What If II GB

...thought an example/inspiration of a `kitbash` and `alternate markings` was in order.....

As well as a good excuse to share a few photos of some very nice models ;)

If we get plenty of entries, which we should, then 2 categories seems sensible.

Dan

Sorry if my foolish question resulted in 2 categories being created! :(

And having researched it a bit further (and being in a bit of jet phase right now), I'm thinking of a Naval Typhoon.

Or maybe an un-holy alliance between a Harrier GR9 and a Joint Strike Fighter to create a true Harrier 3.

Mmmmm :lol:

Cheers,

Sorry if my foolish question resulted in 2 categories being created! :(

It was a perfectly sensible question Dermot and everyone seems to think the two categories is a good idea so thank you ;)

And having researched it a bit further (and being in a bit of jet phase right now), I'm thinking of a Naval Typhoon.

Or maybe an un-holy alliance between a Harrier GR9 and a Joint Strike Fighter to create a true Harrier 3.

Mmmmm :lol:

Cheers,

Both those ideas sound interesting and have lots of potential :D

do i have to submit a story and idea now to get submitted. i have a few but im undecided yet as to which project to go for, though i do have a nice idea for a very wild paint finish for a hunter inspired by miss demeanor

Can keep it a secret til the GB kicks off or tell all now Rob. Entirely up to you.

i think ill keep it secret for now as the paint finish is going to be a bit of an experiment very unusual could easily go wrong.

and what makes it even weirder i wont have any control of how the paint goes on, it will not be applied with an airbrush, hairy stick, or rattle can,

and certainly not mr bean style with a fire work.

that should keep you guessing.

and what makes it even weirder i wont have any control of how the paint goes on, it will not be applied with an airbrush, hairy stick, or rattle can,

and certainly not mr bean style with a fire work.

I KNOW !!! You're gonna let Mikey (Teutel from American Choppers) do it! He's a painter now too you know!

I KNOW !!! You're gonna let Mikey (Teutel from American Choppers) do it! He's a painter now too you know!

nope though id love to have a paint job done by him brilliant show that.

actually the paint method will give great risk of going wrong.

i havent done it for a while will take practice.

nope though id love to have a paint job done by him brilliant show that.

actually the paint method will give great risk of going wrong.

i havent done it for a while will take practice.

you're gonna attach a paint bottle (usually done with poster paint) to the ceiling with a rope, place the model on the floor, then set the bottle spinning and rotating over it - sort of 80s splatter/line art.......

After much thought, I'm going to build a "Zwilling" for this. I suggested a Cold War Zwilling earlier, but I'm

now thinking along the lines of a WW2 British Zwilling. I have a backstory involving the destruction by intensive

Luftwaffe bombing of almost all Britain's bomber design/development capacity, and a large chunk of production

capacity. (Think of the Supermarine bomber being abandoned after the prototype was destroyed, and apply that

to Avro's and Handley Page as well). As a result, Britain commences an Emergency Heavy Bomber programme,

part of which involves looking into adaptations of existing designs.

De Havilland investigates an expansion of the Mosquito. . .

Yes, a Twin Mossie! Now, three engines, or four with a push/pull installation in the middle?????. . .

And then, what further applications might be found? - they'll need a long-range heavy fighter in the

Pacific Theatre for the invasion of Japan, seeing as the American Manhattan Project failed. . .

I keep hearing "Catalancaster" in my head... a Catalina with Lancasterian features (like the wings) with a HUGE range for SAR purposes...

That gives me a mental picture of a Lancaster based somewhere near Barcelona!

:sorry:

Gaz that TwinMossie sounds fantastic! Go with the four engines but tell me what the other two crew are up to ;)

Basosz your idea also sounds equally interesting. Got an image in my head that looks little the Japanese um, thingy, you know the big four-engined one who's name escapes me now.

Gaz that TwinMossie sounds fantastic! Go with the four engines but tell me what the other two crew are up to ;)

Basosz your idea also sounds equally interesting. Got an image in my head that looks little the Japanese um, thingy, you know the big four-engined one who's name escapes me now.

Well, in the heavy bomber, the crew consists of pilot, navigator, bombardier, and air gunner- there's a remote barbette somewhere-as a heavy bomber the Bisquito(!) can't rely on

performance like its little brother . . .

The long-range heavy fighter has 2 crew, pilot and relief pilot for those long over-ocean missions. . .

I fancy the four-engined version myself, but I can't help wondering about possible tip clearance issues on the pusher propellor. . .

Edited by MadNurseGaz

Cheers for clearing that one up Gaz. Nice to know no-one's gonna be bored during the mission :D

Can't see there being any more an issue for clearance on the pusher prop than on the tractor prop if the fuselage run parallel.

Cheers for clearing that one up Gaz. Nice to know no-one's gonna be bored during the mission :D

Can't see there being any more an issue for clearance on the pusher prop than on the tractor prop if the fuselage run parallel.

I was thinking more about the blade tips hitting the ground during ground running, it'll still be a taildragger . . .

I was thinking more about the blade tips hitting the ground during ground running, it'll still be a taildragger . . .

How about a mixed-power arrangement? Three piston engines for getting to and from the target, with a turbojet mounted behind the centre engine to provide power for a dash over the target. The intakes for the jet could be in the leading end of the inner wing mounted outside the prop disc.

How about a mixed-power arrangement? Three piston engines for getting to and from the target, with a turbojet mounted behind the centre engine to provide power for a dash over the target. The intakes for the jet could be in the leading end of the inner wing mounted outside the prop disc.

That's a great idea, Enzo, the Pacific theatre heavy fighter could be configured that way, but the Emergency Heavy Bomber enters service before turbojets are ready for service. . .

See what you've done, I'll have to build two of the buggers now . . .

Hmm, see what you mean Gaz, perhaps the three engines will be enough to get her along at a fair pace. Although Enzo's idea of fitting a jet engine has got me thinking about what would need to be done with the undercarriage on a jet-engined Mossie...

Hmm, see what you mean Gaz, perhaps the three engines will be enough to get her along at a fair pace. Although Enzo's idea of fitting a jet engine has got me thinking about what would need to be done with the undercarriage on a jet-engined Mossie...

Well, you could fit 2 little axial-flow jets actually either side of the "middle" prop nadelle and use a standard undercarriage, OR you could fit the jet behind the undercarriage with intakes as Enzo suggested and still use a standard U/c, or maybe stress the airframe to allow the use of just the two "outboard" landing gears..

I wonder how the "Bisquito" would fare with three Bristol Centauruses instead of Merlins. . .

We'll get this concept into plastic yet. . . Perhaps I need to assemble a technology demonstrator . . .

Edited by MadNurseGaz