Revell / HBM 1/72 Avro Manchester 1a

I've managed to find two spare front row prop/spinner sets from the Frog Shackleton that look as though they might be appropriate. The diameters match, anyway, and I've yet to check the prop diameter. However, mine is going onto an HP56 (one day) so I've rather more flexibility than you have with a real Manchester.

Nice one Neil.

Spars work out well then?

Chris.

Worked easier than I thought Chris on the dry fit. Of course, they need to go together one more time yet for the real test !

Graham,

I've just googled the HP56 to find out what it was. Very interesting, hope to see some pictures as she develops. That's one big aeroplane to rely on two engines !

Edited by woody37

A little while off I fear. My original intentions was to do a developed one with Sabres, thus getting around the problems of not having any Vultures and not having to rework that awful nose turret. However, in reorganising my stack and slinging rubbish, I somehow lost one of the half-modified wings so it was all shelved. I've since obtained a spare set of wings (but as my original set was Airfix and these are Matchbox, it will probably be best to do the whole thing again) and the option of Vultures was a bit irresistable. It does mean that I don't have to do all the necessary mods to the Matchbox nose - maybe would have been right for an HP56. Or Happisborough, as a suitable name.

Bit more progress.

The landing light cutout has been added to the wing and an acetate cover scratch built. Just got some lenses from Paul at Little Cars (Thanks Paul recieved them this morning). Still need to add the partition strip between the lamps:

DSC02482.jpg

Also made a start on the interior. Still got a few bits n pices to do. Also still got the Lanc gauges x 4, suspect the Manchester never as it only had two engines, but I can live with it as you don't really get to see the detail inside. Should have the fuselage together this weekend...

DSC02483.jpg

DSC02486.jpg

DSC02485.jpg

DSC02484.jpg

The wings are on !

Got the interior finished last night and grafted the replacement mid upper fairing in place and blended. Also added the two little intake ducts inboard of the engines by scratch building a box section, drilling the wing out and inserting the box in before blending. Added the landing light partition plate too.

DSC02487.jpg

now this is really taking shape, and it looks very nice indeed. There's something about the Manchester I really like, maybe its because they're seldom seen. Mating the conversion wings to the Revell kit really looks like it'll pay dividends for the finished look.

Thanks for the comments guys. Whilst this has been a challenging build, it's also one of the most enjoyable. She's in the paint shop now after spending a few hours masking all those little pieces !

This is my first time using Xtracrylix. Diluted with Testers acrylic thinners from the Hobby Shop, it goes on a treat.

DSC02491.jpg

Edited by woody37

Hi

Sure I remember seeing somewhere that the props were 16" diameter, a lot bigger than the Lancs. I'll see if I can remember where and look it up for you Also, the rear turret is an FN4, same as a Stirling, Sunderland and I think early Mk of Wellibag

regards

Paul

Edited by Honeybee

That's really impressive Neil - excellent modelling skills being shown here! It's great when you have "challenges" - as long as they work out OK! When are you going to add the central fin?

Max

That's really impressive Neil - excellent modelling skills being shown here! It's great when you have "challenges" - as long as they work out OK! When are you going to add the central fin?

Max

Thanks Max. No I'm not adding a ventral fin. The MkIa had the Lancaster arrangement of two larger fins rather than three smaller ones on the earlier MkI.

OK, cheers Paul. The props remain a problem, but the Lancaster rear turret will be smoothed over on top and the frames painted to the same pattern as the Manchester turret. Whilst it won't be correct, it will look similar.

Bit more done in the paint shop today while I'm off work...

DSC02494.jpg

DSC02492.jpg

Cheers guys. It won't be staying gloss for long Rowan, only long enough to get the decals down ! The black was Xtracrylix night black with a touch of light grey and red to scale it down a bit. Looking forwards to getting some weathering done on it, that's where the real fun is !

I don't want to buy new engines just for the props, already spent quite alot on this - Revell model, resin conversion, canopy masks, QB gun barrels not to mention masking tape, paints etc ! On the other hand, if you look at how many hours fun there's to be had, it's pretty good value.

Edited by woody37

Been busy again today. The landing lights are now in place and I've put a few decals on Colin is sending me some from his decalbank, so markings will go on when I've got them. The wings have been sprayed matt so that I can do a bit of weathering....

DSC02497.jpg

DSC02496.jpg

DSC02495.jpg

• Like 1