Hasegawa 1/48th Hawker Typhoon 1B

Mark

Hi all,

Well, I hope I'm not too late to join in the games here! The KUTA III GB is certainly what I need and so for this one I've dug deep in the bowels of the stash and found the most suitable subject as it is, I think, the earliest stalled project I have. It's the Hasegawa 1/48th Hawker Typhoon IB and I also got the Cutting Edge detail set as well as a set of AeroMaster decals. I had just read Wg. Cdr. Roland Beamont's autobiography 'The Year's Flew Past' and I was in in the mood to do one of his aircraft. The scheme I wanted to do was R7752, PR-G of 609 Sqn which was Wg. Cdr Beamont's aircraft at the time he was commanding the squadron.

But the project stalled for one reason or another, I think I moved and the box just got put away, but this project is certainly around 6 years old! Anyway, here's what I found:

DSC_0042-1.jpg

After having had a good look through, I think that all the parts are still there but one of the propeller blades has broken, so it was off to the buy/sell section to place a classified wanted ad! This was answered very quickly and so any day now I'll have a new prop but the rest of the box contents certainly needed some TLC!

DSC_0043-1.jpg

I'm still not sure what colour the seat should be, but way back then I seemed to think that it should have been black with a green back cushion and grey belts..... :hmmm:

DSC_0045-1.jpg

And so after tidying up the cockpit, the only other thing that was done this evening was to spray the lower wing surfaces white in preparation for the black and white stripes.

DSC_0046.jpg

So, having been firmly KUTA'd I'm off to a good start I think. Who knows, I might actually finish this one!

Edited by Busdriver

Lots of progress today as I had a free day with little to distract me from the primary task of finishing off the Typhoon!

The cockpit was finished off and the seat repainted to something that I think would be more appropriate. Interior green, black leather back cushion and tan seat belts. The rest of the cockpit details were picked out and given a drybrush with Tamiya Metallic Grey, then highlighted with the main colours again. The fit of the resin cockpit was tight and required quite a bit of sanding down on the sides and base before it fitted into the fuselage halves. Once that was done the wings, now with the invasion stripes painted on, was put in place and the tailplanes attached. A few bits of masking here and there and then the power surfaces were sprayed in Xtracolor's Medium Sea Grey.

A few pics will follow in the morning....

Ooh, nice, this I do want to see. LMS has one of these that keeps calling me every time I'm in so will be watching your progress with interest ;)

Morning Col.

LMS has one of these that keeps calling me every time I'm in

Well? What are you waiting for? You know you'll regret it if you go in one day and it's gone!!

Right, coffee and marmite on toast, then straight to the modelling bench! As promised, here's a few pics of the progress so far.

Wings masked off:

DSC_0047-1.jpg

Invasion stripes painted and voila! That's French for 'Bloody hell, it's got stripes'

DSC_0051-1.jpg

One of the kit's most discussed omissions is that the chin intake is incorrectly depicted with just two circular moulds making up the centre of the radiator. There are four pieces that, when viewed from the front, make an 'X' pattern between the two circles. These were created with thin pieces of plasticard:

DSC_0048.jpg

Once cleaned up and painted the part looks much better and I got I lovely warm feeling knowing I'd saved £4 from not buying the Ultracast resin replacement one!

DSC_0055.jpg

Edited by Busdriver

Next to receive some attention was the cockpit. This is the Cutting Edge detail set and although the kit's cockpit is certainly passable, this just adds a little more depth and detail:

DSC_0054.jpg

I'm still not sure what colour the seat is supposed to be. I have read that it was black as per my original painting of it!! :angry:

DSC_0052.jpg

Then it was time to get the cockpit inserted and the wings and tailplanes on. The cockpit required quite a bit of sanding as well as thinning of the inside of the lower wing in order that the cockpit would fit, but after around half an hour of fettling away, I managed it.

Next was the cockpit canopy, which was masked, sprayed interior green then attached. It certainly looks like a Typhoon now!

DSC_0056.jpg

Edited by Busdriver

Lower surfaces are now all masked off in readiness for a coat of Xtracolor's Medium Sea Grey:

DSC_0059-1.jpg

I now use Tamiya's enamel thinners which work beautifully with the Xtracolor gloss enamels:

DSC_0061.jpg

And that was all yesterday's progress and just a few minutes ago the masking of the undersurfaces and cockpit was completed in order to spray the Ocean Grey, again using Xtracolor:

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0062-1.jpg

And here she is in her current state:

DSC_0071.jpg

I've definitely been KUTA'd with this one!! And I'm glad that I have been! :)

That is looking very nice Mark and coming together fast. Advatages of acrylic paint over my normal enamels when it comes topainting stage.

Very nice work so far Mark! Looking good!

And I who thought Marmite was for use in modelling and not eating! ;)

J/k

Cheers,

Håkan

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the comments, but it will be a bit slow on updates etc. as the laptop has decided to die... In fact I'm in the Apple store right now...

I've now been well and truly KUTA'd!!

Despite the death of my MacBook, I can still (just) remember how to do it the 'old' way with Windows, so here's the finished result. Basically, an out of the box build with the addition of Cutting Edge resin cockpit set, a few bits of Eduard etched brass, an after market decal set from AeroMaster depicting a Hawker Typhoon 1b of 609 Sqn. flown by Sqn. Ldr. Roland 'Bee' Beamont. So hardly out of the box really!

She has sat in my stash for years, possibly from when the kit was first released and although started, like many in the stash was never finished.... until now!

Anyway, here she is and I hope you like her as much as I enjoyed building her:

DSC_0163-1.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0173.jpg

• 2 weeks later...