Revell 1/72 Lanc, 106 Sqn

Decalling has been completed! There aren't too many decals on the Lanc really, so it was a fairly quick process.

p1060519.jpg

The walkway lines need joining up at the bottom with a touch of black paint. Otherwise it has been fairly painless!

p1060520h.jpg

p1060522x.jpg

It's looking gorgeous Rowan.

That clear coat certainly looks to be worth a try - where can you get Zero Paints?

Thanks

Cliff

Hiroboy.com is where Zero Paints live. I understand that the guy who runs Hiroboy has developed his own paint range - Zero Paints - and so for now they are the only place you can buy them from. Good quality stuff and the bonus is the generously sized

bottles

A link to the clearcoat I used

and no, I don't work for him.... :P

Note to self: try new techniques on older planes or ones you don't mind if it goes a bit pete tong!

I've been combining two weathering techniques and backpeddling to fix it since the last update! :P

See what you think of my somewhat questionable results!

On goes the liquid mask...

p1060528x.jpg

Then the base staining - courtesy of Tamiya's X-19 Smoke...

p1060531y.jpg

Then remove the liquid mask and - oh my! what have I done? so, what to try and blend it in?

p1060534i.jpg

So I try salt weathering and applying some more smoke, along with some dark green and brown to achieve a smoother blend...

p1060541.jpg

Which is sort of does, but also leaves a very salt residue all over the place...

p1060545.jpg

But after some vigourous scrubbing with an old toothbrush and then a thin coat of Klear, it starts to look a bit better. I think...

p1060552.jpg

This trouble i'm going through is all in an effort to get the aircraft looking like a wartime Lancaster, like this picture

5700raw.jpg

This is actually R5700 after her belly landing at Hardwick in 1943. As you can see, the paintwork is heavily stained on the wings and is very patchy in appearance.

I still have the white oxide exhaust stains to do, so the wings aren't 'finished' yet. I've also got to think about how i'm going to make the underneath more interesting. Any thoughts about that would be appreciated!

Edited by rowmk9

Ok, so I think i've helped save it a little bit more. I've sprayed the base colours lightly on the wings to try and reduce the contrast of the patches. I think its getting there now.

p1060562i.jpg

Edit: I forgot to add, that the flash from the camera is quite harsh so in natural daylight the contrast is alot more subtle....honest...

Edited by rowmk9

I think its not looking too bad now, in my humble opinion. I've added some white oxide staining from the exhausts as this was very apparent on wartime Lancs, some really looked filthy!

p1060570x.jpg

She certainly looks like she's a well-used Lanc Rowan, you've made a damn good job of weathering her. When it comes to the white staining from the exhausts, it's a peculiarity of Lancs that there is very little staining on the outboard side of both outboard engines, this is very noticeble in all such shots as the one below. Must be something to do with the airflow over the wings I guess!

Max

lancovertarget.jpg

Thanks guys, I think I've saved it! :P

Woody37 - The white oxide is sprayed on. First with Lifecolor Tensecrom 'white oxide', then a small amount of very thinned out Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan.

And by looking at the pic you've provided Max, the outer engine does indeed show alot less oxide staining. I shall try and modify my efforts!

Rowan

That's a mighty fine build so far - you've certainly set a high standard for others to try and emulate!

All the best

Mark

Thanks guys, I think I've saved it! :P

Woody37 - The white oxide is sprayed on. First with Lifecolor Tensecrom 'white oxide', then a small amount of very thinned out Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan.

And by looking at the pic you've provided Max, the outer engine does indeed show alot less oxide staining. I shall try and modify my efforts!

I apologise for being a thread-junky :P I've made a fair amount of progress on R5700 today.

Here is the current state of play - propellers are now on, as are the wheels. There's not a great deal left to stick on now, a few things like rudder balances (or whatever they're called!), wingtip lights, landing gear doors etc, etc.

p1060575.jpg

p1060577.jpg

Then I can think about flat varnish, removing the window masking and of course the resin gun barrels. :)

Edited by rowmk9

Quick question with hopefully a simple answer.

Were either of these parts on a 1942 build Lancaster Mk.I?

p1060580u.jpg

The part on the left is the chute that exits by the W.O. position and the other part (a scoop) goes on the Lancaster's starboard fuselage, just aft of the main spar.

I'm not a Lancaster expert so I don't know exactly what they do or if they should be on my Lancaster, which was flying in January 1943.

Any help would be appreciated guys :)

The long piece on the right most definitely shouldn't be on your Lanc Rowan, it's a late war addition designed to improve the heating of the inside of the plane. Daz could be right about the other being a trailing fairlead, it's shape seems a bit odd. It really looks like this:

fairleadbetter.jpg

taken last summer at the Australian War Memorial museum, G for George which dates from 1943!

Max