BEA Ju52/3m? According to Model Aircraft monthly...

yeehah1

03-11-07

Ok, I would like to know a little more about this, especially if there are marking available...

According to this month's Model Aircraft Monthly (vol 6,issue 11, Nov 2007), an article Croydon Airport states that BEA operated two Ju 52/3's (captured), converted, as did British Airways Ltd (page 46, the little blurb text under the photo bottom left).

Does anyone have anymore information on this and if there are, actually, any markings available or if it might be possible to cobble them together?

Thanks in advance

Liam

liam, give me a few hours I can find some stuff. There were quite a few Ju52s used by UK airlines in the immediate post war - most of them carried RAF serial numbers before going onto the civil register.

Railway Air Services was another IIRC. War Prizes had a chapter on them.

Edited by Dave Fleming

OK, dug out War Prizes, which has photos of three BEA Ju52/3ms - G-AHOF, -AHOD and AHOC. My reading is that BEA used 11 Ju 52s

Colours are basically overall natural aluminium(dull, not shiny) with 'BRITISH EUROPEAN AIRWAYS' (probably in red) under the windows and large Registration letters on the rear fuselage (in black?). Engine nacelles were either dark (Black or Red?)or metal. Some carried variations on BEA's logo on the fin.

BEA called these the 'Jupiter' class in memory of the pre-War British Airways aircraft G-AERX 'Jupiter'*

Regs were G-AHBP (The only aircraft in RAS livery), -AHOC, -AHOD, - AHOE, -AHOF,- AHOG, -AHOH, -AHOI, -AHOJ, -AHOK, -AHOL, Registrations were carried above the wings, so presumably below them as well (e.g. G-AHOF has G-A on the port upper wing and HOF on the starboard)

Quick search found this:

http://gerhards-markenseite.de/ju52/ju1947_2.html

SM decals do a set for BEA Ju 52s

http://www.martlesham-models.com/proddetai...p?prod=SM72-184

British Airways used a few Ju 52s pre-war.

30-40s2.jpg

The Cosford Casa 352 is painted to represent one of these

Edited by Dave Fleming

• 2 months later...
Hi Liam

bit late with this or indeed what scale you want?

Revells 1:48 Ju-52 Berlin Olympic Games edition HAS the BEA decs as an alternative scheme.

BTW I have it on e-bay at the moment if your interested?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:IT&ih=015

Adrian

30-01-08

Never too late mate....just wondering if I buy it where the heck I'll put two Ju58@s in 1/48????

I'll watch the auction and see where it goes....

Thanks for the heads up.

Liam

• 3 months later...

If I remember correctly, BEA used the JU-52's on the channel islands run but when the Islanders complained about the German connection they were punted north to Renfrew.

stevie