Revell 1/72 Lanc, 106 Sqn

Ok I have caved in, I bought a Revell 1/72 Lancaster kit and I'm in the GB. I just couldn't resist!

I'm planning on building her as ZN(O)G (R5700) from 106 Squadron. This aircraft has no nose art and is not famous in any way whatsoever. On 14th January 1943 the aircraft was damaged during a raid on Essen and crash landed at Hardwick as a result of the damage. Subsequently repaired, she went missing in action on 22nd September 1943.

This will be my little tribute to the many lancasters and in particular their crews who fought and died during the Second World War. A sobering 3,345 Lancasters were shot down during the war, with the loss of 21,000 aircrew. The majority of Lancasters would have carried no form of personalisation such as nose art, so this aircraft will represent one of those unknown aircraft that failed to return home.

Here is a pic of the box which pretty much everyone will be familiar with...

p1060442.jpg

I'm going to have to get the codes for this aircraft from aftermarket sources, but I can make a start on the internals. I believe the aircraft would be a B.I with needle bladed props. The side windows would probably have been painted over (the ones that were normally painted over anyway).

Edited by rowmk9

This will be my little tribute to the many lancasters and in particular their crews who fought and died during the Second World War. A sobering 3,345 Lancasters were shot down during the war, with the loss of 21,000 aircrew. The majority of Lancasters would have carried no form of personalisation such as nose art, so this aircraft will represent one of those unknown aircraft that failed to return home.

Nice one. :thumbsup2:

Sometimes, I think we all get a bit carried away with attractive paint schemes and exciting histories.

Will be a nice tribute to all those "un-named", fallen young lads.

Will be very interested in this. :)

A little bit more background, after searching the RAF History website.

The night that R5700 was lost, the 22/23rd September 1943, was Bomber Commands first major raid on Hannover for two years. It was the first of four major raids on the city and on this particular night, 711 aircraft were dispatched which included 322 Lancasters. 26 bombers were shot down, of which 7 were Lancasters and R5700 was one of these.

Interestingly, the 8th Air Force also participated in the raid on Hannover sending 5 B-17's on their first ever night-time operation. Perhaps the Americans were evaluating night bombing for themselves seeing as their daylight bombing campaign was at that stage in trouble. They had of course recently suffered terrible losses on the Schweinfurt-Regensburg mission in August.

I've ordered a few bits for my model so when they arrive I'll start building her.

Edited by rowmk9

Sometimes, I think we all get a bit carried away with attractive paint schemes and exciting histories.

I agree. I tend to keep away from the special anniversary markings and such like. I much prefer a standard line aircraft.

I'm watching this one with interest. :popcorn:

Some goodies arrived today for my Lanc.

p1060463.jpg

Codes, PE set for the cockpit, pre-cut masking and replacement wheels and gun barrels. A nice little haul.

I probably could have asked for the codes from the BM faithful, but I wanted some spare codes for myself for other future projects :evil_laugh: .

Now I've got these bits I will be making a proper start, hopefully with some build pics in the not-too-distant future.

Edited by rowmk9

I probably could have asked for the codes from the BM faithful, but I wanted some spare codes for myself for other future projects :evil_laugh: .

You can never have too many spare codes. Especially if it means you can build more Lancs. :)

Indeed Smiffy, indeed.

anyway, I've got some progress shots of the cockpit so far. I do like the detail in the revell kit, and the PE set does add a little as well. Though I'm not too sure about the greyish colour of the photoetch.

p1060464l.jpg

p1060466j.jpg

Sorry for the out of focus shot on the above pic. I'll take a better pic in daylight and hopefully there'll be more bits stuck on :P

p1060468b.jpg

The repeater compass looks as though it's fitted onto the IP,it should be on the port cockpit wall,slightly aft

of the IP,between it and the control column.

Don't forget the F.E's "dicky seat" between frame 2 and 3 from the IP coaming.

Fit it folded up(they were seldom used actually),it's upper edge sits just level with the bottom of

the greenhouse glass.

Fill the two big holes in the back of the pilot's seat and add the two vertical bracing strips

that run from the base of the folding armor plate to the bottom of the seat.

Remove and refit one or both armrests in the vertical position(you can't get into or out of the seat

with the right one down).

Take the pip from underneath the seat and locate it about 4mm further forward on it's plinth.

It sits too far back in relation to the sliding pilot's side window panel

(the control column should be further forward too really).

I went mad with mine(it still needs final finishing) adding a lot of detail into the

bomb aimer's "hole",the fusing and electrical panels and associated wiring,the handrails,

the B.A's couch,bomb sight and mounting brackets.

