the bar armour is applied 'in theatre' so UK tanks wouldnt have it fitted.

also, all our tanks are now plain green, as it was considered they looked too aggressive with black camoflage markings....or so my mate tells me who is ex-2RTR

HTH

steve

Tanks agressive in black & green? Tanks could be any colour (look good in yellow I reckon) and they're still agressive looking...their tanks it's what they DO! I feel the RTR's shame. Who ever came up with that gem deserves an OBE for sure... :angrysoapbox.sml:

• 4 weeks later...
I believe the all-green colour is standard NATO Green, whereas when it was green-and-black the green was a little darker (may even have been bronze green). Tamiya offer NATO Green as XF-67 or TS-61.

Hi,

I've been out of the army for almost 10 years so this may be irrelevant now, or at least out of date, but we only had one colour of green no matter what we painted, be it land rovers, APC's, tool boxes or the grass......

Perhaps the green looks darker alongside the black? I'm partially colour blind so its all grey to me!

Sam

... we only had one colour of green no matter what we painted, be it land rovers, APC's, tool boxes or the grass......

Perhaps the green looks darker alongside the black? ...

I think you're right Sam, the green usually does look darker alongside the black, very much an optical illusion. The various softskins parked around Aldershot seem to be in the same green with or without the black. Although the latest MAN trucks seem a little more brown to my eyes, but that's going off topic...

Cheers

Chris