Resin Spitfire Wheels

EV2UK

Hi guys.

Just a quick one.

I'm just going to put an order in to Barracuda for a few 1/32 Spitfire bits but do any of you know if Roy's wheels are weighted..? I can't decide weather they are or not from the pictures

http://barracudacals.com/proddetail.php?prod=BR32006

My other option are the ones from Mastercasters, but to be honest, although they're weighted they don't look as good.... the picture shows them with a rather large looking seem..

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MST32054

Thanks

Tony

I'm just going to put an order in to Barracuda for a few 1/32 Spitfire bits but do any of you know if Roy's wheels are weighted..? I can't decide weather they are or not from the pictures

I'd go with the Barracuda ones, they are 'weighted', well more of a flat-spot, but authentically, so they look right, Roy knows his Spitfires. I think the Barracuda ones are also slightly cheaper, not including postage.

Hesitating to put in, here, but you do realise that the Mastercasters set is 5-spoke, and the Barracuda 4-spoke? The Mk.IX did not carry 4-spoke wheels until after D-day, and, even then, they seem to have been mainly reserved for aircraft carrying bombs under the wings (it was a mandatory item, for them.) Mk. VIII & XIV airframes had 4-spoke, from the off, but not the IX.

Edgar

Sorry guys, my mistake I linked the wrong picture. I have ordered a set of five spoke wheels from Roy. Although Tamiyas instructions say to cover the rims over on JE J. But it's nice to know you've got the correct ones undeneath.

Hesitating to put in, here, but you do realise that the Mastercasters set is 5-spoke, and the Barracuda 4-spoke? The Mk.IX did not carry 4-spoke wheels until after D-day, and, even then, they seem to have been mainly reserved for aircraft carrying bombs under the wings (it was a mandatory item, for them.) Mk. VIII & XIV airframes had 4-spoke, from the off, but not the IX.

Edgar

Don't worry about it Edgar, there are far more members here that have known you a long time and welcome and appreciate all the input you have, even if some smart-alec newbies don't know thier bottom from a hole-in-the-ground!

The Mastercasters set is also pretty poor as the tyre is a lift of the Hasegawa tyre, much too flat sided, the Barracuda tyre is much better and as mentioned Roy covers both common types.

So for a post-war RAuxAF Spit XVI from the forthcoming kit do I need the four-spoke wheels then?

Roy's wheels are subtley weighted. Not bulged to an extreme.

I've bought my spitfire resin in the past from Roy.

Buy with confidence - you'll not regret it.

Dave.

So for a post-war RAuxAF Spit XVI from the forthcoming kit do I need the four-spoke wheels then?

Yes, the stronger wheels were aimed, initially, at the XIV & VIII, but were made mandatory for those IXs & XVIs which were to carry bombs under their wings. Another consideration (which will need a heck of a good photo) is that those airframes with the fuselage fuel tanks were supposed to have metal elevators, as well. It's possible, of course, that, post-war, Squadrons never used the tanks ( in flight they were a handling nightmare, apparently,) so could return to using fabric-covered types.

Edgar

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to drag this from the archives, I've been on holiday & trying to get caught up. Edgar, why would a squadron want to revert to fabric elevators, I always thought that metal control surfaces were to be prefered on a spit?

Steve.

Sorry to drag this from the archives, I've been on holiday & trying to get caught up. Edgar, why would a squadron want to revert to fabric elevators, I always thought that metal control surfaces were to be prefered on a spit?

Steve.

One would not go out of one's way to convert an individual Spitfire with metal covered elevators back to fabric covered just for the sake of it. However, it could be that an aeroplane with a damaged metal elevator would be put back to fabric elevators if a pair were available at the back of the station stores, providing no rear tank were fitted. It is also possible that a given Squadron might at some stage be re-equipped with aeroplanes which still had fabric elevators.

Why would a squadron want to revert to fabric elevators, I always thought that metal control surfaces were to be prefered on a spit? Steve.

I can only guess, but maybe, in a lightly loaded aircraft, metal elevators were too sensitive. Looking through a lot of photos, post-war preserved airframes seem to have kept (gone back to?) fabric coverings.

Edgar