Up in the cockpit I added the dicky seat,throttles,trim wheels,repeater compass,rudder pedals,

the brake handle on the control column,the headbash pad on the fuselage front edge under the

green house,even the Nav's anglepoise lamp over his table!!!.

I did however,forget to add the Nav's blackout curtain :lol:

I do like that PE,I scratched it all into mine and used the kit's IP and F.E panel decals,

the PE would have made it a damn sight easier.

All the best with it,you're doing a good job so far.

Mark

The repeater compass looks as though it's fitted onto the IP,it should be on the port cockpit wall,slightly aft

of the IP,between it and the control column.

All the best with it,you're doing a good job so far.

Mark

Thanks Mark, you seem like a knowledgeable guy when it comes to Lancasters! I was following the photoetch instructions when I put the compass in, and although it may be more accurate to remove it from the panel and place it slightly more aft, I think I'll leave it. I'll likely damage it trying to move it.

I may try and incorporate some of your tips into my build, seeing as I'm going to tackle the parts you mention tomorrow.

Some more progress on the interior today. I've added in a simple scratch built seat for the flight engineer, in it's stowed position on the starboard fuselage side. It's made of card with white-tac for the cushion, with a spare machine gun barrel providing the hinge.

I've also added in two hand rails from wire. I'm not overly concerned if they are 100% correct, it just adds a little more on that side of the cockpit.

p1060472f.jpg

p1060480c.jpg

p1060481h.jpg

p1060487u.jpg

There's a few little touch ups needed and a couple of other bits, but otherwise I'm happy with the interior as it is.

Construction continues...

The fuselage halves are now together, forever locking away most of the detail that is in the cockpit, oh well!

Also, the wings have been built up along with the first stages of the undercarriage bays. I've decided not to cut the wings in half to increase the dihedral. I can live with it, plus I want to finish this soon so I can enter an aircraft into the Vietnam GB.

p1060489v.jpg

p1060490x.jpg

A quick tip for those building the Revell Lancaster.

The propeller hubs are a *insert expletive* to fit poperly and still make them rotate smoothly. I've trimmed away a little of the retaining wall on the inside of the engine block and it seems to help a bit. Also give the back of the propeller hubs and face of the engine nacelle a little smooth down with some fine sandpaper to help the process.

Here's a pic to show where I've trimmed (or hacked as the case is) away some plastic. Don't go too mental, otherwise your propeller will fall out!

p1060493.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a bit slack on the updates, but my build has been slowly progressing over the last week or so, mostly on the weekends of course.

I'll let the pictures do most of the talking.

p1060498n.jpg

Fuselage halves together, clear bits in place and masked up (the curved bomb aimer plexiglas was subsequently maksed with liquid masking)

p1060502b.jpg

Canopy framing sprayed black first, then the entire top surface was painted in RAF Dark Earth

p1060505.jpg

Dark green now in place. Not perfect, but the patchyness to the finish is something I quite like, hopefully it'll look ok when i get to weathering it. The disruptive pattern isn't 100% either, but it'll look much better when the undersides are painted.

p1060508g.jpg

See!!!? Starting to look like a Lanc now.

Nice work! Any chance of a head on shot? There has been quite a lot of debate as to the outer wing dihedral on this kit and, as I have an example in the stash, it would help me to decide if I want to do it straight from the box or not. From what I can see of yours it doesn't look too bad.

Martin

Thanks Antony!

Nice work! Any chance of a head on shot?

Martin

Of course Martin, here you go.

In true Blue Peter style, here's one I made earlier

p1060510r.jpg

And here's R5700 in her current state

p1060511v.jpg

People can come to their own descisions on the dihedral. I personally think its a bit shallow, especially on the upper surfaces, but I can just about live with it! :P

Some more progress too, I've varnished the whole model in prep for decalling.

I used Zero Paints pre-thinned clearcoat, which is sort of designed with car models in mind but I find it is such brilliant stuff that I use it on my aircraft now as well. Decals love it!

p1060516v.jpg

Sadly, I've lost the retaining lug on the port outer propeller hub, so that prop will have to be stuck on. I've still got the base, but I'm not prepaired to rip off the whole nacelle to find the lug and reattach it to the base. shame that!

Thats a lovely finish Rowan. How did you apply the clear coat? I might get some of this myself.

Howard

Thanks Howard (and Woody37!)

The clearcoat was applied with an airbrush, I believe that is the only method of proper application for that particular product. Nice and easy stuff to use though, as its pre-thinned and gives a great glossy finish after two coatings.