Revell 1/72 Lanc, 106 Sqn

Cheers Daz and Galgos. I did think the intake for the heater shouldn't be there on early Lancasters because of some period photographs I had seen, but I had to check to make sure!

What I thought was a chute is a trailing aerial fairhead - it makes sense really, considering its position. I'll put it on.

R5700 is almost finished :frantic:

Edited by rowmk9

I've finshed her!

Here is R5700, coded ZN(O)G, of 106 Squadron RAF, circa 1943.

My little tribute to the non-famous and unknown aircrew of Bomber Command is complete. I'll also take this opportunity to pay my respects to the civillians who died as a result of allied bombing, whatever their nationality.

p1060601.jpg

p1060634n.jpg

p1060617h.jpg

p1060620p.jpg

p1060607y.jpg

p1060606b.jpg

p1060624x.jpg

p1060630o.jpg

p1060642p.jpg

p1060636t.jpg

The final parts went well without too many hiccups. The resin machine gun barrels were very nice and I'm glad I bought them - even if they were a squeeze getting them into the turrets! The final flat coat went a bit patchy in places with a few milky stains, for example on the nose. I'm not too upset about this, as the period photos I've seen of Lancs show how grubby and stained they looked, so I think it adds rather than detracts from the overall effect. In a similar vein, I probably could've made the exhaust staining a bit more visible as Lancasters really got dirty around the engines, but this will do for me...

Thanks to all who contributed comments and advice, I've had fun building this one! :)

Edited by rowmk9
  • Like 1

I am sure you are very proud of that build, and so you should be. It's a fine tribute too to all the thousands of bomber crews who perished om operations or training.

Rowan

That is an excellent build for which you must be very proud! I bet you were rather worried about the weathering when you first applied it, there was all the makings of a disaster there but the final result looks spot on for a war weary old battle horse. Well done mate, the rest of us in the SIG build have a lot to do to reach that standard!

Mark

Rowan

That is an excellent build for which you must be very proud! I bet you were rather worried about the weathering when you first applied it, there was all the makings of a disaster...

Mark

Indeed Mark, I was very worried at one point, to be honest it still looked a bit naff until I put the final flat coat on which levelled out some of the tonal variation. I was mightily relieved.

Thanks all for the very kind comments, I am very happy with the final result (though there is always room for improvement!). I'll continue popping in to the GB cause I've had fun watching other peoples builds.

Edited by rowmk9

I agree: she came out very well. Must say I initially raised my eyebrows at the weathering, but to tell the truth it came out really well. Your confidence is vindicated! Another thing: don't those Quickboost gun barrels add something extra to the kit? I was so pleased with them on my Lanc built last year I must go and buy loads more...

I agree: she came out very well. Must say I initially raised my eyebrows at the weathering, but to tell the truth it came out really well. Your confidence is vindicated! Another thing: don't those Quickboost gun barrels add something extra to the kit? I was so pleased with them on my Lanc built last year I must go and buy loads more...

Thanks! Well I wasn't so confident when it looked a mess! But if you're in a bad place the best thing is to keep moving,and so I pushed on and eventually got it to a decent finish, wiping the sweat off my brow as I did so! I guess thats the way to learn new techniques though, sometimes you've just got to take the plunge and go for it, regardless of the consequences.

And yes, the quickboost barrels are very neat, I'm glad I used them. They're only a small part, but I do think they help with the overall 'look' of the aircraft.

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments - I'm eagerly watching the other Lancs being built in the GB, R5700 needs some more friends!

• 4 years later...

Hi Rowan,

I have been approached by one of our customers who would like to make contact with you. His uncle was the navigator

on this aircraft when it crashed landed. If you can possibly contact on the business phone no or email and can then pass

on his details. You have done a marvellous job.

A.J.Aviation details are on the forum under shop section.

Thank you.

Jan Eastwood. AJ Aviation.

• Like 1